What bothers you the most when reading a story on Episode?

Hey,
Since you probably have seen the title already, you know what I am addressing here. I am writing a story and I am excited to publish, but I want to know what people out here don’t like in a story.
Post below what bothers you when reading a story! :wink:

-@KissyFishy123

5 Likes

when The mc has the most driest, boring, bland personality but surprisingly the best friend is more out going.

Also when the MC keeps running back to the abusive toxic bad boy or “love interest” that doesn’t know how to treat her right. And in episodes you see her crying “ oh ___ did this too me” and then 2 seconds later she’s back with him. Like sis there’s other guys. It’s not like he’s the only Male in the world. But that’s how most authors usually portray episode stories. Cliches like that makes us females look gullible and easy to take advantage of. (Which is not true.)

For once I’d actually want to see the mc to leave the toxic love interest and find a wayy better guy so the toxic LI can beg for her instead of always the Mc chasing him. Idk maybe that would be way better other than bad boy cliches :grin:

6 Likes

Very cliche stories.
(Bad boy, mean girl and her minions, etc.)

2 Likes

1)When the story line is rushed.
You don’t need to fall in love within 3 episodes.

2)When the story is not unique. That bad boy story or wolf story has so many others to compete with. That plot better be good.

1. If there is not one single funny character in the story. I personally like at least one funny person or even just funny moments.

I am not picky but these usually make or break a story for me. Unless the story itself is amazing.

3 Likes
  1. Bad grammar (I understand that for some people English is not a first language, including me, but at some stories it’s just really bad)

2. Boring or predictive plot

3. When MC falls for the Bad boy who treats her like a shit

4. When MC has 2 or 3 live interests and cant choose so she/he is with all of them.

5. Bad directing

4 Likes

i hate when the main love interest tells the MC that they don’t love her, but they do nothing the whole story but show they do lmao

2 Likes

How some stories introduced the characters at the start of episode 1 before even starting the story and have us to read episode 2 to actually start the story. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

When romances move far too quickly - I don’t know it just bothers me. Perhaps it is just me being a sucker for slowburns and I appreciate the more emotional aspect of the romance.

Sure, making out with someone is great and all but I really would rather see the deep emotional bond shared between two characters being shown along with the physical aspect as these two things complement each other.

The complete lack of acknowledgement of the existence of contraceptives in some stories - um no, stay safe kiddies. You see some stories mock or somewhat fetishise virginity - where honestly this is a personal choice and as long as you are safe, the choice should be respected.

When there is very little soul or meaning to the story/little love put into the story. Yes, one may put effort into the story but you can tell when a writer does not put soul into their work. I’d rather read a story written from the heart than a story made to generate reads.

Mary Sues suck - yes, they are agreeable characters but the characters I wanna shake and be like get a grip are my favourites because it shows how well-written they are. I really want to root for characters, I do not need these characters to be angelic (I mean if you are writing about angels that is a different story :joy:)

8 Likes

I agree with Days, I hate when romances move too fast, I honestly like it when characters share a subtle kiss maybe like 6 episodes in, because the awkward first kiss is cute and all, but later on in the story when you witness a scene of two characters kissing again, you can distinguish the meaning and passion that is put into the kiss once they’ve had more time together to grow!

4 Likes

I also hate when layer placements are completely out of sync, it makes everything look so tacky lol

3 Likes

i hate it when there’s waaay too much going on in a story and suddenly the whole storyline changes. I honestly enjoy some stories that have a simple plot as long as it well written and developed.

4 Likes

I’m tired of reading Mc got a crush with the guy she likes and she was going to confess to him, but he’s already taken by her best friend who betrayed her or mean girl who bullied her :confused:

4 Likes

When the characters don’t really have a backstory or emotions or flaws, and really bad grammar.

5 Likes

When situations are too unrealistic. For example, there was a story (I think it might be called “complicated” or something) but the MC’s mother was like I’m leaving for a job tomorrow and the MC showed no emotion like “oh well, my moms leaving tomorrow on short notice and I’m going to live alone. Okay” Like she didn’t even care!

7 Likes

Yes :joy:
I personally love feeling like I have a personal connection to the character, when things are left unsaid it can really project a “rushed” vibe towards a story.

3 Likes

I know! It just seemed wrong!

2 Likes

I know this is kind of a strange thing… but it really bothers me when I make a choice and then a readermessage pops up and says “Bob will remember that!” It ruins the immersion for me. (is that the right word?) Like, I wouldn’t mind a warning in the beginning that says “Choices have consequences!”

It’s just something that bugs me, like a little pet peeve, and I feel like I’m the only one who is bothered by this.

4 Likes

It bothers me sometimes, but it honestly depends on the plot. Idk if that makes sense…

3 Likes

That’s true I guess, sometimes it upsets me more than others.

3 Likes

I agree. I feel like every main character is the boring one. They should make a MC that is fun and outgoing someday.

2 Likes