Update to Story Ranking and Trending Section Calculations

It won’t, because your rank now will be calculated for the whole day so if your story is #135 for 12 hours, but it is let’s say #500 for the next 12 hours, your cummulated rank will be #318, which means your story will be basically invisible on the app.

Now that the app is glitching this is clearly hurting everyone.
I see that today’s update has been done because there are some changes:
If you check the Trending Stories section the first 10-15 stories are all romance. Then if you check the Romance section, the first 10-15 stories are completely different. How is this possible? If a romance story is #1 overall, it can’t be anything but #1 in Romance!
The Comedy section is weird as always, and I hate doing this but I’m not even sure we all see the same things, so here are the two versions of the Thriller/Horror shelf I’ve seen today:

I don’t often come complaining to announcement threads, but this is an issue, which has to be addressed and undone.

16 Likes

My thriller/horror sections aren’t loading either.

I’m all for giving Episode the benefit of the doubt when it comes to things like this and I usually do, but truthfully I don’t know if I can remember the last time we got an update where things didn’t glitch. Do things get tested properly before being released?
Like everyone else, I just want an explanation as to how this will work.

Surely there’d be a “happy medium” somewhere where the TS could be refreshed more than once a day but less frequently than it was before? This once a day thing seems to be causing its own glitch, possibly because there’s more data to compute?

My “New Stories” section typically has anywhere from 2-5 stories in it. Occasionally there’s a story in there that clearly isn’t new. Usually there’s at least one story that isn’t in English (which is fine and all, but I can’t read the story) and there’s quite often a story which says “DO NOT READ” in the title.

16 Likes

I have a story like that, actually 3 stories…

AM I TRENDING?! :star_struck:

10 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Good one.

3 Likes

All everyone is asking for is how this new algorithm works. We deserve to know how these ranks are now calculated as it is going to updated only once a day. @Liz I would appreciate it if you can give us some clarification over this. We just want to know more about how it works.

13 Likes

I think that i prefer the previous ranking system :hushed:

7 Likes

A queen. I wish I could take my #48 back. Haha

2 Likes

I do not like this at all, y’all can’t do anything right. This new update is very disappointing and unfair towards the authors. We spend so much time and we work so hard on our stories and this is what we get? This update is so illogical, the old system was much better. Fix it, Episode.

9 Likes

I think there are a lot of glitches Episode still has to fix. I know for sure my story isn’t ranking 237 in Mystery because when I check the app, it’s 6. But please fix it soon because it’s stressing me out so much.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the ranks are glitching? I was at #98 in romance this morning. :confused: Capture

1 Like

The ranking glitch has been going on forever. This is just a theory, as episode has not yet addressed the issue. But here it comes: The day before yesterday, the rankings were updated (I don’t know exactly) about every 30 minutes. The glitch occurred once a day most of the times. It causes random rankings. Like we experience right now.

Now they have decided to only update the rankings once a day. As the glitch occurs once a day as well, and the rankings are not being updated after that, the random rankings stay.

Part of it is just on the portal, meaning your story is on a different spot on the app. For the romance genre (at least) this issue also occurs on the app, causing stories that are in higher demand, to not be shown on their according spot on the ranks.

I hope I was able to explain it well enough :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I haven’t really stated an opinion here, just made a pros and cons list of the new update.

@episode posting memes on IG like nothing is going on :expressionless: like seriously, @Liz, if you don’t start listening to your community, there won’t be a community to listen to in a short time. You have made a lot of mistakes this year (in my bed, etc.)and you are ending it with the biggest one. We want some answers, we want you to communicate with us. That’s not a lot to ask in my opinion. 🤷🏼

3 Likes

To be fair the IG team is a different team entirely then the forum team and the team that probably did the update.

4 Likes

Liz isn’t responsible for everything, she’s just one person

1 Like

That’s true, but people have been tagging @episode and @episodecreators too, so even their team for IG knows what’s going on. It’s all one company after all.

1 Like

Never said she is 🤷🏼 the first sentence was more of a sarcastic remark, not an attack on Liz

1 Like

Tbh, Liz probably wasn’t even in charge of this. I tagged her because we want to communicate and they are ignoring us as much on IG as here on forums.

4 Likes

Hey pls discuss these things in representation thread. Your comment is off topic. Thank you.

2 Likes

But I’ll delete it and put it on something else. :+1:t4: