What are some tips for new authors?

Hi everyone, I’ve been active in Episode for a month and I would really like to know what tips or advice would you give to new authors. Any advice would suffice, from coding, writing a story, how to promote, how to keep motivated, how do you get inspiration, any advice to authors whose first language is not english, etc. I’m eager to read your answers. Greetings everyone!

5 Likes

honestly, just have fun doing it. as long as you’re having a good time with your story then it’ll turn out great because your readers will be able to tell that you’re putting in hard work and really are enjoying what you’re doing! :grin:

6 Likes

I agree have fun. Come on the forums ask for tips when you need with coding/directing or even when you need help with inspiration and motivation.
Promoting is simple.
The forums has a section that offers
• Read for reads.
• People who review your stories.
• People who are looking for hidden gems.
• Recommendations.
You can also make an instagram and promote your story on there.
Welcome to the forums btw.

3 Likes

Thanks Aaliyah! I’ve been trying the read for reads feature but I’ve found that most of the people who say they will give you a review only give reviews like: “Great job, I really like it” and other generic stuff like that. And don’t get me wrong! I really appreciate that but being new what I want is not the number of reads but real feedback on how can I get better. It gets me wondering if they’re really reading the story or if they’re only taping so they can send the screenshot and get their read. I’m not trying to sound pessimistic. I’ve found a couple who have really given constructive criticism and I’m really grateful but I guess I’ll just have to keep looking then :sweat_smile: Thanks for your insight btw!

2 Likes

Me and @Marshmallow_O the one who commented above does reviews.
I mean we’re quite busy. but if you have a story, I can give you feedback/review if you want me to.
& No problem!
I completely understand.

2 Likes

Thanks Marshmallow I guess some people put on first place the number of reads than the fun of writing. I hope people will apreciate the hard work that everyone is putting to their stories! :smile:

3 Likes

yep! if you ever need a review or feedback feel free to ask! :grin:

2 Likes

Wow really? That’s really nice from you! I’m completely new at writing though I’ve been in the episode app for years now. This is my first story that I just published (only 3 episodes so far). If you got any time I would appreciate your insights. Thanks! https://www.episodeinteractive.com/s/5099701430452224

2 Likes

I’ll add this to my reading list. I’ll mostly likely read this tomorrow and get back to you.

1 Like

I have a review thread going if you’d like some constructive feedback on your story :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I would highly suggest watching tutorials - Joseph Evans on youtube to help with coding. Any question you have, you can likely find an answer on the forums too!

1 Like

Oh yeah! I actually have seem all the tutorials of Joseph Evans (at least the limelight ones) :sweat_smile: They’re really good! Would you share the link to your thread pleaaase?

It’s such a good place to start!
Heres the link :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have fun!!! :smile::smile::smile::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t fit into any Creator’s Corner category. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

Be original and unique–Come up with you own ideas and try something different apart from what you see regularly/all the time in stories.

1 Like

There’s one thing I’ll say. Use your own judgement. Don’t let anyone guilt trip you or force you to do something. Write what you want to write keeping the guidelines in mind. Follow your logic/ brain. Ask for help/ Learn from your mistakes. Don’t engage in petty drama. Try not to do something you’ll regret. Try to improve your directing and attempt new things. Lastly, enjoy the experience!:raised_hands:

2 Likes

This is actually a pretty good advice! Being in the community I’ve noticed that some new authors (such as myself) want to do things as the more expierenced authors. And there’s nothing wrong but sometimes we leave aside what we intended to do with our story in the first place. But hey, we gotta start with something uh? :woman_shrugging:t2::sweat_smile: