Walking on screen

Hi guys, I’ve managed to get my characters from sitting to standing, but how to I get them to walk to a specific place? (not off screen/exit, just move from one place to another)

@HEATHER spot 0.884 -143 391 AND HEATHER is idle_lay_groggy_neutral_loop
@HUNTER is idle_sit_sad_loop AND ROSIE is idle_sit_sad_loop
@HUNTER is transition_sit_to_stand AND ROSIE is transition_sit_to_stand

^^ That’s what I’ve got atm, but what command do I put next to get them to walk to a different point on the screen?

Can you make this work for my script please? I get confused with the tutorial guides . The room they are in is INT. HOSPITAL BED - NIGHT. I want the 2 characters mentioned to walk to the right hand side of the screen (but still be able to see a character who’s in the bed.

Sorry, but I can’t help you as I’m not on my laptop. I encourage you to try it! :blush:

If you want them to go to a different position, use:

@CHARACTER walks to spot [ s ] [ x ] [ y ] in [ s ]

And if you want them to do it while running/ walking, add in:

AND CHARACTER does it while [ animation ]

Thanks for the help, I still don’t understand the x, y etc so it’s not actually helping me atm :stuck_out_tongue:
If I give you the snippet of script I need help with, could you write it in for me please, I truly am struggling with this. I try the forums and videos but I just can’t get my head around the direction stuff :confused: I would be very grateful for help with this, and you will of course get a mention for any help given :slight_smile:

INT. HOSPITAL BED - NIGHT
@transition fade in white 2
@HUNTER changes into HUNTER_default
@ROSIE changes into ROSIE_default
@HEATHER changes into HEATHER_default
@cut to zone 3
@HUNTER spot 1.145 180 3 AND HUNTER faces left AND ROSIE spot 1.181 67 -28
HEATHER (idle_lay_exhausted_loop)
I’m sure there’s lots of questions you’ve got rattling around in that head of yours.

It;s then that I want Rosie and Hunter to walk to right of screen near the drip but not that they are obscuring Heather in the bed

I think it’s better if you try this yourself, you learn that way + you don’t need to rely on others to help you :slight_smile: I’m self-taught so I know that this way is effective :joy:.

Try using the spotting tool to move the characters around, there should be a spot below your previewer as you move your character around, so for example:

@DAMIEN spot 1.200 278 19

You just have to substitute those values into:
@DAMIEN walks to spot [ s ] [ x ] [ y ] in [ s ]

In my example, the second value (278) is x, and the third value (19) is y. The first value (1.200) is the first s. The second s in the command above is how many seconds you’d like them to take to walk over there.

It’s not working :confused:

Mind sending me a screenshot of your script? Also include the error

INT. HOSPITAL BED - NIGHT
@transition fade in white 2
@HUNTER changes into HUNTER_default
@ROSIE changes into ROSIE_default
@HEATHER changes into HEATHER_default
@cut to zone 3
@HUNTER spot 1.145 180 3 AND HUNTER faces left AND ROSIE spot 1.181 67 -28
HEATHER (idle_lay_exhausted_loop)
I’m sure there’s lots of questions you’ve got rattling around in that head of yours.
@Hunter walks to spot 1.046 280 94 in 2 AND HUNTER is walk_sad_loop AND ROSIE walks to spot 1.064 222 61 in 2 AN ROSIE is walk_sad_loop <<THIS IS THE ERROR LINE
@HUNTER faces left AND ROSIE faces left

@Hunter needs to be all caps, and the and in “AND ROSIE is walk_sad_loop” is spelt incorrectly.

OMG can’t believe I didn’t spot that :joy:
Thanks, while you’re here, any chance you know how fancy camera shoots work?
I’m watching a vid about following characters on a screen, but how do you do the fancy stuff like switch camera views etc like in Dirty Little Secrets and Meet Me at Sunshine episode stories.

If you’d like to switch camera views, you use

@zoom on [ m ] [ x ] [ y ] in [ s ]

Again, there’s a tool for it.

And if you want a camera to follow a character:
@follow CHARACTER to [position] in zone #

Although the follow command doesn’t work with spots. You’d have to pan and make your character walk at the same time:

&pan to zone # in [ s ]
@CHARACTER walks to spot [ % ] [ x ] [ y ] in zone # in [ s ] and CHARACTER does it while animation

1 Like

What I mean by positions are screen center, left etc…