What do authors add in a story that you dislike/ or make the character do that you dislike

This is so accurate oml

I don’t change characters hair, skin, or eye color in stories I read. That way the art scenes still look good but I customize actual features. And I make my story limited CC for the purpose of art scenes

When I have timed choices that matter they don’t actually matter, like the MC escaping a fire in my story had timed choices that effected absolutely nothing :sob:

4 Likes

but not as much epic as you tho :eyes:

2 Likes

I hate when authors do the “other girl” trope, where they add in another female character who’s very hyper feminine and conventionally attractive who’s also interested in the male love interest . . . and demonize her on completely based on that. And i’m not talking about when the other girl tries to “steal” the female MCs man when they know they’re together. It’s just a girl who’s simply attracted to the male love interest. I absolutely hate that trope and its super misogynistic.

11 Likes

i think this is one of the best convos I have ever seen on here let’s just say that :joy_cat: :skull:

1 Like

I totally agree. It represents 'the other woman’s so badly.

2 Likes

I have a lot of little things that annoy me, but two big things that drive me up the wall. First is narration. I understand lots of people use it, but so many of them don’t use it well. If you want to write long passages about what the characters are thinking and feeling then write prose. This is a visual storytelling medium, which means you should be communicating with visuals and dialogue, not long winded narrative exposition dumps. I know the animations are somewhat limiting, but I have yet to find something I can’t “show” in a story.

The other thing is plot elements that are just unrealistic. Some examples: the high schooler with absent parents that enables them to do anything and everything the plot requires, the MC who runs away crying after seeing the LI talk with someone else (usually an ex) rather than talking with them about it, female characters who go walking into dark alleys alone as if this ever happens in real life, and the MC who’s intelligent and street smart… until she meets the LI at which point her brain leaks out of her ears and dumb decisions are on the horizon. I can forgive a lot provided there’s consistent internal logic, but some things are just plain ridiculous and as soon as I see them I’m out.

10 Likes

Example?

2 Likes

UHHHHG THIS

Even more when authors say u cant change skin cuz its “plot relevant”( most times done for fair skin characters) or the other excuse be aware that u wont match overlays if u go to any other skintone thats not light

2 Likes

Pretty much anytime the MC is narrating to the reader. Though there are a few exceptions to this. If you’re getting narration because of some sort of time skip to explain what happened that’s fine, best if that narration is over different visual scenes showing snippets of what happened though. If the narration is to explain something that absolutely cannot be shown using available assets visually. Or if the MC talking to the reader about events in their past is itself the story. This is, of course, my own personal opinion. But think of how many tv shows and movies use narration. Not many. How many do it well? A tiny percentage, though it can be done.

8 Likes

A good way to use narration would be showing the scene and then including the voicover for context instead of just having the character stand there while the backstory is explained.

5 Likes

Yep, that’s what I was thinking when I mentioned narrating a time jump but while showing different snippits of what happened. You should always be seeing something happening on screen.

3 Likes

unless they have like nightmares/flashbacks that happen later on there’s no use to just having a blank screen while it’s going on

1 Like

What do you mean? Wouldn’t you just show the nightmare/flashback?

1 Like

yea but some people just leave the mc or person having them in the frame explaining it bit by bit with bubbles or just narrating it then you don’t have a good idea of what’s happening cus it’s just the black screen or character crying and having a panic attack or sum

1 Like

Authors need to add gems in their stories for the ranks like if their story is drama and it had lots of reads and ppl pays gems it will be number 1

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d much rather see the flashback, their reaction to it, and the reaction of anyone else who happens to be around to the person having the flashback. Because it’s a visual storytelling medium I don’t want to be told what happened, I want to be shown by the actions and words of the characters. I really dislike when it just has a character sitting on screen doing the same looped animation with a bunch of narration telling me everything they think and feel.

3 Likes

yea or at least add it at some point in the chapter

1 Like

another one of mine is like really long or really short

Agreed. The internalized misogyny in these stories is unreal.

2 Likes

Facts. I don’t allow skin tone customization in the two customizable characters in my story because their skin tones matter as they are meant to be a specific race. It’s a fantasy story, but the MC and his story is supposed to be mexian-based. The LI is mixed black/white and an element of her story is being mixed. If I let people change their skin tones, especially if readers change my characters’ whole race, then their stories and the plot won’t have as much impact.

4 Likes