What do you guys think? Is stealing ok?

At around October, 2017 I started writing a story, It’s called Separated at Birth, then I published it, I enjoyed writing it so much but then I realized it wasn’t that good, I wanted to provide the readers something better, you know? So many people read it. More than 105.00k. I didn’t understand how. So I started doing the revamped version, right now I have 3 chapters done but haven’t published because I found out a few days that what was my unique and original idea was now something some people started writing about, I found stories on episode, Instagram accounts, etc… It’s just so frustrating that some people think it’s ok to just steal someone’s idea, not ask for permission and don’t even give credit.
I already decided that I will not be publishing the revamped version thanks to a few people that ruined it. All my hard work is now gone.
Thoughts?

5 Likes

stealing people ideas are NOT okay. Be careful when u are giving ideas out, and people will steal it and just do it when they see that others are doing it, and readers are gonna be like “wait a minute, isn’t this story the same thing?” U get my point? So, leave your plot ideas as to your own private thing to do.

Thats why when people ask what the story is about, do not give out to much info. Always keep your plot to yourself until u publish your story.

4 Likes

Someone stole your story? That’s so f*cked up.

4 Likes

stealing is of course not okay. but separated twins is not actually an original idea. I have old stories I have written ten years ago with that plot. and movies older than me has it. to name a few there is the parent trap. Twitches

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure she means they stole the entire or most of the way she made the story, not just the concept.

1 Like

I know there’s some like that, but they are not copied, I meant on episode btw

1 Like

Is there a lot of similarities? Like characters are similar all the way to the dialogue?

What do you mean? the movies to my story or my story to other people’s?

You said someone stole your story. I’m asking if you noticed the similarities. Were the characters alike to yours? Dialogue? Scenes?

you did not actually give any more information about what they stole other than separated twins which as i said it is an old idea. if they have stolen more you should explain what. for what you have told it do not sound like they have done anything wrong.

if they have stolen the plot. it is wrong . but if they just use the clichi of separated twins it is not.

5 Likes

I found some stories, their description was similar to mine. I was curious so I clicked on the story, The character had the same skin tone, eye color purple and hair color but that was it.

Maybe you should read more of it before claiming? I mean, the description does give off they stole it but you need more info and proof.

5 Likes

I know, ill keep reading then.

1 Like

Thank you for giving me your opinions.

2 Likes

you have to keep in mind that.
“no thought is a unique thought”. if you thought it chances are someone else thought it too.
now UNLESS someone copied you word from word, plot to plot than that’s a different story.
but you are writing about being separated at birth. the descriptions are most likely going to sound familiar. characters features are also limited too. so most likely it’s a conscience.

12 Likes

It really depends on how similar your stories are! I’d love to know a little more about them. The idea of being separated at birth has been around in literature for centuries, so if it’s just that, it’s not really stealing :blush:

6 Likes

Stealing isn’t okay especially when it comes to stealing someone’s story idea. Why would anybody want to steal someone’s story idea and plot? Maybe they can’t think of a story idea on their own, but it’s still not right to steal someone’s story.

4 Likes

Have you found out who stole your story? That was so wrong of them to do that.

It’s a concept in the movie Parent Trap as well.

As for the stealing, if 10% or more of one’s work (in the literary section of copyright act), then it is considered plagiarism. But I’m not sure if this is extensively applied in Episode stories as well.

2 Likes

I hate it when people steal ideas. It really doesn’t make you an author in my opinion.

1 Like