What are your insecurities as an author?

I enjoy writing stories, but I often compare them with trending/good quality stories and I feel like cr*p. I feel lazy but in reality, I’m a perfectionist, nothing is good enough for me. I thought maybe working with other people would help me with that but it made me feel worse for not being as fast as I want.

I also care a lot about other’s people opinions… I literally changed my character’s looks just because I saw some “mean” comments. Nobody forced me to do it, but I did it anyway. I felt terrible when someone said that she only read stories with good grammar, English is not my native language and I want to improve, but that made me feel like I should learn more before publishing something.

So basically, I feel like my stories are not good enough and I pay too much attention to what other say. I hope to read your opinions and maybe we can help each other. <33

16 Likes

If you ever need help with any proofreading, grammar, spellings etc I’m happy to help as I am English so it’s my first language! :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

Personally I think u shouldn’t care what others think, mainly because ur starting out. It really isn’t ur fault but I just wanna say please try and see your worth.
And also I’ll be happy to proofread ur story to🙂

3 Likes

I think I accidentally make things too quick paced!

4 Likes

Thanks! As I said, I try to learn more every day. I just need practice, I understand English 100% but it’s difficult to translate my stories (they are written in Spanish)

I always make the readers feel like the story is predictable and then add an unexpected plot twist. It sounds interesting, but the problem is that I’m afraid that people will leave the story for being “obvious”.

Mood :skull: :skull:

Readers can be so mean sometimes, but I wouldn’t get mad if they only laugh about certain scenes, the insults and harassment are the real problems here

Thank you!!! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

I’m working with English-speaking people but I will count on you for my next stories <3 Can I PM for your contact details?

That’s true :(( I follow some authors and they improved with time, it happens in all fields, hard-work and patience make you better. I wouldn’t judge someone so harshly if they are just starting, actually, I would love to see their improvement, but I’m mean with myself and that’s the problem

4 Likes

This is a great topic!!! And I would like to commend you on allowing yourself to be brave enough yet vulnerable enough to share this with the community. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Everything that you are sharing is normal. Especially if you are sensitive and creative. Sometimes the responses that people leave and comment are not the nicest. And it is really hard to ignore those comments. But… I think the first thing to do is decide why you are writing :writing_hand:t5: a story? Are you writing this story because you like writing? Or are you writing this story so that other people will like reading your story?

I believe if you write the story because you are enjoying what you are writing, you will be much more proud of what you have written.

There are people that are very critical of writers that do not have the greatest spelling and grammar. However… most people will be understanding if you preface your story by stating that English is not your native language, and you are trying your best to work on learning more English by practicing.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for sharing with us, and I am in support of you doing whatever you want to do when it comes to writing :writing_hand:t5:!!! I believe in you!!! :hugs:

4 Likes

Yeah of course!

3 Likes

Thanks! I tend to be reserved in real life, but I know I’m not the only one who feels insecure with her story, we can all support each other

Maybe this sounds childish but I like to create my fantasy world for myself as a way of coping with bad experiences. I suffered a lot, but let’s use high school as an example. I used to try to impress and befriend malicious girls, and they obviously took advantage of that. So creating a fictional character who also struggles with mean girls (not in a cliche way) helps me to bring “justice” to this situation and not let the bullies get away with this (it’s just an example but you get the idea).

So basically, I gave my bad experiences a “good side” and use them as inspiration. I write for myself but I want to share my stories because I know I’m not the only one who struggled with these problems.

Yes!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That’s the worst part! I’m bilingual but I stopped writing and practicing English, so I lost touch with the language :((

I really appreciate your kind words :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I will just publish my stories because I can even revamp them if I don’t like them in the future

2 Likes

Actually… this is not childish at all. I would call this a brilliant way of working through complicated emotions and traumatic scenarios to be honest. It’s a form of self therapy!!! Good for you!!! :clap:t5: :clap:t5: :clap:t5: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I understand this completely!!! being multi-lingual. I have lost a great deal of Russian and French due to not practicing. Don’t worry though… the more you practice… the quicker it all comes back to you!!!

Absolutely!!! You can do it!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::+1:t5:

2 Likes

The episode community is a large one, there will be people who will be like “I will not read a story with this…” and unless you are offending someone you have to say to h*ll with those people who don’t like my story because it is cliche or because I am not good with my English. I have seen those comments before and tried to make sure my story pleases them but at the end of the day there is someone who will read your story. And again as others have said you have to write for you not what others want. We all have our preferences but that doesn’t mean you have to please everyone’s. Also well done on trying your best to learn another language, I know that can’t be easy. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thanks! I know that many teenagers are on the app and I want to help them through my experience. I’m 20, but I know how much the things you consume affect you as a teenager (I already experienced that)

Yes! I’ve encountered many challenges and difficult classes in college, but I’ve been able to deal with them and succeed. So I know that these insecurities and language barrier are just an obstacle that I need to pass

I want to thank all the people who said positive things to me, I really needed some positive energy and support <333

3 Likes

You are very welcome. And you are quite right. I am certain you are helping many people already!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Constructive criticism is needed sometimes but you are right, I will not be able to please everyone. I will happy with just one person enjoying my story, I don’t want to pay attention to the rest

Yes! Sometimes I don’t like some stories but that doesn’t mean that the plot is boring, it’s just not my cup of tea. I respect the author regardless of my preferences, so maybe it will be the same way with me…

I like to think of stories as food. Even the most “disgusting” dish is liked by someone, and “delicious” food like pizza or sushi is not liked by everyone, but it’s just a matter of preference.

And there are trolls literally everywhere, they can mock you even if you are not famous or an author (I’ve already experienced that). So not paying attention to them is the best option.

Thanks! Reading and understanding the language is not difficult, but grammar and writing are challenging. But as I said before, I will just practice until I become 100% fluent.

1 Like

so first, don’t compare yourself to others! you are amazing and exceptional and the fact that you write your story at all is amazing. if someone bothers you or hate on u, f**k them and have it the way you want. It took those “bigger” authors at least like 3 years to be where they are, and trust me i really don’t have the best english also, but just look for some proofreader or use translator (it’s not the best ik), however just screw those people and don’t listen to them, i know that we are all different, because i really don’t care about others opinions and i just laugh at it, like not gonna waste my time with someone i don’t even know lmao. But ofc that you maybe take others opinions to heart which you should stop with, i mean honey you don’t even know them so don’t stress about them. I know that it hurts, but that’s the best thing what you can do. i love u bb and good luck with ur story <3

1 Like

That’s true!

Grammarly helps a lot! It could be useful to you

I envy you!! :pleading_face: :pleading_face:

true :((

thanks for your kind words <333

1 Like

Not being good enough compared to my own standard lol

1 Like