Want to Learn How to Code

I’m creating a story with a director and its going great, maybe a little slow do to technological complications. I would really like to learn to code for myself. I’ve watched a few YouTube tutorials but when it comes to putting it to use, I fail hard. Would any body be willing to teach me or give examples of coding templates to use and learn from?

Some of the things I’m interested in learning how to do is allowing the reader to edit more than one character in the very beginning on the story. I also want to make it possible for readers to change their hair and make up important scenes. I hardly know how to transition out of a scene. I have difficulty with knowing how to make certain changes stop being changed at a specific point. I’m just all over, eager to learn and grow.

Thank you for your time! :smile:

1 Like

Hi there! I highly reccommend that you watch Joseph Evan’s videos. They are very detailed and he explains everything very well. As for character customization, all it takes is a little practice and you’ll soon become a pro. It takes some hard work at first, but I promise that it’ll become much easier over time.
For basic coding, you should watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ4jy2UFWHk
For character customization, try watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p80wJ1yd2Ew
And I know that they are extremely boring and sometimes difficult to understand, but read the guides. They are there to help you. @Dara.Amarie has some amazing templates that you can use to get you started (just make sure to give credit!). And of course you can message me and I would be more than happy to help you if you! :smile:

2 Likes

For some reason when I try to do what he does (cause I have already watched a few) I’m missing something in when I actually type it out. I couldn’t get the character customization to work and it did but I wanted to make it so I could have the reader customize multiple people in the very beginning, I tried to copy and paste it underneath then use a different characters name but what happened is that the first art worked the she just transformed into the appearance of the second character.

Do you mind sending your code so I can look at it?

On the left hand side of the writers portal (when you are in the writing part of your script), you will see a drop down labeled “Script templates”.

Pick on of those and click on it. You will get this big pop up and inside of it there is another drop down. Select the character you want you reader to customize.

It will put the customization template into your script where your curser was and VIOALA!!!

You don’t need to add anything else but that! It’s so easy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.