(UPDATED) SAVE THE FORUMS- Petition!

I think this switch has been in the works for some time. I do think the plan was to announce a contest as a distraction when they made the announcement because they knew they’d get a lot of anger and pushback about it. And while I don’t believe the community contest had any impact on the decision to close the forums, I do think that once it was organized and announced Episode panicked, and perhaps felt like they had to move up their timetable. Because it’s hard to have a contest as a distraction if the people you’re most concerned about distracting (the forum using authors) have already got a contest of their own going. Obviously that doesn’t have to be what happened, but it’s certainly a logical explanation for the behavior of Episode and timing of events.

8 Likes

I think the whole thing is sus. I mean it really feels like a distraction tactic. Me and the community contest crew pointed out that it doesn’t seem complete. Something about it feels rushed and all the details aren’t as detailed. Also, the obvious…. the deadline is something never done before. It’s never been cut that short, ever. The fact that we are almost halfway through the deadline and it hasn’t been posted on anywhere else except the Discord is strange too.

In note of the community contest… we did find it all a little strange that they reached out to all 4 of us involved in the planning to be betas in the Discord server.

7 Likes

Really?! That’s hilarious. That just makes me think my theory is pretty spot on. :laughing: :rofl: If I may ask, how long was the beta testing?

4 Likes

Ummmm I think like 1 week??? I don’t remember specifically. But they didn’t tell us anything about Discord becoming the new forums :flushed:

4 Likes

Hmm… I wonder if that was how long the Beta test was for everyone, or if they brought you in at the tail end of it because of the forum contest. :thinking: Doesn’t seem like anywhere near enough to the actually Beta test something like this. Then again, Episode is pretty oblivious to reality, so it’s totally possible they thought that’d be enough time. :laughing:

2 Likes

It was that long for everyone. We all “the founders” (as they call it lolll) got group added into the server the same day. I definitely think they should have planned better and… if they had a deadline date to switch everything over (as they mentioned) they should have announced this like months and months in advance so everyone could have plenty of time before the Forums are deleted.

Idk honestly every part of the transition to Discord has been really strange and very suspicious. All of it. The timing, their contest, the beta testing, the sudden announcement, no transparency … it’s so out of the blue and not thoroughly thought through :see_no_evil:

ESPECIALLY because we haven’t heard from them in like a year/ they haven’t been active… :thinking:

7 Likes

I’ve been on this forum for 5 years and it has helped me massively with coding and I’ve helped so many people struggling with their code… there is literally no other place that has this much knowledge about their own app and losing so many guides will only backfire on them.

So sad I witnessed the golden age and then downfall of this beautiful community🥹

15 Likes

I especially love that they set the beta testers up as Founders. Because it’s not a Discord server without an embedded social hierarchy designed to remind everyone else how little you matter. :rofl:

No shade at said Founders. I’ve just noticed in many Discord servers over the years that cliques and whatnot tend to form over time, inevitably leading to tension between people on the servers. So I find it a bit nutty that Episode chose to set up a group as essentially “special” from the get go, practically guaranteeing that will happen in the future.

9 Likes

Like the “Episode Community Member” or something similar in this forum (I’m jealous ok :triumph:)

1 Like

Yeah I genuinely have no idea how the beta group was decided but literally everyone there is just another user and no better than anyone else. I do believe however the 4 of us were somehow included bc of the community contest, but not necessarily for a good reason. The timing on their contest tells me that they definitely saw our contest and wanted to respond to it somehow. I’m not sure ab everyone else tho.

9 Likes

I also kind of feel like all the years we’ve spent trying to “build a reputation/name for ourselves” will basically vanish :confused:

I could recognise so many valid authors and coders (like @/JemU776!) and I knew I could trust them for advice

9 Likes

Maybe it’s just me feeling cynical because of the amount of companies I’ve seen make blatantly stupid/anti-consumer decisions — but I fully believe that profitable companies really can be that incompetent and tone deaf when it comes to dealing with their own consumer base. Or too blinded by the long term ideals of a company to understand the short term impact.

Like, I can understand the distraction tactic but I think the actual deadline came from Episode’s indifference towards the community — not because they suddenly care about “backlash”. If they genuinely cared about what users on the forums thought they’d have made a gradual switch or simply paid to have the forum archived. I do agree that the end plan of shutting down the forums and switching to Discord was in the works, I just think they forgot the middle part.

10 Likes

It’s not you being cynical, they are making a really stupid decision for their own personal gain

7 Likes

Can it even be ‘for their personal gain’ if it is a really stupid decision?

1 Like

Well, it’s only a stupid decision to us because we’re the ones that have to deal with the repercussions, to them this is the best decision they’ve ever made😕

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure this decision, like many before it, is objectively stupid. It doesn’t take a genius to see how much harm will be done by the loss of all the institutional knowledge here on the forums. To say nothing of how terrible of an idea it is to make Discord, of all platforms, the go to place for the young people they’re trying to attract to communicate with each other, and who knows who else.

All of Episode’s stupidest decisions were based on greed and trying to maximize profits in the immediate. They’re sacrificing future stability to satisfy their Business Daddies’ desire to see good return on their investment. Episode isn’t the first creative business to be ruined by Wall Street Jackholes, and it won’t be the last.

10 Likes

If I had to guess, I’d say they looked for people who were really active on forums, had a decent social media following (because that’s just how success is judged these day it seems), and, importantly, weren’t too critical of Episode to begin with. I think they were looking for potential allies who could influence their peers to see how great of a change this is. As stupid as they are, they understand the danger of angering the author part of the community too much. They need us unpaid interns to create free content for them to keep Episode going.

Many people point to how the animation update was reversed as proof we can make them listen. But the reality is, it wasn’t until authors big and small said they would stop writing all together and remove their stories that Episode did anything. They fear us no longer allowing ourselves to be exploited because then their entire business model falls apart. Of course, the irony is that by destroying the forums they’re angering established authors, while at the same time making it much harder for new authors to learn and produce, leading to fewer stories, leading to less free content for them to exploit, leading to an inevitable drop in profits. Good job, Pocket Gems!

8 Likes

If anyone has any contact info for one of the more “established” authors and could get them to speak up/sign the petition/promote the petition, then I think that could be a key component in our victory.

3 Likes

Even then, will Episode listen? I mean it’s pretty obvious that the lack of response means that they’re doubling -no- quadrupling down on this decision; at this point, why even keep trying with them?

Because at least we will go down knowing that we did everything we could do.

3 Likes