What do you consider "successful"?

A recent post made me realize I don’t really know what I consider to be “successful” on Episode. So I’ll all of you guys!

What do you consider “successful”? Is it reads? How many followers you have? How many people tag you or talk to you about your story? How much fanmail you get? Something else? I’m curious!

I think the activity of your readers (fanmails, screenshots etc) and your ranking (if you’re in the first 300) are the things that makes someone pretty much successful to me, although all of this must be stable. You cannot go any lower on your rank and you must keep getting fanmails etc.

That’s really interesting :thinking:. By this definition that would make me successful but I don’t think of myself that way. Or maybe I am successful but not popular? :woman_shrugging:

About a month ago my story hit 10k reads, since then I’ve had a big increase in reads and rank. Currently at 77k reads and ranked like 300s overall and 70s in drama. I haven’t updated in a while because of approvals :roll_eyes: but before all this the lowest I saw was 130 overall and 43 drama. So even though the numbers are big I don’t necessarily feel successful? No one’s ever tagged me on Instagram (unless it’s a request I made myself) and my fanmail is 90% about CC or if I’m still writing. With a few sprinklings of love in there. It seems people like my story but not many reach out? I don’t feel any different except for the constant state of shock when I see the numbers because it still feels a bit surreal :joy:

I think it depends on your personal goals, rather than one sweeping definition for success. What does the author want to achieve, and has the author achieved it? It won’t be the same for everyone, and it isn’t always about reads/fanmail/reader interaction.
If my goal was to make money off of Episode, for example, I wouldn’t be successful. But if it’s to create content that people can appreciate, then I’ve been successful because people have told me that my work has actually made a positive impact on them.
I don’t try to label others as successful or unsuccessful because I don’t know for sure what they want out of writing on Episode.

Inb4 the responses of “it’s not that deep”

I honestly think that this is really difficult to define.
It’s interesting because I also think everyone’s idea of what a “popular” author is differs too.

There are authors in this community who might have one story with millions of reads but their other stories may have very few reads. Does one “successful” story make you successful as an author?

I don’t really think a high follower count is an indication of success/popularity unless the majority of those followers actively read your stories. In some cases, authors have high follower counts for different reasons (e.g some are editors as well) or like my above point, the majority of their followers are from one story.

I think each person defines their personal success in different ways.
I consider a story of mine “successful” if it gets reads (lol) but also, I base a story’s success on other measures. Am I getting fanmail? Are people sharing it or DMing me or commenting on my posts? In my opinion, my most “successful” story was/is Spotlight: Maternal Instincts even before it got on the shelf. Why? Because although it had the least amount of reads in two weeks out of all my stories (excluding my crappy first one), it easily had the most amount of shares, screenshots and positive feedback. The majority of readers really seemed to like the story and they really seemed to relate to and like my characters (which really means a lot to me). The story has decent reads now, but I considered it successful well before it did simply because people seemed to like it (and I was/am proud of the story. That’s important too lol).

Wow that’s all so deep! And not in a bad way :joy::joy:. I guess I never thought about what I wanted to achieve in Episode :thinking:. At first it was just for fun and I didn’t really expect people to read much of my story. Things have definitely changed with time for the better. I’ve had a couple people DM me on Instagram to tell me they loved the story/characters and even sent me some screenshots. Which by the way, totally hit me in the feels. :sob::sob:

Thanks for the responses! You’ve opened my eyes to things I’ve never really thought about.

There are so many things to unpack here and I can’t wait to see everyone’s opinions.

My own personal opinion on this has changed a lot. For my first year on episode, it was a struggle to get to 100 reads. So I would have said getting to 100 reads is a success. But then of course, I join forums and see certain people be upset that there story has been out for a week and only has 300 views. So things like that did start to deminish what I thought had been my own successful achievements.

With my most recent story, I’ve actually got a lot of fanmail. And it’s like full on paragraphs too, so that is like another way I measure my own personal success- if someone goes out of their way to message me about my story, that’s a big deal to me.

I think the only black and white form of success is if you’re in payments program. If you’re in it, you must have won a contest or have a crazy amount of reads, so no one can deny you are successful. But I think other than that, other forms of success are subjective.

Those are amazing points and I think my opinion is changing on this too :thinking:. I guess there’s actually a lot of different ways to try and determine how successful you are.

Also paragraphs??? That’s amazing :scream::sob::tada:
I wish I had fanmail like that.

Unfortunately it’s mostly just “CuSTomizATion?!?!?!” :weary::weary::weary:

You poor thing! But yes, paragraphs (casual brag). It’s probably the most heartwarming method of measuring success, because it lets me know people are engaging with the story. I once had someone message me a few of her favourite parts/quotes from the first batch of episodes and I was just shocked she could still remember it after binge reading

Awww :sob::sob: That’s so sweet!

I’m not a writer on Episode, but over the years in my life, I learned a lot about achieving goals.

So, what is success? Well, I know what success is to me, but I don’t know what success means to someone else. It is subjective as others have said, but it is also objective as well.

But generally, success is achieved from setting a goal and achieving it. So in order to become successful, you need to have a goal first or you’re going nowhere. In order to achieve this goal, you need to make a plan. And of course, you have to commit to that plan and do it, otherwise there is no point. If you want something, you need to truly want it. And to do that, you must work towards it. Right?

As my profile biography says…
"We don’t deserve anything. Work for it, then no one can say you haven’t earned it." - A.J. Styles

This is something that I have lived by for the last few years. Any goal of mine, will be driven by this quote. Whether I do choose to write on Episode or not, I always remember this. Since I don’t write, I’ll just say this. Success isn’t deserved. Success is earned. I hate the word ‘deserve’ in some contexts. For example, taking a test in school. Do you ‘deserve’ an A+ on a test, even if you didn’t study, or do you ‘earn’ an A+ on a test by studying effectively? What if you still studied but didn’t get an A+ on a test?

Well, you still have to earn it in my book, and learn from your mistakes. In this case, something didn’t go according to plan in your goal. I’ll get more to this later.

It is much better to earn things and put in the work. In this case, success. If we all truly deserved things we wanted, we would have it already, without having to work, for free.

We must earn and work for the things we want or need from our goals.

Now, there is one main mistake that many people make when it comes to goals.

Let’s say you don’t succeed. You fail. Have you ever heard thr saying, that a person who makes the same mistake twice, is a fool?

Here’s why.

Let’s say you’re a manager at some awesome pizza restaurant. The atmosphere is nice, and the workers are just lovely. Now you are a chef, and you make pizzas. There is a specific recipe that you must follow. If you make one pizza exactly like a recipe calls for, but then you make another pizza but don’t use enough tomato sauce or cheese on the pizza, is it going to be the same?

No, it will not. The customer is very angry, and gets a refund and the pizza is taken back.

So you are now the manager again. What do you do? Do you just send the chef to look at the result of a mistake that he made, or do you tell him to go over what lead to that mistake?

What I am trying to say is that if you don’t succeed at your goal, whatever it may be, you need to look at the actions it took to get there so you can learn from it and not repeat the same mistake again. Give something else a try and do something different, giving much thought to the new plan and activities, since what you did isn’t working out. Input -> Activities -> Output. You don’t just look at the results, or output, wondering “why is it not working?”. There is a reason for everything. You look at the input and activities and adjust, change, or improve them to meet what you want to achieve from your goal. And this applies to success and goals, both in real life and on Episode.

No one can succeed without a goal with a plan on top if it. Success is not a goal. Success is a result of the goal going according to plan, and everyone’s is different. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be success.

This went longer than I expected lol. I apologize for the long post, but these are my thoughts on it. Apologies for any grammatical errors, too. Posted from my phone. :slight_smile:

this will sound awfully philosophical. but I think we all need to define success for ourselves or we’ll never have it.

For me, personally, success would be for other people to be discussingmy story on the forums on their own accord.

If I ever stumbled on a forum and someone mentions my work, or they start making their own theories about the mystery or discussing how they think/want it to end, that would just make my whole day. Hell, even if they were just ranting about how one character REALLY gets on their nerves and they can’t wait to see them get what’s coming to them, that would really be cool, lol.

I haven’t even released my story yet. I’m still trying to get everything polished, but I put a lot of work into making an interesting set up and craft it to be somewhat of a mystery in terms of plot. I did this specifically to see if I could get people to talk about and speculate what the mystery is! x)

I already talked about it a little on the other topic, but honestly, for me success is having at least one dedicated reader who derives enjoyment from reading my stories. All the reads in the world are just meaningless numbers (well, unless you’re getting paid, because we all gotta eat :woman_shrugging: ) if you can’t see the results that your writing has on others. If someone tells me my work broke their heart, made them laugh, made them cry, gave them hope or inspired them, ,
I mean, someone made me a fan art of my story a month or two back and I was so excited that for a moment I couldn’t even breathe. Now, that felt like success - the fact that someone put effort into making something creative, inspired by my story.

Honestly, if you choose a popular cliche and keep writing enough episodes in the same story, you’re going to get a lot of reads eventually, but giving someone a strong emotional response through the written word? Not everyone can do that, and if you’ve ever managed to, I’d say you’re pretty damn successful.

For me “successfull” in episode is when you make original story and you have readers who read every episode of this story and leave you fanmail, post screenshots. Even if they aren’t a lot, in my opinion when they really enjoy it you are successfull.

You wrote Villain Rehab! I checked it out when browsing the Hidden Gems’ shelf- I only watched the first episode (didn’t have time to read the rest) and that directing was amazing!!!

I think of the same things successful. I write because I imagine that one day, someone will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

I like this thread!
I think my idea of successful has changed over the years here. Now I would consider just having a steady reader base who throughly enjoys reading what I wrote and actively engages in discussions about a story I wrote that is true to what I love to write and am actually proud of writing. Also, receiving feedback from readers telling me how much a storybchanged their perspective or even inspired them to do something positive with their lives. Numbers and acknowledgement by Episode is nice, but it doesn’t necessarily measure success or happiness.

I think it’s easy to set ourselves up for failure (in our own eyes) when we start to compare our numbers to other authors or focus on rankings (speaking from last experience).

omg I’m sorry, I never replied to this! :sob:
I’m so glad you liked the directing, because I’ve made it more and more unnecessarily complicated as they story goes on and it’s slowly destroying my soul :joy:

And yeah, messages like this one are what make me feel. Not numbers. :slight_smile:

To me, it’s someone who succeed to make a impact on his readers’. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I think its really easy to get wrapped up in the numbers, how many reads or the different ranks. Like you all have said the readers is what means everything and I had an amazing week!

I recently revealed a little twist in my story and one of readers saw my hints, it was great. Then I had readers who didn’t see it coming and both reactions were priceless. I also got my first ever surprise edit this week by someone super sweet who said the couple in my story was their favorite couple :sob::sob:. Kind of been an emotional week in the best kind of way haha.