What are you tired of seeing in episode stories

I agree with most of the things on this list. I’d also say:

Pointless friends. Like, the friends are there to encourage and support MC and their dramatic life (usually LI drama) but don’t have any real personalities, and you never see the MC encouraging, supporting, or even listening to their friends. Honestly, a lot of MCs are terrible friends and don’t offer anything in their friendships, which makes me unable to relate to them. Unless the point is to show the MC is self-absorbed and set up a path of honest character development, why bother? Granted, this is also related to having the stereotypical & loud BIPOC friend who’s there for “woke points” but contributes nothing to the story but poor representation. Also forces a point that romantic (and sexual) relationships are inherently more valuable than other kinds of relationships, which is patently false.

Substituting genuine connection between characters with supposed “sexual chemistry.” I have no idea what this means (I’m ace) to people & it would be particularly hard to show on episode, so it tends to be characters stating that they feel a connection they’ve never felt before & we should take their word for it. But WHY? Some jerk yelling at you isn’t sexual chemistry, and more importantly why not just build a relationship where characters get to know each other and connect about real stuff (whether they’re friends or LIs or whatever else).

(Cw for discussion of sexual assault & rape culture in next 2 paragraphs)
I have some things to add about SA as a subplot. Aside from the general yick factor of the LI saving Mc from sexual assault (it’s also usually a LI who generally doesn’t respect women or boundaries), the aftermath is never addressed. The MC is like “wow that wasn’t fun” and that’s it. When in reality the aftermath is what makes the experience so difficult to heal from. Some authors seem to think “well they didn’t actually get assaulted, it was just an attempted SA” is an excuse for a) using this trope and b) refusing to acknowledge how difficult it is to deal with SA experiences.

The other thing is that it’s almost always some random Ugly™️ guy that the MC doesn’t know spiking her drink. Which isn’t impossible and it’s not like it never happens, but the vast majority of SA are perpetrated by someone the victim knows. The narrative in these instances is so disingenuous. I’m a survivor and would never tell others they can’t write about dealing with SA (or any power-based violence) but the focus should be on how it affects the person, their ability to related & interact with others, and their understanding of the world. And if you feel the need to show the details, it should be clear characters are condemning the behaviour as well as why it’s important to have it in the story, and obviously a trigger warning & preferably an option to skip should be used.

Other quick things; descriptions about “delicious curves” / “curves in all the right places” etc, the word “intoxicating” lol, and in general any narration that tells us how we should feel about a character rather than showing us through scenes & dialogue with that character.

10 Likes

This is my story:

2 Likes

I hate when the Episode Originals make you choose the bad choice because you don’t have enough gems to choose the fun or good choice.

6 Likes

Outfits that costs gems like huh??? It serves no purpose to the plot after that.

“Oh here’s a cute outfit to impress your crush!”

Uses gems

“Your outfit looks cute”

END

U just impress ur crush on that particular scene and that’s it. What a waste.

8 Likes

When you are forced into a relationship with someone who is abusive/ a criminal/ way older than the MC and you have no say in the relationship.

12 Likes

LI that are d*cks

3 Likes

Female MCs
:joy: :woman_shrugging:

I would love to read more male MC stories. They really are rare on Episode.

5 Likes

Characters lacking self respect by putting themselves into situations which could have potential serious consequences or get blown out of portion for no apparent or them being selfish or stupid just make themselves feel better about it and not caring how other people would feel about it.

6 Likes
  • MC’s who are kinda self centered and are extremely bratty. (Especially to their parents)

• Stereotypical parents who are useless and are just there to pay rent.

• Best friends who have absolutely nothing in common and are actually uncomfortable with each other, and the best friend pressures too much.

• Love Interests who are cocky, self centered, or objectify the MC as “mine” or “I had her first”, like, these guys are just douchebags.

• People wearing club like revealing clothes to school, like girls wearing sleeveless crop tops and guys wearing tank tops that barely cover their pits.

• Tacky characters. If you don’t know what I mean, I am talking about characters with miss-matched features that you don’t normally see everyday.

• Female Generic eyes, Feathered hair, and full heart pouty lips.

5 Likes
  • Characters who are too stubborn
  • Characters who tend to jump into conclusions too quickly
  • Characters who act like they’re hot sh*t or like brats in order to impress people
1 Like

MAFIAAAA OMG I CAN’T STRESS THIS ENOUGH I HATE MAFIA STORIES.

can episode just let me post things and have it not have to be a “complete sentence”? :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

l KNOW RIGHT

3 Likes

Bullying

2 Likes

Stories that end with no resolution…like Bad Girl Boss

7 Likes

I badly want to cry because it doesn’t have an ending, I was really, as in really excited for the beautiful ending gosh… Whyyyyy! I want to cryyyy huhuhu please, I need justice for the story hmmm

I think the worst case of this is either “My alien boyfriend” or “The royal baby”

1 Like

Right!!! They just dropped us on it.

2 Likes

haha am i the only one who like the mafia gang and the bad Boy ? :o

1 Like

hehe same, some are very cliche tho

1 Like

well they are popular tropes for a reason

1 Like