What are your pet peeves while reading episode stories?

Bad grammar (like really bad), female LI turning to male or the other way around, zero choices, ruthless mafia kings, mothers who died giving birth in 21st century, mean girls and ofc bad boys :rofl:

1 Like

That one cliche when the main character is getting “harassed” by some random and the LI randomly comes out of nowhere and starts rescuing her…it gets old :rofl:

And when the main character falls in love too fast…

6 Likes

this is MC parents, except they dont look like you, I am readin a story right now, mom is blonde, dad got black hair and MC is a ginger. they dont even look related, genes dont work like that, you kinda look like both your parents and not neither.

pv1_back_CONDOM_4868428880084992_212d5d9cd71706fde39698fb4cc99e9e

or the, all the girls look like a mom all the sons look like dad, sorry but genes dont split into gender. I wish it did then I had moms hair instead of my fathers.

istockphoto-1227333290-2048x2048

2 Likes

I think I’ve commented on here before but I’m mentioning two pet peeves I just realized I’ve had recently.

Cheating LIs: No, it isn’t romantic for an LI to be in love with you, the MC, while he is literally in a relationship with someone else and then leaving his relationship for you. It’s not romantic and depending on how it’s written it’s lowkey creepy. Please. It’s not necessary. Let the LI just be single before they fall for you please.

Terrible Best Friends: Stop with the terrible best friend characters that treat the MC like sh*t and shaming them for being shy or nerdy or something. I read a story where the best friend often berated the MC for being shy and nerdy, stole her phone, and forced her into drinking and partying, just being used as a plot device to push MC into a romance with the LI. Like sure, use the best friend as a plot device, but there’s no need for her to be an asshole.

This might be a controversial pet peeve...

I find it cliche when the MC begins basically explaining their life in the beginning of the first episode and some authors do explain too much and give us all the information at once. Like, let us learn about the characters as the story progresses and don’t let us learn everything all at once.

I am guilty for having the MC in one of my stories narrate and introduce themselves though like, “hi my name is Nadia,” but I don’t explain everything at once and give the minimal need-to-know about her character (like how she witnessed a murder and had to move away under witness protection).

Basically, what I’m saying is to show not tell.

9 Likes

I agree with @baechulgi :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are something that annoys me.

• When you can tell that the writer haven’t planned out a story enough.

• It’s kind of risky writing sponatious, you know?
  • Stereotypical characters…

• Mean Girls = Blondies, White etc. or smart girl = asian
  • Races.

• When the writer doesn’t include enough races… Like wouldn’t the author become so BORED of blandness?
  • Bad Directing.

• I read a super cool story, but already in chapter 2 the basic directin was so BAD. The screen spots were hOOrible ugh. I tried to read it again, but the directing was bad bad-
      Atleast proof read - _ - OR get help with tutorials and the community here!
  • When the caracters feelings don’t match their animation.

• The typical love, you know?

• Mafias and the poor girl…/Popular fotball boy and smart nerd girl/TRIANGLE.
      When this girl (MC) can’t pick between the bad toxic boy :smiling_imp: or the innnocent
      unpopular boy :pleading_face:
  • Scenes

• It annoys me how short and quick the scenes are. Especially by userstories.
      It basically goes like this:
      Girl: HOW COULD YOU CHEAT ON ME?
      Boy: I’m so sorry, this will never happen again.
      Girl: I thought you were loyal! >:(
      Boy: I hope you forgive me):
      Girl: No, I will not!
      ** Girl leaves **
      What I’m trying to say is that most of the conversations are dry, too quick and there’s no volume (???). If you recognize that your directing is like this, please consider to practice on how to make the scenes longer, for readers sake and enjoyment.
5 Likes

Yess! I do not need to customize my LI’s sisters Boyfriend! That’s completely unecessary! And fake choices, totally annoy me, like what’s the point?

5 Likes

I read this one story where I had to customize myself, my siblings, my parents, the LI, the LI’s parents, and the LI’s best friend.

4 Likes

Lol. I started one where I customized me, my parents, my sister, my brother, my LI, LI’s parent’s and sister. Of course it was a CC only chapter so I didn’t continue

1 Like

agree with evrything

hate cheating, I would leave a cheater so fast I would break a speed record. I admit one of my love interest is in a relationship, but like this is a slow burn, story with five love interest, so yeah they are the becoming friends, and then if the reader wants it, MC can end up with her, and yes I do plan to throw love interest girlfriend out in a way there has nothing to do with cheating.

I kinda go for all the friends are love interest you can end up with, except the main best friend

this. I hate the bad friends trope, why stick around terrible people, I would cut them out so fast.
like okay my MC best friend she is a trouble maker, but she has my MC back no matter what. she is a friend you can count,

the explain life too, its info dump, and I hate it

4 Likes

I didnt do that for my new story, because it was for a contest, and its drivieing me crazy to do it now, because I cant actually go back and change what happended , which really suck because I killed of the entire family and I got no idea who did it :tired_face: :scream: :sob: :cold_sweat:

agree. I try to not re-use features on characters, that include skin color.

2 Likes

Oh dear.
I love CC but not when I have to CC basically everybody in the story

4 Likes

IKR! Like I literally don’t care about my LI’s siblings! I don’t even care about cc-ing mine.

1 Like

My character in my story has purple contact lenses because she likes the color purple. Is that fine?

Oh, and my pet peeve is when an author baits you with a completely different art style that what style the story really is in when you tart it. Two examples of this is that nasty basically incest story called The Heat Inside. The cover art style shows LL but when you first start the story it’s INK. Same with this one Episode featured story that shows INK characters on the cover, but the true art style is ugly Classic.

4 Likes

EW CLASSIC
DISGUSTANG
I have an unfinished story in classic, don’t tell anyone!

4 Likes
  • When the story doesn’t match the genre - I find that it is quite hard to find a comedy story so when I find one that I think is funny I’ll usually look for more stories by that author.

• High school romance stories when the MC is so fixated on the LI - Maybe have a side plot because she should definitely be focusing on other things.

• A thing that has made me click off a few times is not a strong female lead - It’s like reading a story from the 20’s, when the guy fights for her honor ( :expressionless:) whilst the female MC stands back fanning herself. Maybe she’ll eventually get involved and get punched. Also when the MC is walking in a dark alleyway at night by herself :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
    I mean maybe it’s just my unpopular self and I don’t know about the cool parties that take place in the dark alley. Let me know guys. :disappointed_relieved:

• When the confident (usually a person of colour- a token character) friend is only really there to drag the MC to parties and shopping - The amount the ‘shy new girl’ is taken to a party on the first day you would think it happens so often that every one at that party would be a ‘shy new girl’

• When sensitive topics are used as a tool for romance instead of focusing on the topic- or to make readers ship two people together. e.g The MC and LI both have a mental illness- they soooo should be together. No. Research the topic, this can be harmful to readers and plain rude.

• POC characters with white features. Not every black woman has naturally straight hair or wears a weave. The majority of black characters I have seen in episode also have blue eyes.

• No diversity is a major click off for me as is harmfully uneducated topics and rude dialogue

• I don’t like stories that portray a lot of violence

• Stereotypical diversity- :sneezing_face:

• Characters that all look like each other (have the same features) and seem to have the same personalities and wear the same outfits.

• Unrealistically portrayed anxiety or low self-esteem - I would rather the MC work through it and watch her progress throughout the story then she gets a makeover and now she’s the bad girl

• And why oh why must there be a mean girl - and why is she always blond!

7 Likes

Now thtd make for a comedic story

1 Like

:joy: The bad boys could be brooding in the corner.

2 Likes

I read this one short romance story that I really liked, and like a month after I finished it, the author moved the story genre from romance to comedy, and I’m like “why?” The story is not even funny, but it is a good story (to me, at least)

1 Like