What character tropes do you like or dislike?

for example: bad boy, mean girl, mafia ceo etc.

6 Likes

I can’t say that I hate any particular character trope for the reason of a trope that can be done differently from the others. Like flipping the script. For instance I remeber back when I wanted to make a sims 3 or a sims 2 movie I watched this sims 2 series where there was a mean girl, she was a model that had a boys following her everywhere, but no, she had to have this one hot guy that didn’t like her back and she bullied the one girl he did like that happened to be the cute nerdy girl. The way she was made different though is that the mean girl was the main character and we saw that cliche story from her POV, and we rooted for her and wanted her to either date the one LI she was pining for or finally succumb to the other LI competing with her. Through her eyes, everything the mean girl does in basic copy+paste stories isn’t seen as mean or vindictive, it’s seen as a desparate attempt by a girl madly in love and when watching it form her POV we get both sides of the story and see there is no villain.

What I do hate is the characters where I can describe a character and 10 000 other characters would also fit the script.

3 Likes

yea you have a point here

1 Like

i haven’t seen this trope around much but i love a “grumpy-negative character being befriended by an optimistic, sunny, happy-go-lucky character.” maybe it’s been done or not, but i haven’t seen it. i mostly see it with love interests, not friends.

6 Likes

Well that. But also, everyone is perfectly handsome or pretty. Give me an ugly LI (without makeover sh&t). Why not an ugly LI for the whole story. For example, those mafia, CEO, bad boys (15 years old at high school) have already tattoos in some of the stories. Make the LI an old ugly bad boy in an elderly home (maybe I give someone funny ideas and if not I will write a story like that myself. :clown_face:) And those mean girls and creeps in alleys get me bored as f*ck. Why no mean guys and female creeps in alleys??

3 Likes

I mean I get your point, you’re bored of people being always hot and irresistible in those stories, but I’d argue that making the MCs or LIs ugly isn’t as good of an idea as you think it is. Firstly, making somebody ugly on an episode story is a bit hard, and if you do make them ugly, a lot of people won’t read it. Secondly, you might think it’s a breath of fresh air, but it’s going from one extreme to another.
I’d say the best think to do to avoid everybody being perfectly handsome and stuff would be to just focus on the personality. For instance, I’m writing this story I will never publish (Too embarrased) and the LIs are never called beautiful or pretty unless it’s a situation where somebody puts on a dress and people say “Wow you’re pretty in that dress”. For the LIs I focused more on their own personalities and goals in life. For instance one LI is a cute blonde girl with pony tails and she smiles a lot, but she was chosen as the heir of her father and people didn’t see why she should be the heir next to her siblings. She goes on an adventure to prove the people that she is serious and responisble and that the fact she’s bubbly and cute shouldn’t mean she isn’t serious and accountable when she needs to be. She either ends up with the MC or she ends up with a God. Depending on how many points you get with her and who you end up with, the LIs you said no to or that you can’t get with just turn to either their goals, thei’r own LIs or both.

4 Likes

@LeviTheLunatic:
I agree with you at that point that no one would love to read a story with an ugly MC and/or ugly LI. But at the other hand I am so sick of the episode bad boy mafia CEO being so young and handsome, while most mafia and gang men are old (and ugly) in real life.
What I try to say is that I saw those cliche stuff so much it starts to irritate and bore me.
Why shouldn’t you publish it?? I really would read it, because the storyline sounds great.

1 Like

I’d say I hate Mary Sues. They’re there just to mock other broken characters for being broken.

2 Likes

Tbh I think every LI and MC are Mary Sues … Like nobody has a flaw and then it’s just boring to read

1 Like

To say “every” is overkill :thinking: I definitely see flawed characters, characters that struggle with themselves, characters with negative morals, and characters that possesses bad traits.
And to say only the LI and MC is also not inclusive. There are side characters that are so shallow, they’re just there to play the God :joy:

And honestly that leads me to my second type of trope I hate a lot: characters that are victimized for their bad traits/morals/struggles.
Like, they’re given a free pass because they struggle with PTSD. I get it, PTSD is a huge deal, but then this is almost stereotyping a whole character about PTSD, which the character shouldn’t be defined for.

4 Likes

I think also a lot of people portraying characters with PTSD and other mental issues like Mania or Depression don’t understand what it’s like, don’t know their symptoms and feelings before they start writing about them. I really love when it’s clear somebody does their research before putting characters in stories.

1 Like

I have absolutely nothing against lgbt, but I truly dislike the gay best friends who always says to the LI “I’m not interested in her honey, cause I’m gay”.

I also dislike the mean Queen Bee’s, like not every school has such people and they are most of the time blonde with blue eyes and big fat red lips.

2 Likes

Oh yeah! I hate the gay stereotype. Like if you’ve ever seen Will from Will and Grace, he was portrayed as a regular guy who just happens to be gay and it wasn’t his identificator nor his whole personality, and that’s the type of lgbtq+ portrayal that needs to be in episode.

3 Likes

I don’t like most tropes if they’re poorly done/uncreative, but a few I hate the most (whether they’re well done or not):

• The miscommunication trope (MC walks in on something suspicious but runs away before LI can explain himself). It’s just a really really lazy way to create conflict.
  • Mafia romance anything. I loathe the romanticization of mafias that mainstream media has created. It’s truly disgusting to me. They kill people, scam people, manipulate people. What is sexy about that??
  • Love triangles. I know a lot of people love them, but under no circumstance will that be me. I have never and will never find myself in a love triangle. They’re stressful to read imo and I hate having to choose one person and leave the other heartbroken. Doubly so if the LIs are friends or brothers.

I’ll edit with more as I think of them

5 Likes

i think it would be hard to create an ugly character because beauty is subjective tbh

5 Likes

this

1 Like

Tropes I like:
Grumpy x Sunshine
Childhood friends to lovers
Rivals to Lovers
Cinnamon roll characters

Tropes I dislike:
Love triangles – Multiple love interests? No, thank you!
Cheating glorification tropes – Self-explanatory.
Bad boy saves “damsel in distress” – How about we switch it up? Girl saves the boy for a change.

4 Likes

Okay, so I have a question … Do you dislike multiple love interests because you think that means there will be love triangles that make a lot of drama?
Becuase I’m making a story and it has multiple LIs, but no love triangles. All the LIs are fully fleshed out characters and you even get to play through their POVs sometimes so when I give the option to be sweet or flirtatious with one LI, you get love points for that so when you get to choose the LI you want to be with you can only choose ones you’ve been good enough with AND when you choose one LI the others will find their own + the LIs have their own stories so it’s not even a requierment to choose a LI, the story is about the adventure with your new alien friends, no need to make one of them more than friends.

Hey, if you do this I think that’s a great storytelling choice, good on you for showcasing the trope well, but it’s not a trope I’d actively seek out to read if that makes sense.

1 Like

Activley seeking out a trope isn’t a problem to me, I just wanted to know if a trope was done well and not the bad cliche you’re used to, would you still hate it because it’s that trope?
Also, the tropes I use in my story aren’t advertisements. I think my story is different so I can’t put a bunch of tropes in the description knowing most of them are portrayed differently and those looking for those tropes would be dissapointed.