Update to Story Ranking and Trending Section Calculations

I have the facts necessary to know the effects of this, yes. As I said, people benefit off the exposure frequent updates give them.

Say a story is read 50 times by already established readers, right?

Up until now, that would have pushed them down significantly. Now? No. They won’t benefit from that because 50 reads in a whole day is nothing.

5 Likes

It’s more likely than not that this update is terrible

2 Likes

Because you have given it enough time, it’s literally been like 2 days like seriously give it time, if in a month you can find more cons than pros I’ll be happily to say I was wrong

1 Like

And if I’m a month it’s still gave a negative affect then I’ll admit that I’m wrong but until then

1 Like

Sigh. I don’t think you’re understanding how the growth of episode stories works.

7 Likes

It’s already giving negative affects. Have you read this thread at all?

3 Likes

I’m happy to give it more time and see how this thing works without the glitch that’s been going on. It may be beneficial but there are other aspects that cause people to refresh a page. Me personally never refreshed for my rank I refreshed to view my reads.

3 Likes

If in a month it still has a negative affect then we will talk but until then I’m going to give episode the benefit that they know what they are doing

What’s the point in waiting if that will cause more damage to Episode authors alike?

3 Likes

We don’t need a month. Why would all these hard working people want to spend a month losing trending status on something we KNOW won’t work? And then they’d have lost their usual chapter spikes

Want an anecdote?

My story always sits comfortably in the 50-200 mark in fantasy. However, when I update a chapter, I go from there to rank 3 without fail. Why? Because my current readers bring in new readers by reading my chapter all at the same time.

When that happens, my trending goes down to 3 within a few hours. It might even go back to 100 by the end of the day, but for a while it stays there and I get new readers.

8 Likes

What I think is the Common Ground: Underappreciated authors, upcoming authors, and the paid authors are being treated unfairly for this update. This update is causing a lot of issues and it’s messed up to them. Episode does need to fix it. However, the strike or protest is too far. I know it’s terriblw for them but the strike isn’t the way for it. You need to be treated better than this and Episode needs to get this done and correct it but the strike will not do you good. It’ll just cause more harm.

6 Likes

If we no longer had that, people like that who have that experience wouldn’t get their spike.

2 Likes

I have been trying to give episode the benefit of the doubt as well. I do believe they know more then us and their hearts in the right place but I also believe that the communication between episode and the community lacks in some areas. Based off what the community has been told, it will have a negative impact, until episode provides evidence that will prove otherwise the community is going to believe that.

1 Like

Companies make mistakes. Episode has made many in the past. Often they don’t really consider the full gravity of the things they say or do, which is upsetting. I don’t think they considered the fact that the small authors would be affected… especially because the response was “well there’s the new stories section”. What about all the writers stories that aren’t new?

8 Likes

What really perplexes me is why they don’t just update/expand their servers. Why are they making the actual app’s trending feature worse instead of expanding their company? Episode is getting new users every day and new stories every hour. They’re gonna need bigger, faster servers soon anyway. Why would you cut costs instead of expanding? That’s bad business practice

7 Likes

The thing about new stories was in reply to the 48hr thing and yes episode has made some mistakes but it’s all sparked from lack of communication within the company and to the community. And I’m not seeing how small authors are being effected specifically, this update is effecting everyone.

It will affect small authors at a disproportionate rate because bigger authors have the consistent views to keep them on the top of trending

6 Likes

See I had the same question. But again we don’t know the inside works of the company and the future strategies they have for the company. There are far better solutions to stop survers from glitching without this backlash.

1 Like

Lmao I get that everyone is affected, but this completely obliterates any chance for small and new authors to trend and they don’t have a following to fall back to soo :tipping_hand_woman:t2:‍♀

6 Likes

Like, that’s the problem. Before, smaller authors could steal #1 for an hour or two because the updates were frequent. Now that it’s changed for every day, the authors who get 400 views in 1 hour and then no more will get lost behind. The ones who get 5000 in a day consistently will win out.

7 Likes