What counts as a "good" intro?

I… am… STRUGGLING WITH MAKING A GOOD INTRO SNGGGFFFGGSS

Created this topic, since I’m curious to know readers’ interests on intros (e.g. presenting splashes, or a little twist on introducing the beginning of a new chapter.)

Do you like simple intros (e.g, just show the splash and get on with the plotline), or do you like a cute little (short) intro with use of overlays (e.g. intros like the Doberman, where the overlays of the two mcs are used)? :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

I like cute intros I made mine like that

1 Like

But they are longer and take lots of coding I make mine long :grimacing:

2 Likes

Ooh same!! Did you use overlays in your intro?

1 Like

Yes and I made art overlays to put in it too

2 Likes

my two favorite story intros of all time are by @fcukforcookies (in her story Pine Hollow: Hex of The Three) and @amberose (in her story One of the Girls) they’re just so creative and i can tell that they worked really hard on them. they really set you up for the atmosphere of their story, and are just really really cool and unique. if you haven’t seen them yet you should definitely check those out to get some inspo for yours! :grin:

8 Likes

Ooh thanks!! I often forget intros of stories as I move onto the plotline, and I really need an idea on clever intros.

2 Likes

I personally am so bored with a story if it starts with splashes (unless the splashes are animated and have an intriguing style like Mortem Island by Buddhalobes & Maud or Adventurous: Seven Seas by Lyra Keiken).
I would recommend doing a few intro/teaser scenes that contain really good directing, a dramatic choice, or a cliffhanger. THEN put your splashes, and after that have the rest of your chapter.

What’s your story about? Maybe we could brainstorm teaser ideas?

6 Likes

Lots of overlays and complex coding lol, that sounds a lot more harsh then I meant it to be lol,

3 Likes

I think practising and using overlays is a great thing to do because it looks really professional, like mentioned @fcukforcookies and @amberose have really awesome intros, but if you don’t know how to do it or suck at overlays like me it’s not the make or break. Intros can be the actual first few lines of your script, where you set the scene. You can use them to pull the reader into your story.

3 Likes

Hum. Well, as I was mentioned here. So I decided to make an animated intro in the first place, because I wanted the story to look more like a movie. So there were 2 things I tried to make in it:

• Setting the mood (atmosphere) of the story.
  • Decent directing.

I personally dislike long splashes or warning sequences. They just bore me to death. If you don’t want to make a complicated (or not so much) animated intro, you can always make just an art scene background, with some text overlay (story title) and fitting music theme.

3 Likes

Oof thank you @Marshmallow_O and @LillyR :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Personally, I love intros that are like opening credits. Makes it feel like a TV show. But it doesn’t suit every story… It’s just a matter of knowing what feels right for your story. A longer intro like mine tends to suit comedy stories. @Alyce.Writes has a nice omnious one in No Strings Attached which adds to the drama and gives the readers a bit of a sneak peek into future scenes. @XxAlphaBetaxX does a short intro for Welcome to the Amazon Forest but everyone still raves about it because it suits the story so well. So yeah, it just depends on the atmosphere of your story.

5 Likes

Ones that don’t take two minutes at the start of every episode? :joy:
For the first episode it doesn’t really matter, but it’s probably a good idea to keep it under 20 seconds from episode 2. Sometimes we forget that people will find and binge read our stories later and if we force them to sit through 60 second+ intros every time they’re gonna get bored real quick.

3 Likes

Your intro is important. If it’s bad, rushed, or cliche, potential readers will just give up on your story.
Loads of exposition will just make readers bored, and they’ll end up tapping through all the background information.
I’m a firm believer in show not tell. If it’s not easy to understand your story without loads of explanation at the beginning then you need to work on your writing.
I use the intro to let the reader customize and choose their name as well.
My current intro is:

Intro

Pan on a street in the night.
With rain overlay.
The MC runs to screen center, looking scared.
Cut to zone 3.
The narrator says, ‘I’d had this feeling for a while now…the feeling that somebody, or something was following me. I’d shrugged it off. I was just being paranoid, right?’
Cut to zone 1 and zoom onto the MC.
‘Wrong.’

It’s basically a flash forward to a scene that happens later on in the story, but hopefully it will hook readers in.
Best of luck with your intro!

2 Likes

Wait intros as in short scenes not the whole first chapter

1 Like

Ahhh that’s what I’ve been thinking of doing! So for the intro to my very first chapter, I’d include like this short little scene that has a “summary” / teaser of what’s to come (e.g. the plotline, pretty much).

Pm me for more details. :kissing_heart:

Tyyy!! Just what I needed to hear.

1 Like

Interesting! I’ll consider that. :wink:

1 Like

That’s very true. I often do get annoyed at extremely long intros as a reader myself! :joy: I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you!!

Yessss!! I agree with everything you said. Also, have you published your story? I’d love to check it out! :blush: