Update to Story Ranking and Trending Section Calculations

To be fair, I think there’s clearly a glitch at the moment. If Episode had managed to roll this “update” out successfully, it would still suck but not to this extent.

I really wonder why they didn’t try to phase this update in. Surely it would have been possible to go from frequently updating to updating every 2-3 hours then every 5-6 or so, just to see how the servers reacted and how the ranks reacted?

11 Likes

Like expanding the servers! Episode is a growing app and most growing apps grow their servers to match. It seems odd to me

1 Like

I have a brand new story that never hit the stories we ,<3 shelf, in fact its only been published 2 days, and its not on the list… so how exactly does making that new stories list work?

4 Likes

They need to figure out a way for all new stories and low read stories to hit shelves.

People had issues as it was with the way smaller stories got left behind on the app. Why would Episode exacerbate that legitimate concern if they cared about writers?

2 Likes

It is getting reads but that could be due to me boosting the story on IG a few weeks before publishing it… so :woman_shrugging: :joy:

1 Like

Yes I am agreeing with you :joy: but currently it has a huge diverse range of authors at the top of trending that have less then 50k reads. Just pointing out that even some big authors are being negatively impacted by this update and that right now it is effecting everyone.

1 Like

My thing is Episode is going to do what Episode is going to do. They will still have readers and writers regardless if they have hundreds leave. That’s the thing about companies. It SUCKS, but…

We can try and voice our opinion, doesn’t mean it’s going to change… sadly.

5 Likes

Yes someone else above pointed out the hundred of discontinued and hidden stories people want to delete while others have suggested bringing the update time to something like 4 hours rather then 24.

5 Likes

This update ain’t it chief. Could’ve spent the time taken to update the ranks doing something that would benefit the community

2 Likes

yeah the top community line up consists of stories the majority being way far away from 500k reads… and all the stories over 500k are pushed out,… hmm I wonder why they would do that? :thinking::roll_eyes:

Deleting stories would free up so much space! Seriously why is that not a thing yet?

9 Likes

We have been saying that for years :joy::joy: If I could delete the gang story I wrote 4 years ago that would be a dream come true :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

Maybe they didn’t even need to change the trending updates if they had just let people delete stories and expanded their servers. There are so many things that could be done. I bet you the writers portal is inefficient in the way it’s run in general. I use a Mac and it always tells me on Safari that the portal itself is using significant space and making my tabs run slowly. Maybe reforming that would help, too.

6 Likes

That may be due to the amount we are able to do on the writing portal and the coding systems. I have a PC and my portal only works on Chrome not the internet.

1 Like

And who wouldn’t want a reform on the portal? An ability to NOT have all the tutorial stories in your stories section. Seriously, does that mean that every single user has tutorial stories saved in their accounts? That can’t be helping either

5 Likes

The weird thing is that it takes up significant space even when idling on the homepage. I bet there are reforms that could be done instead of this

1 Like

Also, having multiple shelves for the same featured stories probably takes up a lot of unnecessary space, just saying.

3 Likes

I’d love to delete the tutorials, I have honestly never used them, plus I have a few stories I started on the app for spot position purposes only they just linger… so yeah I agree being able to delete stories would be mega useful.

1 Like

People/authors on this forum have been saying that the update has a lot of negative affect because it is affecting them and can see that it will be affecting the not so popular stories more so then then it did before. Within a month or so if this isn’t fixed at all and it stays the same then it is clearly going to stay the same and will continuously have negative effect for authors.