What demographic would you like to see in a story, or what demographic do you think is underrepresented?

Just as the title says!

I’m curious about what groups of people readers would like to see more, or who they feel are underrepresented. I’m thinking about entering the Clue contest, and, chances are, I’ll be making an uncustomizable MC. And I want to be able to add someone to the screen that people don’t usually see represented.

I know how important it can be for people to see, maybe, themselves on the screen, whether it be TV, movies, or Episode! I kinda doubted that power of recognition before I saw a trans character in an Episode featured story, but, now I know the feeling is pretty great.

So. Again,
What demographic would you like to see in an Episode story? And who do you feel has been underrepresented?

8 Likes

Someone that’s in their 20’s or someone that is mix race, most stories I read everyone is one singular ethnicity

5 Likes

NATIVE AMERICANS

7 Likes

Hmm I’d say mainly these 4:

• People with disabilities/impairments (especially blind or wheelchair bound)
  • Caribbean people (especially from less known/populated countries like Dominca, St Kitts & Nevis or Turk and Caicos)
  • Short guys/tall women (this is silly but most men in episode are freakishly tall)
  • Alternative/non conformist characters
10 Likes

Aboriginal Australians. I very rarely see them in episode stories and their culture even less so.

8 Likes

Bookmarking this :heart:

1 Like

YES!

3 Likes
  • Characters with disabilities
  • Characters with mental health issues represented correctly and accurately
  • Aboriginal Australians, Caribbeans
  • Sikhs, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists
  • Mixed/Biracial People added or made correctly
  • Dark skins
9 Likes

This especially because people usually just make them white people but with tan skin.

6 Likes

All the people saying mixed/biracial characters and Carribbean characters, I love you.

Also my suggestions:

• MCs in their 20s and 30s
  • People with disabilities (mental and physical)
  • Dark skinned characters
  • Parents who aren’t a-holes.
  • Native Americans
  • Asians that aren’t Japanese, Chinese, Indian, or Korean.
  • People with mental illness, that’s addressed properly
6 Likes

What everyone else said.

As for personality, for once, I’d like to see an anti-hero MC.

4 Likes

Child-free MCs. Whenever a story has an epilogue it’s babies ever after. Especially if there is any romance focus, motherhood as destiny is often built into female MCs.

9 Likes

I would like to see typical or ordinary teenagers trying to follow their dreams. It’s 2019, and it’s hard for a teenager to follow their dreams and goals because of they way they’ve been taught. (I’m speaking from experience). This is realistic and yet, there not many stories about it :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

its hard to create people with pyschical disabilities

2 Likes

Yeah but it doesn’t mean its impossible. :relieved::fist:t4:

2 Likes

Yes, hopefully episode will make it easier in the future

1 Like

And get your waves. :sob:

Yes!!! It’s 2019 why don’t we have waves yet?

1 Like

I think characters with conditions such as albinism and vitiligo are underrepresented. (I understand that it isn’t currently possible to make a character with vitiligo on episode, but I think it should become possible in the near future.)

There also need to be more Male MCs. Period.