Update to Story Ranking and Trending Section Calculations

I think this update is sorta an issue. But I feel like people are kinda taking it to an extreme, especially with the protest. Like one person said, it’s like they are saying,“I can’t get a decent rank, so therefore I refuse to update my story” and “Going on strike and refusing to update your story is a selfish move. What about your loyal readers that have been there since day one?” I feel like people are being very rash with this and ignoring who they are really punishing. Is it really that bad you need to go on strike?

11 Likes

I see the problem but is the problem that big you need to stop working on your story? Just for a rank? It just seems insensitive and reckless to me.

1 Like

I understand that this may seem like it from the outside. The issue is that this is causing serious issues for authors who live off the payment because not having the visibility of the story makes the reads go down very much and therefore directly affects their payment, which they need to pay their bills. Having that happen without a warning is pretty bad. I am not living off Episode btw.

Then you have authors who work just as hard on their stories and want a tiny bit of motivation for their work by getting to see their story rank a bit better upon publishing and maybe gain more readers to share their stories with. There is nothing wrong with wanting a little reward for your work and this update in combination with the long known glitch just caused a lack of motivation for many authors.

Look at it like this: If you study very hard for an exam, end up getting all the points on it but then they tell you “Well, you still failed. There’s no real reason. But just think about it: You learn for life not for a good grade, right?” Would that really motivate you to keep studying hard for the next exam? I don’t know if that comparison works for you, but it’s a try :slight_smile:

16 Likes

As an author, I get how the new ranking system can unmotivate someone. But did you honestly just write a story to get reads? I’m not happy about the new ranking system. But I will not allow that to stop me from writing my story.

With this update strike that people are starting makes no sense to me. You’re punishing your loyal readers by not updating. Some people need to remember why did you start writing in the 1st place. There has to be another way to voice our displeasure without punishing our readers.

14 Likes

Exactly my point. Why punish the readers? Haven’t the authors encouraged us to “write for ourselves and for fun?” Why should a rank impact your whole inspiration to write a story? It is an issue, it is, but don’t be so rash on it and punish your readers for it. Especially what is getting me upset is that the people who never really rank as high are complaining. It’s unfair, I get it but why should a rank impact your hard work for a story. Your pride in your story.

6 Likes

The strike is for episode to fix the rank. At first I was writing to write, but it’s been a year since I began Episode. And now it is now my job. I am writing still for the loyal readers I have, but it is pretty stressful to wonder if I’ll be able to afford things due to something I can’t control.
I, personally, am not going on strike, but I do understand why others have chosen to. The ones who chose to pause their stories are trying to get the old ranking system back. I am frustrated with the new ranking system, but it is out of my control. Right now I just have to hope for it to be fixed.
It’s also frustrating to have your rank fall from #40 something, to #98 within a few days. Then to have it fall from #98 to over #1000 because of the new system.

5 Likes

I would be upset to. I really would and get why others are but punishing your readers that have supported you all the way isn’t it. There has to be another way.

As a level headed person, yes I would react the same way. I have a story and I know how hard it is to maintain your current rank. I’m simply saying be mindful of your readers. I don’t agree with the new ranking update. But doing a strike is not the way to go in my opinion.

3 Likes

Are you disagreeing or agreeing? What is that supposed to mean? I said why not update and publish for a rank. So are you helping my point?

Some authors have certain goals that they wish to achieve. I agree with you about the strike. But I understand why they decided to pause their stories. It’s infuriating to see your story fall so drastically, and especially where the ranks are completely different. The ranks, as of now, are in favor of authors that have been writing on the app for a few years and have already accumulated millions of reads. As for authors who have a lower number of reads on their stories, it will be a lot harder for them to get up to their goal rank now.

2 Likes

I would be with you guys for being upset. Honestly, it’s unfair to you. Very unfair. But I just don’t agree with the strike, that’s all. I support ya’ll all the way but not like this. Has it really impacted you that much? That’s messed up. They do need to fix it.

We have different ways of feeling appreciated. By someone simply reading my story makes me feel appreciated.:woman_shrugging:t6:

3 Likes

Exactly. My story went from trending on number 1 in Thriller to 121 in a day on a shelf that isn’t visible anymore on the app :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

A bunch of authors (including myself) went on strike due to the racism in the community. Since so many authors would not publish new episodes, they released a statement. Unfortunately it was all they could do. But the some of the authors from that strike are joining this strike.

3 Likes

A rank shouldn’t impact an inspiration overall. But they do need to fix this update, which I know you agree with. It’s crucial but not so to take it to the extreme.

I don’t understand how it can fall so drastically so quickly. Mine fell within an hour. :woman_facepalming:t2:

What? Yeah, they need to fix it.

Since it has only been a day, it hasn’t been too bad. But I’m afraid it will be longer than a day and it will affect my income for this month.

1 Like

Smh.

At this point, every Episode update has had a glitch.

2 Likes