What are your opinions on writing the story with someone?

I prefer writing alone because I have full control.

3 Likes

Personally I’ve never felt the need for a partner. Not sure if that’s because people annoy me or because I’m quite an independent individual. Don’t get me wrong it’s wonderful to get a second pair of eyes to review your story and give you feedback however splitting ideas and sharing personal opinions sounds incredibly infuriating - :relaxed:

1 Like

I’ve never been interested in working with someone in the past because I’ve always felt that I work best alone. Even back in my school/uni days, I hated group projects lol. However, I recently collaborated with someone for the MC contest and it worked out really well :smiley: . I think in our case, it helped that we were already friends before deciding to work together and we knew that we had similar abilities in terms of directing/coding. I think that took a lot of the stress off for both of us because we knew we could trust the other person and not have to go through and try and fix things lol. We were in completely different time zones but I actually felt that that worked better because we were able to work in the portal at different times. It was so nice being able to go in and see a whole bunch of work done that wasn’t there the day before :rofl:

We have a shared Google doc where we added all our ideas and we also spoke about it daily so we knew we were both on the same page before starting to write. I’ve actually never worked on a group project in my life that felt so collaborative. It really was 50/50 and I know I wouldn’t have been able to finish a story to that standard and it that time frame alone. So that’s one massive benefit of having a partner. Having someone to talk the plot through with is also helpful when you get stuck.

I think part of the reason why we worked so well together is because we actually knew each other first and we already knew the kind of stories that the other person writes and the skillset. If you go blindly into a partnership with someone then that’s similar to getting thrown into a group project with people you don’t know. You don’t know what to expect and quite often, you end up doing all the work or having to fix a lot of mistakes lol.

2 Likes

Oh wow! Thank you so much. I’m glad it worked out for you so well.

You’re welcome.
I also just wanted to add:

This is very true. I’d probably recommend creating a joint account for a collaboration so that at least the other person doesn’t have access to your account and other stories if something goes wrong. You do hear a lot of horror stories of things going wrong and the other person deleting content out of spite.
I actually did let my partner have access to my account but there aren’t many people I’d do that with. We wanted to publish from my account for a couple reasons but it’s not something I’d recommend otherwise.

1 Like

I’ve been writing stories by myself all my life pretty much haha :slight_smile: I don’t have a problem writing a story with another author. As long as well plan the story together well, then I don’t have a problem with them.

1 Like

I’m currently writing 2 stories in colab, with 2 different people. It’s an interesting process, kinda teaches you to compromise. But I advise to do it only with friends or people you know. Having this experience I would never start working with the random person.

1 Like

I am writing a few stories with a friend of mine and I think it’s really rewarding, it’s a way to push each other to get better and make the story better. We always have different ideas that the other one haven’t thought of yet which makes the story so much better. But I don’t think I could have done it if we didn’t connect, but since we do it’s awesome.
And we have so much fun while writing, and even tho I really enjoy writing myself I’ve never laughed this much while doing it by myself so that’s v nice.

2 Likes