Want to help a fella out with a report? Do some polls for me!

Hey, yall! :wave:t2: Long time, no see! I’m finally making my way back to the Episode community after a long break. This is less a game and more me asking for help, but I wasn’t sure what other category to put this into. :woman_shrugging:t2: I’m doing a report on demographics for video game users, and I was going to see if I could get my own demographics for a game that I like rather than using some that already exist for a game I don’t. So, if you’re willing to help me out, all you have to do is respond to some polls for me! I’d really appreciate it :blush:

Here are the questions so you can look them over before you vote:
Are you a reader, writer, or both?
What is your age range?
What is your gender?
Who are you attracted to?
Where are you from?
What genres do you like to read?
What genres do you want to see more of on Episode?
How often do you use the app?
Open ended question: If there is one thing you would choose to change that would improve your experience with Episode, what would it be?
(feel free to skip any you don’t want to answer)

Alright, :sparkles:onto the polls!:sparkles:

Question 1: Are you a reader, writer, or both?

• Reader
  • Writer
0 voters

Question 2: What is your age range?

• 13-15
  • 16-18
  • 19-23
  • 24-30
  • 31-36
  • 37-41
  • 42+
0 voters

Question 3: What is your gender?

• Cis female
  • Trans female
  • Cis male
  • Trans male
  • Non-binary
  • Other
0 voters

Question 4: Who are you attracted to?

• Males
  • Males and non-binary people
  • Females
  • Females and non-binary people
  • Males, females, and non-binary people
  • I’m not attracted to anyone
0 voters

Question 5: Where are you from?

• North America
  • South America
  • Europe
  • UK
  • Asia
  • Africa
  • Australia
  • Antarctica
0 voters

Question 6: What genres do you like to read?

• Comedy
  • Romance
  • Thriller
  • Horror
  • Fantasy
  • LGBTQ+
  • Action
  • Drama
  • Mystery
  • Sci-Fi
0 voters

Question 7: What genres do you want to see more of on Episode?

• Comedy
  • Romance
  • Thriller
  • Horror
  • Fantasy
  • LGBTQ+
  • Action
  • Drama
  • Mystery
  • Sci-Fi
0 voters

Question 8: What languages would you like to see more of on Episode?

• Spanish
  • French
  • Mandarin
  • German
  • Arabic
  • Hindi
  • Russian
  • Dutch
  • Other
0 voters

Question 9: How often do you use the app?

• Multiple times a day
  • Once a day
  • Multiple times a week
  • Once a week
0 voters

Open ended question: If there is one thing you would choose to change that would improve your experience with Episode, what would it be? (votes will be calculated based on which comment has the most hearts)

Thanks SO much for your help! :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

I think the biggest problem right now is how hard it is to find good stories that come from the community. It’s no secret that the Episode team likes pushing official stories, and while they do help the app be found by new people, it’s not what keeps us here. The community is the thing that breathes life into Episode. Without authors, there wouldn’t be variety and without readers, there wouldn’t be an audience. Everyone is essential to the success of Episode.

By transforming how we can find stories, I believe Episode could improve many aspects of the community. Us readers wouldn’t have to rely on social media to find new stories and authors wouldn’t feel as much pressure to promote their stories outside of the app.

Tags would be the biggest thing to change. Sites like Wattpad and AO3 use a tag system to make searching easier. Type out or tick a checkbox for a trope, and you’ll be shown all the stories that include this trope. If we want to exclude stories with a different trope, we could do the same with an exclusion search/checkbox. As useful as genres are, there’s so many stories out there that share genres, so it makes it hard to find new stories with the current system.

I’d also push more for community stories on the home page. Many official stories are (unfortunately) very similar, so once you’ve read a few, you’ve practically read them all. A few sections on the home page dedicated to community stories would make a world of difference.

I hope my response helps you! : )

(Edited for typos and clarity.)

9 Likes

I totally agree with you! A tagging system would be an excellent addition to Episode! I also think something that could help would be giving authors the option to choose 1 main genre and maybe 1-3 sub-genres for their story.

3 Likes

Maybe set more requirements/guides for posting stories and overall less pressure on authors.

I think just a bit of guide rails (?) for publishing would help with the quality of stories released and the app overall. I think it’d be difficult to implement but doing an estimated time per episode feature, kinda like how Wattpad does, would maybe stop someone posting before it’s ready — or encourage them to consider what they’ve written more. Or having a page listing out common grammer mistakes / basics of English punctuation that were easily accessible. Or automatically centering speech bubbles unless the author specifics a location / a tool to consistently scale a character’s height relative to another character. Kinda like how the mobile creator was a simplified accessable version of the web portal, have simplified accessable versions of more complex coding.

There’s definitely a specific type of story that does well on Episode, that is practically guaranteed to do well on Episode. And I while I wouldn’t say that popular tropes/cliches are inherently bad, the choice for an author to implement them seems to be because they feel it’s necessary to get a large amount of reads or because it is an easy way to get reads. Like, if you want to include something because you think it fits the story you want to tell — do it. But a lot of times it’s obvious that it was put in because it does well on Episode or just because the author has seen that type of plot dominating the trending section and it’s honestly the only way they can think of to progress the plot/character development. Especially given the introduction of gems effecting the ranking system, I think it’s a lot harder for a reader to want to or even have the opportunity to take a chance on new genres or themes.

I started reading on episode five or a little over five years ago — it is VERY clear what the predominant genre was and what Episode considers their target market. I absolutely love the romance genre and downloaded it specifically because I wanted to read romance stories. It’s just frustrating how creative choices are somewhat seen as a big risk or aren’t seen at all in the top 100 stories. As someone that spends a lot of time engaging with traditionally and self published books and analyzing a lot of my own writing, it’s hard to find something that doesn’t take a predictable turn or actually excites me. Reading a highschool story about werewolves and vampires can be fun but when it comes to the point of being able to guess whole plotlines… It can kind of feel like your younger relative got to pick the channel and now you’re watching something like Paw Patrol/Teen Titans Go when you wanted to watch Adventure Time or the original Teen Titans. Or if they pick to read something like Diary of a Wimpy Kid when you wanted to read Harry Potter.

4 Likes

To be honest, I’m trying to come back to episode. I would like it if we could add in a grammar check program for the dialogue boxes in the writer portal. I think that would be very helpful. I have to be careful with grammarly since it can change the format. This is why I work on dialogue on Google document instead. That’s really my only point that stands out to me right this minute.

3 Likes

that would be such a convinient feature that should be easy to impliment

1 Like

I would say that you should make the menu more organised with the different sections e.g. having the favourites immediately accesable or currently reading. Secondly, this would mean both community and official storys could have more representation instead of having to go through the effort to find them. Finally, I think the search bar should have exact search matches at the top and then put generalised at the bottom so people can find the stories they want without having to know the title. This would also help community authors get discovered incase readers don’t have any other method of finding out about their stories

3 Likes

Yep, I’m debating of making a feature thread for it.

1 Like

We’ve needed this for years now. I wish they revamp the whole searching section in the future.

1 Like

I wish they would make their follower pages actually matter. Like what’s the point of following somebody when you can’t even talk to them and or see updates ect… Also being able to join multiple book clubs would be awesome.

3 Likes

Perhaps replace Australia with Oceania? As it includes Australia and the thousands of other islands in the area.

2 Likes

Aaaaaa shoot! I’m unfortunately getting a message that says I can’t edit a poll past 5 minutes after it has been posted :cry: