Vegetarian help/advice

Kia Ora, just before I watched a heart breaking video of what really goes through food with diary and meat. * You’ve probably seen it, it’s been going around instagram stories. *
Before this I have been wanting to go vegetarian but now I really want to.But the only hard thing is that my whole family are not vegetarian. Everything they cook and basically everything we own has some source of animal that it’s linked to. I would really love some advice from fellow vegetarians to help me through this. I would love documentaries, websites, instagrams ect.

thank you.

4 Likes

I’m not vegetarian, but I wish you good luck in your journey!

2 Likes

Summoning the amazing vegetarian @Annieways ,spread your wisdom :wink: :broccoli:

3 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

also! Perhaps this thread can help: Vegetarian Advice?

4 Likes

Haha, I don’t really have any wisdom to spread, I have been a vegetarian since I was a little kid and I was lucky that my mum accepted this and she basically cooked twice because of me all the time. So @MayPenny, as you can guess I’m the only vegetarian in my family too, but I really think this can work if you discuss it with your parents and maybe offer some recipes that can be prepared in different ways, with and without meat. Unfortunately I can’t really share any websites for this, because to be honest I’m lazy to cook and I hate it too :sweat_smile: But there are really many different options for us nowadays, and if you are interested in cooking, I’m sure you can find some inspiration on the internet.

I never tried to convince anyone to go vegetarian, but I’m always happy if someone decides to give it a try, and I can only encourage you because I’m the only person in my family who never gets sick and I think I know the main reason behind this :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I live in Greece and am a vegetarian sadly my family is not. :persevere: So I still have to fish and what not makeing it very hard but I would say please dont give up, and make your meals the day before.
Often I find spinach is a really good one to start off with because you can add the delicious brown croutons and it gives you flavor another tip eat beans as another source of protein because if your a vegetarian you’ll need to have protein when transitioning I’d recommend with a little meet every so do and then decrease as you feel more comfortable. Btw read a lot I dont know why but a good book to read or even TV is a good way to start your transition cause it keeps your mind off things.

2 Likes

just go for it, idk how to explain it. I’ve been one since birth and so has the rest of my family but oki. try one meal out and see where it leads you.

1 Like

I’ve been vegetarian for about 5 years now, honestly it’s kind of hard to do when you’re not the one in charge of your food.

I recommend maybe investing in a rice cooker? They’re super easy to use, rice is cheap and really versatile. I eat it with almost every meal lol. You could also have a talk with your parents and ask if they don’t mind taking your diet into consideration. Small stuff like, asking them to cook grilled veggies on a different pan than meat, or ask to have sides be vegetarian (mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuits, etc, are all veg-friendly and usually go well with meat dishes too, so it’s not that big of a request.)

If they’re unable to accommodate, maybe just focus on doing what you can. If you don’t have access to vegetarian food all the time, don’t beat yourself up about it, and definitely make sure you’re eating enough!

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! Thanks so much for your advice I’ve been vegetarian for about 2 1/2 weeks now! I’ve been cooking my own meals and I feel great x

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.