What are your thoughts on The Points System?

Hi everyone!

So I just have to ask this question. What are your thoughts on The Points System? Reasoning to why I am asking because, I am doing a story with more than 1 love interest. Also because I want to tell you guys my thoughts on it too. When I read an episode story with Points System, it can get me irritated at times. Only because when you have to choose between 2 choices either its good or bad . Sometimes the author/writer could say things that are bad when you choose the good choice. Or bad obviously. If that makes sense. It’s not a bad thing. It’s just that the feeling you get when you make a love interest feel some type of way when it comes to choices. Even though he /she isn’t a REAL CHARACTERRR!!! LOL. :joy: I mean I don’t know if you guys get that feeling. But anyways what are your thoughts on the Points System? Would you guys say it’s easier to choose your own Love interest with the Points System? Or is there another way to code out to choose your love interest? :thinking: :thinking:

4 Likes

i love a point system when it doesnt effect the relationship, but when i dont have enough points and then have to call my bf in the story a twat its so annoying

6 Likes

I like the points system as a way to keep track of how you’re doing. From a coding standpoint, I enjoy it because it makes keeping track of choices easier instead of using gains.

3 Likes

Idk why, but I kinda find it confusing (coding wise); I feel like I would have to add it in my story in order to make it readable. I don’t really mind the “pointless” choices (dialogue, food, and such) in other stories, but it might be a problem to some if I have in my future story.

Though I do feel like adding it anyway since I want readers to make a choice between having the love interest as a boyfriend or remaining friends with them. Although I do wanna know: could you do that without a point system or not?

FROM READERS POV
I love reading stories with the points systems only when I get stuff correct and get a bunch of points
FROM AUTHORS POV
It freaking sucks to code. and I hate it because once its all together it looks amazing but I’m lazy and its hard for me to code correctly.

4 Likes

If you’ve played interactive stories like Minecraft: Story Mode, The Walking Dead by Telltale games, or Detroit: Become Human (to list a few), you can see that some of the actions actually influence the characters.
I’m gonna use Detroit: Become Human as an example (and spoilers ahead, I’ll be blurring it out):

One of the MC’s, an Android named Connor is supposed to pursue and hunt down deviants. Deviants are Androids that developed self consciousness.
And if Connor gains enough what’s named “software instability” points, he has another option unlocked in his arc: to be a deviant, or remain a machine.
Heads up: the machine arc is very heartbreaking…

You can use this point system as an opportunity to change the characters based on the choices they’ve made. Because points can be easily tallied, it makes this kind of branching very efficient.

Yes, it’s very easy to code, that’s for sure, and points system is quite easy to handle.
What makes matters complicated is when you have a complicated branching which, let’s say branch A offers 2 A points, whereas branch B offers 2 B points.

Personally, I label this as a “point overlap”, meaning that readers couldn’t gain these two respective points in one read.
What this creates is that if you set the bar of an outcome, or let’s say an ending too high, the story starts to become harder to achieve that ending.
If the readers didn’t get enough points and end up with a bad ending, majority of them might not be that pleased, even you did mention that the point system is involved in the ending path.

Don’t be bothered by it. Tell the readers that the actions and beliefs the characters have do not reflect theirs, nor does the author, you, necessarily agrees or disagrees with it.
You know your characters better than the readers.

5 Likes

I don’t like or dislike them so I guess i’m neutral :thinking: I love choices especially choices that let me shape my MC, her experience, talents, personality, her view on her world, her relationships with her friends family love interests and point systems seem to be an integral part of that and of choices in general so they’re definitely needed IMO.

The only times I don’t like them is when it’s super confusing (basically when there’s a lot of point categories but the author doesn’t explain it to us period or not very well), there’s multiple love interests but the author plays favorites and gives us way more interactions/choices/chances to earn points with their favorite but barely any with the other love interests and if you gotta have so many points to end up with one of them it makes it hard to end up with anyone except the favorite, when the author doesn’t tell us when we earn or lose a point because say you need so many points to get a certain ending or to end up with a certain love interest in a multiple love interest story you’ll have no idea what you need to pick or not pick and it’ll end up being a guessing game with lots of replays involved (if you’re that dedicated :joy:), when the author makes us pick a love interest too soon in a story resulting in us getting next to no interactions with the other ones and in turn next to no chances to earn points with them and if you need so many points to end up with them that makes it hard if most of your chances to earn points are for the love interest the author made us pick way too soon or when the author only lets us buy so many points at once and only for one love interest/other point category versus just letting us max everything out in the beginning so we can do whatever we want and not worry about it lmao, etc.

Thankfully tho 99% of the time the authors do an amazing job with them and tbh I also think they’re a great way for authors to get support and earn gems if they decide to let readers buy points at the end of a chapter- kinda a win win readers get more points and authors get gems :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

i have a love hate relationship with it lol. i hate it when (one of the community stories i read recently did this) the option to raise a li’s points costs gems. and im not talking abt when at the end of the episode, they ask if you want to buy points. no, i’m talking about when it’s like “Comfort him (5 gems)” or “do nothing (-5 love points”) aghhhh just make the choices free please

5 Likes

Considering it’s just keeping track of variables, it’s really up to the writer of the story to determine how their “point system” works.

A well written story with a point system should match the choices readers have been making.

A badly written story with a point system will ultimately put off readers as they’re funneled a different way to the choices they were making. Although I do wonder if that’s on purpose so they can make you spend gems to get points?

I’m writing my first story and the plots not that complicated so I’m just going to be using gains instead.

I like point system as it unlocks bonus scenes and all but I hate the fact that your ending depends on the number of points you have. If you want to make the ending depend on the points its ok but then you should do a bonus chapter where the reader can see the other possible endings without having to pay gems. I have read a few stories where you had to have enough LI points to have a happy ending and then to change your ending or see the other possible ending I had to pay gems. Which is annoying.

Also, some stories the choices are so hard that you don’t even know which one will have a good outcome. Which also annoys me as a reader.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

As an author, I find using a point system can be quite useful. It’s a good way to keep track of a number of different variables depending on how complex you choose to make the branching. Which, in turn, can be used to determine how different events play out within the story, which LI the reader is better suited for, or the ending they receive as a consequence of those choices. Though I do agree with some of the negatives mentioned above, such as getting more point options with one LI versus another leading to skewed results. The biggest problem I had as a reader was choices that were unclear about intent. There’ve been a number of stories I read where I chose a response but it wasn’t in the tone I thought it was. I would think I was choosing a funny sarcastic response but it ended up being a mean or cruel one. This is why, to me, the most important things is to make sure intent is clear in the choice as well. Whenever I code a choice where the dialogue could be taken a couple different ways I make sure to put the tone in the choice as well. Because there’s nothing worse than making a choice and then thinking “I didn’t mean it like that.” :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes