Using real places?

What is the policy on using real places in a story? I only ask because I have a royal story set largely at Buckingham Palace and up until now I have been using official Episode royal/regency backgrounds, but I am toying with using real photos instead. Everything about the world the story is set in is the same, except that the royal family is entirely fictional. The only royal things I reference are residences and extinct titles. What should I do?

3 Likes

If Episode approves the backgrounds, then I don’t think there’s a problem!
I also think that some little references aren’t a big problem, as long as the rest is al fictional.
Good luck with your story :two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you for your opinion, the story in question is actually the first story I ever released, but a few months ago I started renovating it to try and make it a bit better. I’m currently working on renovating chapter 6 but doing it has got me wondering about using real photos. I think I might end up using a mixture of episode official and real backgrounds, if the ones I like are approved I mean.

2 Likes

I think that’s a good idea :blush:

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure about using a place as specfic as Buckingham Palace. References are usually fin and big cities etc I know are fine but would be best to ask @Tyler if this is ok

When it’s a private institution like a Starbucks or Harvard University, that’s when it’s not allowed. However, Buckingham Palace is more like a public tourist attraction so it is fine to use in a story. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Oh thank you, like I said earlier, I think I might use a mixture of episode official and real backgrounds so that I can make the world within my story my own.

2 Likes

@MissSarahG1 I’m glad that @Tyler was able to clear that up :yay:. Would it be ok to close the thread? :grin:

1 Like

Gasps in British …A tourist attraction you say? That’s our monarch’s residence! :anguished:

2 Likes

I agree, but it is one of the most visited tourist attractions too and its not her only residence. There’s; Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral also.

Yeah sure xx

1 Like

Thanks a bunch @MissSarahG1