Update to Story Ranking and Trending Section Calculations

I’m not gonna lie, it’s nice not to see the same freaking stories on top. Thanks to the glitch! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

In this update’s best scenario, it will still marginalise small authors who aren’t new.

Since readers tend to favour stories with more chapters, will that now mean new stories will need to have at least 10 chapters in the “new” section just to get noticed?

2 Likes

The glitch does have some benefits. Like we get to see more upcoming stories now that I haven’t seen before. Like ones in 13k and such.

3 Likes

But it has too many cons we cannot ignore.

I hate that there are so many authors who won’t be able to compete with the huge stories’ reads in a day, but were able to compete for a few hours. Once you’re down there, you get so many more reads.

4 Likes

I see what they were trying to do but they failed with it.

1 Like

Awww short stories are goners in that case :joy::joy:

3 Likes

In my opinion, I don’t think it should be updated every hour. We’re talking about small authors that just so happen to get up to TOP 10, and they only get to be up there for an hour? Not every single person in the world will see this update. So, I think it should be like maybe 5 times a day. I believe their servers should be able to at LEAST handle that. That way it does give smaller authors a chance to be noticed if they’re getting some reads in that amount of time.

3 Likes

Yep!! I mean, hopefully releasing a whole short story with the “finished” thing on it would help, but many many readers read stories with upwards of 10 chapters. So basically the period when you’re not gonna get as many reads is the phase when you’re new. Once you get enough chapters out there…

Oops. You won’t be new anymore and so there’ll be no way to get your name out there and improve your rank

3 Likes

The problem is that their reads will be calculated over that time, too. It’s much easier for a smaller author to beat a bigger story’s reads in an hour than in 4. They simply don’t have the readership yet to compete with 4 hours of bigger story

4 Likes

Like imagine the big #1 story is consistently getting 200 reads an hour. A small author comes along and gets 400 reads in an hour. They’d get to #1 in that hour, but if they can’t keep that up, the bigger story will get 800 reads in 4 hours and they’ll be stuck on 400

6 Likes

I just don’t feel like every hour is enough time for stories to be seen on the top.

1 Like

Every hour means that the views are calculated in an hour, though, giving people more of a chance to be seen.

And when you’re seen, you tend to stay up there for a while because people click on the first few stories more often than the later ones. It’s easier to stay on top than to get on top.

4 Likes

Like, when my story trends, it can get thousands of views in a day just from being at the top. Once it’s up there, the fact that it’s up there gives it the exposure to keep it up there

5 Likes

I have never ever ever seen a story with less than 20k reads on top. EVER. I get what you’re saying, but…yeah.

I have, actually. My own and quite a few others. I mean, they don’t stay less than 20k for long when they’re 1st though. People start reading the story like it’s gonna disappear soon, so they get in the 100k range pretty quickly

6 Likes

I honestly don’t understand why the big authors are freaking out about this, most people that have more then 100K reads have a ton of followers on IG as well as Episode, the followers they have usually are pretty loyal to their favorite authors, my story ranked #283 for the longest time now its #79 its almost like the bigger authors are afraid new authors with less reads will be discovered… this update is obviously benefiting me in a positive way, all the authors on this app work hard to put out chapters, and create stories people want to read, and when they get reads its encouraging, what is the problem with new authors, or lesser known authors, or new stories with fewer reads get the spotlight for a little while? I don’t mean to sound rude, but its frustrating when I see stories that have 10 million reads that have been complete for months, and I mean months still in the top 100, obviously those authors are still making money off those stories, share the wealth for crying out loud.

8 Likes

I just feel people are making it seem like it drastically changed their reads and stories and income. It hasn’t. You still are gonna get paid. You still are gonna get reads. Your story won’t be affected if it’s updated. I get it’s still unfair but don’t use that as a constant excuse to not updating and stuff when it doesn’t effect it SO MUCH. Does it still cause some harm? Yes. But not to the extreme or high amount.

3 Likes

I don’t think they should have done this. No one asked them to update it so why do it? Honestly, it was dumb decision and now it is harming some others in the process.

1 Like

EXACTLY! I agree 100%!!!

2 Likes