What do readers look for in the first 3 chapters of a story?

What are some important things that authors should include in the first 3 chapters of a story? Something that must catch reader’s attention. Please help me list a few :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I normally let the readers customize and get to know their character… Then I might put in some choices regarding their love interests… Just make sure you get the readers to understand what your story is about. Make sure to leave off right before your characters are about to do something exciting so readers keep reading :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, definitely. Cliffhangers are great lol. Thanks you sm for helping out :blush:

I assure you my story is not another gangster story lmaoo I’m sick of them too :joy: My story is somewhat of a cliché but not as much. I can share a small description of the story. Here: “Childhood friends Neil and Kinsley lose touch when Kinsley moves to Italy for the opportunity of a lifetime. But little does Kinsley know, Neil’s been in love with her since as far as he can remember! When things don’t pan out, will Neil still be waiting for her in their hometown and will she finally realize what she’s been missing out on?”

3 Likes

1.Directing must be PERFECT
2.15-20 mins episodes long
lol I cant think of more :joy::joy:

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community as this is an Episode-specific post :v:t2:

I have to have a reason to continue. If it doesn’t seem like your plot has a clear direction, I probably won’t be continuing. I don’t care that “the first three episodes are pilots and the story gets much better from episode 7”. If I’m bored reading a story, I won’t bother continuing even if you promise that it gets better.
You don’t need to give the whole plot away, but there needs to be enough to keep me intrigued without being completely confused. Cliffhangers are good.
If a story has a more “cliche” plot, I’ll need to see something unique in the first three episodes if I’m going to continue reading.

4 Likes

Thank you so much :grin:

Yeah, I used to do Instagram reviews and sometimes I’d mention that I felt like not much happened in the first three episodes or that I didn’t really know where the story was going and the most common reply was “oh it picks up from episode [insert number here]” or “oh it will all become clear from episode 10”. If nothing has caught my attention so far, I won’t continue reading. If I’m unsure after just one episode, I might continue but if I’m still unsure after three I won’t.

1 Like

If readers like your story in the first three episodes, don’t take too long to update. I was reading two stories that at the finale they just stopped, and the authors haven’t written anything more for about 3 months. Please don’t be that kind of author! People will read your story if they’ve heard you update often. Sorry if that came off as rude.

Love, Cass.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely keep that in mind haha. Thank you!

1 Like

This is a very good question because the early chapters are crucial to if a person will continue your story. I am excited to read this and see what other people say. I’ll comment myself later.

1 Like

You’re right. I can understand why readers might feel that way. I’ll make sure not to include any comment of that sort in my story :joy:

1 Like

No, that’s totally understandable. I, myself, am that kind of reader. I tend to lose interest if the author takes forever to update lol I make sure to update as often as I can.

Decent grammar is very important and a good gist of the story is too. If the character is in pain, make me feel that pain too. Paint a picture and set the story in enough motion to make people hungry for more.

1 Like

Not all stories have the same thing in the first 3 chapters of every story, but what would catch the reader’s attention would be good directing. Like some impressive use of zooms and pans? Also the plot has to make sense and it’s gotta be clear. You have to make your first impression on your first 3 chapters, because that’s when they decide to continue.

1 Like

I want also to have a clear direction of where the story is going and something that catches my attention, be it plot or characters.

1 Like

To everyone who responded and everyone else: since my story sounds a bit of a cliché (trust me it isn’t, I made sure to add my own spin on it. If you want to read a little description, I’ve added it in the post description), what can I do or add to make the readers not think that it just yet another typical story? I’d love some thoughts on it :slight_smile: @ViviOfficially @brvnda @EliseC @Dr.Smile07 @ReeseTheReallyGrumpy @Salma.N @ShortSpaces @Maddie0020

2 Likes

I think you should add “you decide” to make the reader feel like they have power (even if they don’t)
or condense the description a little. I wish I could provide more help, but unfortunately, lots of people tend to stay away from my story too due to the description…

1 Like
  1. Good Directing
  2. Good Grammar
  3. Interesting Plot
  4. “Attention Grabber”
  5. A Reason to Continue Reading
2 Likes

I’ll sure read it but lol I cant now since I have an exam :joy:

1 Like