What do you do when you come across art theft?

Hope this is the right place to ask this.
I went onto my episode instagram account for the first time in ages today and ended up on the page of a girl who does “digital art” (i.e. tracing photos in a very obvious way). I really don’t care about that. It doesn’t really undercut anyone else’s hard work, and it never looks good anyway.

But among the block colours and unstructured hairlines were a couple of good drawings in a completely different style. Quick Pinterest search, and of course they’re traced from other people’s hard work. Her captions don’t acknowledge this.

So I comment and tell her that plagiarism isn’t cute. She gets PISSY. Changes her captions to say that the outlines aren’t hers, she just “practiced” them from someone else’s work - but still doesn’t mention the actual creators, of course. Rants, blocks me.

My question is: if you see people acting like that, do you say something? Am I supposed to point it out, or just let her be an embarrassing teenager (I assume / hope) in peace and never be taught that lesson?

9 Likes

Today I came across some account on Instagram and this account literally claimed they had drawn some artworks from Davinci and van Gogh. I didn’t really know what to do so I firstly messaged her kindly to take down her posts, but soon I noticed that it isn’t worth my time to start a fight. So I just reported them for scam and blocked them.

If I was in your place I would call this artist out and try to report.

8 Likes

Lmfao that’s priceless :joy:

3 Likes

Some coments were just like oMg YoUrE sO tAlEnTeD and I was like, are you kidding meee brooo!?

Thats what I told them… I think I lost some brain cells after that…

Also sorry for the spam I just needed to rant.

12 Likes

Oh god :grimacing: I have to assume she’s joking

4 Likes

bad enough SHE doesn’t know who they are but there are literally people who believe it was her art? LMAO i don’t know if i should laugh or cry right now

7 Likes

Same here dude

2 Likes

Oh brooo just scrolling thru that acc… joking or not she has Issues.

3 Likes

definetly, and their story is full with things like- Y’aLl ArE oBsEsSeD wItH mE -

2 Likes

This person must have some major issues idk how to explain this otherwise

3 Likes

It’s the self-harm jokes for me :nauseated_face: :mask:

3 Likes

I like how she wrote on the caption my art :100:

2 Likes

I think that’s her thing. Making fun of episode artists and sarcastically being like “yeah I painted the Mona Lisa”. I don’t know any of the drama in this community but it just seems mean.

3 Likes

I really don’t know what’s going on with this person but I’m way to exhausted to start a fight or try to change something. People like that won’t change their opinions because they think they are the royality of this world or sm stupid like that… Tho the I painted the Mona Lisa kinda reminds me of these twins that were like- who painted the Mona Lisa? Davincii??? Ima stop talking now. :joy:

2 Likes

:rofl: She even didn’t know he was dead??? I am Dutch and I grew up with the information that he was dead for over 200 years… :roll_eyes: But yeah I always credit the artists for there work in my stories. I even feel guilty when I forgot to credit someone in my stories. :woman_facepalming: My advise :point_right: Report her/him to instagram.

2 Likes

I think she lost more brain cells than you.

3 Likes

Yeesh, No offense to that person but stealing from famous artists isn’t exactly convincing.

2 Likes

I don’t wanna ruin anyone’s time but the second you start calling people out by name is when you can get into trouble on forums. :sob: Be careful with that stuff, espc since you showed her username, which seems to be her irl name.

5 Likes

A couple people said stuff, but like still, WTH? She can’t steal a famous artist painting

3 Likes

Stealing from an Instagram artist is one thing, but stealing from a world famous artist? :joy: From the looks of it, seems like they’re joking but in general, it’s not just about hurting the artist’s feelings either, it’s just human decency and respect lol

5 Likes