Weirdest/Most Random Writing Tips?

As someone that’s been trying to get into writing for a while, I want to hear your weirdest tips and tricks for writing a story! It can be as weird as changing clothes to get into character.

(I hope this is categorized correctly.)

6 Likes

I like to make family trees for all my characters :heart_hands:

I also recommend to make a scene longer to have a @pause for 80000 or more then add what you want. it will pause the scene so you can add bits in! Just remember to delete it.

7 Likes

After using the ride horse animation add @character changes into outfit again otherwise they’ll miss their pants on one leg.

9 Likes

Yes I do the pause thing all the time! Once I forgot it was there and was going crszy trying to figure out why the scene wouldn’t continue

If you’ve been coding for hours on end and there’s an error you can’t find, it’s likely the simplest thing and your eyes won’t be able to identify it if you don’t take a break and come back. Or just ask us for help

5 Likes

Bumping this post! : )

2 Likes

Some Tips:

Write Backwards:

• Start with the ending and work your way back to the beginning. Knowing the conclusion can help shape the plot and character development.

Dialogue Only:

• Write a chapter or scene using only dialogue.

Playlist:

• Create a playlist of songs that match the mood or theme of your story.

Time Yourself:

• Set a timer for a particular time e.g 10 minutes and write as much as you can within that time without stopping. This can help overcome perfectionism and help with creativity.
10 Likes

Sure, here are a few weird and random writing tips that might spark some creativity or help you approach your writing from a different angle:

1. Write upside down: Literally turn your paper or screen upside down and try writing that way. This can disrupt your usual thought patterns and help you see your writing from a fresh perspective.
  2. Use unconventional prompts: Instead of traditional writing prompts, try using something unexpected like a fortune cookie message, a line from a children’s book, or even a random word generator. This can lead to unique ideas and story directions.
  3. Write in a different environment: Change your writing environment drastically. If you usually write indoors, try writing outside in a park or café. The change of scenery can stimulate creativity.
  4. Write with a timer: Set a timer for a short burst of intense writing, like 10 or 15 minutes. Challenge yourself to write without stopping or editing. This can help overcome writer’s block and tap into your subconscious.
  5. Create characters from random objects: Pick a random object around you or from a list (like a stapler, a sock, a spoon) and imagine it as a character in your story. Write a scene where this object comes to life.
  6. Write the opposite: Take a scene or a story idea and intentionally write it in the opposite way you originally planned. This can lead to surprising twists or new insights into your characters and plot.
  7. Write by hand with your non-dominant hand: This is challenging and messy, but it can engage different parts of your brain and encourage more thoughtful, deliberate writing.

Remember, the goal of these weird tips is to break out of your routine and explore new ways to approach your writing process.

3 Likes

I shut myself in a room for an hour, closed my outline, put on my playlist, and just wrote.

It worked.

2 Likes

Bumping once more! : )

Write in two different notebooks (I use two different notebooks when writing stories, that way I can keep my thoughts organized and not clog one story with too many ideas.) Use one notebook as the “story idea notebook” and the other as the “planning notebook.” Write ideas for possible stories in the idea notebook, When you are writing one of your stories use the planning notebook. If you get a new story idea in the middle of writing, you can switch back to your idea notebook and put it in there.

Not all ideas fit the story you’re currently writing.
I have about 12 story ideas that I’m probably going to write that are unique and different in their own ways.

Plan out key moments You don’t have to know every little detail about your story when you begin writing, If you know certain key moments and turning points /twists think about each moment separately and think what leads up to it and what comes after it. You don’t have to know what connects every piece of your story together but it can make it easier if you know what leads up to that twist /moment happening. (“What must happen in order for this to happen?”)

Simple descriptions Your description is limited greatly on episode, it’s mainly used as an attention grabber. If you don’t want to give anything away, think of your description as 3 references to your story: World/Conflict, MC’s Goals, Main Turning Point

- World/ Conflict (Sci-fi Dystopian, Fantasy Dictator, Romantic Rival, Adventure Survival ect…)
- Goals (Peace, Revenge, Acceptance, Redemption ect…)
- Main Turning Point (New Problem, Man vs Self, Villain Wins, Love/Betrayal ect…)

(I’ll use my story description for example)
Unknown to a world on the brink of destruction, she wants nothing more than revenge. When fear quickly turns into rage there’s no turning back…

- Reference The World/ Conflict (world on the brink of destruction)
- Reference The MC’s Goals (wants revenge)
- Reference The Main Turning Point (fear turns to rage)

4 Likes

Bumping

1 Like