What are your opinions on writing the story with someone?

Hey there!

I wanted to ask you what do you think about having a writing partner? I’m not judging having one tho, because that’s a personal decision! I’m actually thinking about writing something with another person but I’m still not sure about that. That’s why I created that topic. :grin:

Anyway, do you prefer to write the story with someone or alone? You can also add an explanation! :blush:

2 Likes

I think it’s a great idea as long as it’s 50/50 the partnership.
I actually been thinking about finding someone to co-write with.

3 Likes

Thank you for your opinion. I agree with the 50/50 partnership. :thinking:
Maybe we can write something together later! If you’d like to of course! :grin:

2 Likes

I did try it once. the person I talked with never answaerd me or did anything. so the story was never published

2 Likes

That’s not good to hear :confused:

At least for me, the two times I’ve joined someone to write a story it hasn’t worked. I didn’t feel a connection (that sounds so weird lol), besides that there was a lack of communication, so the both times it didn’t work. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for telling me that!
And I’m sorry that I didn’t work out for you…

Maybe it was because I was young (three years ago, so young :woman_facepalming:t2:) and shy, so I didn’t bring ideas to improve the stories.

To the record: I’m still a coward, only less. I hope

1 Like

I think I would prefer writing alone, but I’m not completely sure because I’ve never produced work with someone before. One of my favorite stories was coauthored, so I have no judgements against people who have writing partners. It’s definitely interesting though!

This was my reply before I actually read your question

I’ve tried it a couple times and was unsuccessful. The first time, the other person and I just kept coming up with ideas but never actually wrote anything. The second time, the person decided that they didn’t like writing anymore and just stopped.

If I could try it again sometime, that would be nice. It may be difficult though; I have a weird schedule and perhaps not-so-common interests.

1 Like

I hope that when you try it again it’ll work out!
Thanks for your opinion tho, it was really helpful! :blush:

1 Like

It’s cool when you have the same time zones and when both people are experienced. I’ve tried it a for my old stories…and I think tf not the other author didn’t do anything I would be like yo can you like copy and paste the intro legit simple things and they never did it till like 4 weeks or sometimes even never

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! That’s sad that they basically didn’t help you as much as you wished they did :confused:

1 Like

Np and yeah lmao I’d you plan on working with someone check if they ever wrote stories before so you’ll be able to know if they’re willing to put in effort

1 Like

i personally would rather work alone bc every time ive worked with someone in the past (not on episode, ive never had a writing partner, but in general) theyve overpowered me in decisions and it never ends up being equal and when i try to level it out politely ill get called bossy or something. but if there were ever an idealistic sceneario where we could work out being 50/50 and be open to each others ideas then maybe id consider it. but as of now i like my stories to be completely my own and written by me.

3 Likes

Thanks for your advice! I’ll keep that in mind.

1 Like

That was a really useful comment! I hope that if I ever have a writing partner our work we’ll be equal. :confused::grin:

1 Like

I would never do this unless I was under contract and rules were clearly stated. You have to take a lot of risks to write with someone else.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply!

2 Likes

Hey I’ve had experience with writing partners and I can say some have worked out and some haven’t :joy:

Pro’s

•less stressful than when working alone cause you’ll have someone to do half the work
•helps a lot when you get writers block cause you can always have another creative mind
•You have someone who double checks your work and same goes for them
•Meet new people and make new friends :joy:

Con’s

•Creative differences (happens to everyone)
•Unequal amount of work
•Partner disappears/ you guys just slowly drift apart (this has happened to me before when me and a partner have just suddenly stopped working on a story and talking :woman_shrugging:)
•Impatient/demanding people (now this hasn’t happened to me but I had a friend who told me she had a writing partner and it was just very toxic because the other person would only want to do things their way and was not open to other suggestions)

My biggest tip for you if you’re looking for a writing partner is to get to get to know the person first. Usually I always start off having a short conversation with the person and seeing if we have similar interests. So ask questions like if they’re a fan of cliches or what genres they like to write and just overall knowing what they can do (so can they code, write, etc.).

ALSO MY LAST ONE IS TO BE OPEN AND FAIR WITH YOUR PARTNER. You may have creative differences but be open to other suggestions and if you guys can’t decide who’s idea to pick you can try doing a poll on the forums or something simple as flipping a coin.

But yea that’s all I have :innocent: hopefully this helps !

2 Likes

Oh my! That was really helpful! Thank you very very much :blush::two_hearts:

1 Like