Weird question I know-

Is it ok if a story has underaged drinking, my characters are 18-20 and is kind of has a plot in the story that has it. But I don’t want to publish the story if it’s not allowed… can someone tell me if it’s ok? It probably isn’t but I really want to be cautious when writing about things

5 Likes

I think it’s okay , AS LONG AS there is a warning that such a thing is happening/ going to happen. And that you go against it/ NOT ENCOURAGE IT.

2 Likes

Ok thank you!

You’re welcome! Happy I could help! Good to know that you are careful of what it is that you put in your story!
Ps: What’s it called?

1 Like

The story is gonna be called Just The Beginning :grin: it’s not published yet though

Okay! Let me know when it is! We could do a Read4Read when it is!

1 Like

Ok! :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

As long as you’re not promoting it and saying it’s legal or safe, then it’s fine.
Including a warning or readerMessage helps.

1 Like

It’s against the guidelines to depict underage drug & alcohol use

2 Likes

What country is your story set? I’m Canadian and our drinking age is 18-19 across the provinces. Therefore, not underage. If it’s America, like I’m assuming, is there something plot related that prevents you from making your characters 21? Is their age or the fact that they are underage drinking explicitly mentioned?

Just don’t encourage or promote it and you’ll be fine, I feel.

1 Like

It’s in America, and it’s their age. I am trying to be as cautious as I can in my story, I should’ve thought it through before because now if I remove it I have to come up with another plot. I am not encouraging it at all, I have wrote in the beginning of my story “I do not and will not encourage some characters actions, they are not real. Please do not do things that are mentioned in this story for your own well being”

Depends what country ur setting it in like in UK our drinking age is 16 but we can’t buy till we are 18

Your characters are fine since the guidelines state 16+ but you just need to be wary of how you portray it. It can’t be promotional or ongoing.