What are things you want to see in a fantasy/ romance story?

I think sometimes people write themselves into a proverbial corner too. Same with things like sci-fi. They’ve written a story with high stakes, but they don’t know how to tie the ends so that it feels complete and satisfying… or it’s been so long since they’ve updated that they’ve since lost motivation for the story altogether.

Modern day settings tend to allow more wiggle room to work with imo.

5 Likes

More magical creatures eg. mind readers witches etc
god I sound like a baby ik

I feel like it is poor planning. Either they didn’t plan the ending at all or they didn’t plan for how they could do the ending they wanted to do considering Episode’s limits (like lack of assets or just how difficult it would be to direct). So I imagine that it creates a bit of a writer’s block for authors when they feel like it’s impossible to resolve the story. When I used to review stories, I always used to link fantasy authors to this article that Episode knitters wrote: Why Rules in a Fantasy Setting are Necessary because I felt like this was always the key… I could always sense authors were making their fantasy story/world/laws up on the spot… which then lead to more inconsistencies the more that they wrote. Eg: if MC could use magic to heal someone in episode 12, why couldn’t they use magic in episode 3 to heal a person who was injured the exact same way? So whenever I get that feeling in a fantasy story that the author is making things up as they go and lacking “rules”, I know there will never be an ending. They’ll either discontinue it or try to revamp it but ultimately discontinue it when they realize it’s too hard to revamp after they spot all the inconsistencies for themselves.

5 Likes

This is so sad but true… Almost all fantasy stories that I read have no ending :sob:

2 Likes