Using the "&" Symbol in Script

Hi, I’m a new writer. Could anyone explain the differences between using & and @? I’ve been using @, but someone suggested using & and I don’t exactly understand the difference. I’ve tried out & but all it does is stop the following animation. Why would & need to be used? Let’s say for example I was doing this:

&CHARACTER1 stands screen left AND CHARACTER1 is animation
@CHARACTER2 stands screen right AND CHARACTER2 is animation

What are the differences?

" ampersand &
& is used in place of @ when you want a command to happen simultaneously while other commands are happening
This means that the & command will happen at the same time as other commands."

@ is used to make a command happen.
When using @, the next command will not start until the current command has finished playing through.

@GIRL enters from left to screen center
@BOY enters from left to screen right

In the above sequence, the BOY character will not enter the scene until the GIRL character has finished entering.

ampersand &
& is used in place of @ when you want a command to happen simultaneously while other commands are happening
This means that the & command will happen at the same time as other commands.

&GIRL enters from left to screen center
@BOY enters from left to screen right

In the above sequence, BOY and GIRL will enter the scene at the same time.

There’s the explanation from that link ^ they just posted.

The ‘&’ can also be used to make something happen at the same time as something else.
For example:

CHARACTER1 (talk_neutral)
This is example text.
&CHARACTER2 is laugh_giggle 

So, in this text example, Character1 would speak, and while they did so, Character2 would laugh.
This can also be used with zooms.
If you used an ‘@’ in place of the ‘&’, Character2 would laugh after Character1 had finished speaking.
If you were to do this with a zoom, the zoom would take place during whatever else is happening in your speech.

~ Ella

Hello, just to let you know, the character2 wouldn’t be laughing while the character speaks, they would be doing it “after” the character speaks. To have them laugh at the same time of the character speaking, you’d place that code before the dialogue, like:

&CHARACTER2 is laugh_giggle

CHARACTER1 (talk_neutral)

This is example text.

:slightly_smiling_face:

thank you for correcting me! :)))

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.