What character tropes do you like or dislike?

Hm, I like to keep an open mind. As long as the story is good, characters are fully fleshed out (which in your case they are) and it makes the reader want to keep going I don’t think the trope itself would matter at that point, more so as to what will happen next - so I’d say keep it at a good level of conflict, which is entirely up to how you want to execute it.

One example of a way to avoid cliches in your writing, perhaps you could make the dynamic between one love interest and another love interest friendly rather than tense? How does that sound?

2 Likes

That sounds good. But when it comes to my LIs none of them are tense, they’re all friendly. They were all on friendly terms before meeting the MC and the relationship between MC and LIs is frienldy unless you choose them as the LI and then that one person turns into the sole LI for the rest of the book.

Then I don’t think you’ve to worry about cliches at all. You’re on the right track.

1 Like

Oh I don’t worry about anything. My story is not reaching the shelves … I know myself and I know I’ll start writing and then decide to change something than scrap everything and rewrite and lose motivation for days so It’s not gonna be published in my lifetime.

1 Like

The miscommunication trope is so ANNOYIIIIIINNGGGGGGGG. It’s just a cheap way to amp up the drama in the final 30 minutes of a movie/the final two episodes of Episode. There are better ways to do dramatic irony. I would personally love an inversion of this trope.

A favorite character trope of mine is a character who’s just a walking meme (in a good way). In Episode stories, there is sometimes the comic relief character who is nuanced and may have a dark past, but they have the best one-liners and do stupid things.

4 Likes

See when it comes to the miscommunication trope I both hate it and love it. Depends on why the miscommunication trope is in the story. Is it to force drama that could’ve been avoided by people talking to each other, or if it’s made for commedy. And I really like miscommunication that happens for the sake of comedy.

3 Likes

Comedy miscommunication is the best :rofl:

The rom-com “This isn’t what it looks like” is what gets on my nerves (not to hate on anyone who likes this trope; this is my opinion).

2 Likes

Oh my god, I was just now on TikTok and a perfect one came to my FYP

1 Like

I am an absolute sucker for enemies/rivals to begrudged alliance to lovers as well as the grumpy/sunshine tropes. I don’t see a lot of well-done versions of them on Episode, but they’re incredible. Trapped by Aluza, Behind the Wall by Khrema, Sweet Deception by Anyanka, Top Streamer by Dynasty, Iridescent by Indigo, and The Dragon Bride by earlgreytea are some of my favorites from the enemies to lovers category.

Dare to Dream by Sarah Robbins and Clockwork Hearts by earlgreytea are two of my favorite grumpy/sunshine stories.

3 Likes

Rom-coms if the characters paused to think for more thab 0.0000002 seconds.

1 Like

this seems like a pretty common trope in episode originals for some reason

3 Likes

Every Episode Original Ever :tm:

2 Likes

actually, there’s one called The Infected that’s good. the only good one of them.

1 Like

I also want to ask, though: my story has 2 LI’s where they have conflicts that don’t regard the MC (other than being romantically involved with the MC), what’s your take on that?

2 Likes

I like that since conflict within any genre doesn’t need to stem from the characters itself – Person vs Person – friction between protagonists/antagonists. Conflict can stem from external factors such as Person vs Society – think like a protagonist accused of a crime he/she didn’t commit. Or conflicts can also be internal. For example, if the two LIs are on opposing sides of a sports team but one of them is struggling to overcome performance anxiety and his/her self-doubt. That has nothing to do with the relationship/dynamic between the MC and LI but everything to do with the LIs inner conflict which becomes Person vs Self. Hopefully that makes sense at all.

2 Likes

In short, the LI is a struggling character with his/her own arc of story and happens to be romantically involved in the MC only. Nice, it’s where I’m directing my story to, thanks for the info!

3 Likes

I think the younger generations have a skewed perception of mafia and how they operate.
They seem to think that mafia men are usually young, attractive, exocite, European men who always act ‘badass’ and murder is the only thing they get to do and they get millions for it.
When in reality mafia is a large group of older men who turn to murder only as a last resort, where in fact their whole wealth comes from the power they gained through either schemes, buying off certain people, tricking, violence or a mix of 2 or more of them together. I can’t confirm how mafia operates since I’ve only seen it in fiction and stories of actual mafia members (but the stories are from the 70s and stuff, like it’s old procedures by now, surely) but I actually think mafia now is somewhat simmilar to pirates from the OFMD.

4 Likes

I kind of hate the characters that fall too easily.
Also pregnancy stories used to be big when I was last on Episode and it made me want to vomit so I didn’t read much since then.

3 Likes

I dislike the “falling in love with your boss” —aka, Mixing Business with Pleasure trope. Look, Idc if your boss was the same age as you, that’s just wrong. If my boss pinned me up against a wall because he’s attracted to me and trying to mess with me, I’m calling the police! I’m not just gonna stand there like a wimp like some stories do ahem, Two Weeks Notice

4 Likes

I remember the pregnancy story trend. They were literally everywhere :sob:

3 Likes