What do you like and dislike about romcoms?

I am writing a romcom on episode but I just want to know what you like and dislike about them just so I make it so people like it!

Also write down some of your favourite romcoms on episode for some inspiration!:heart:

1 Like

I like

How they are sweet and cute, they aren’t really funny. I just like the vibe.

1 Like

it’s gonna be hard to avoid this so I wouldn’t worry too much about it but I dislike how cliche they are. when it’s a insanely beautiful girl meeting an insanely beautiful guy by ‘bumping’ into them and helping each other pick up their books and stuff.
the girl is always awkward and clumsy which is what charms the boy

nevertheless, i always watch romcoms despite the cliches because they can still be good.
if you write it good, then cliches should be fine

3 Likes

Me too! I hate how cliche they can be, like they are all the same!

1 Like

I like the cute side of them and the funny.
I dislike when the rom-com is 90% romance with 10% forced comedy.

A great rom-com story.
Unrequited by @fluffyrice
She has the perfect amount of romance and comedy in her story. It’s a great balance and the comedy feels so natural just as the romance does.

2 Likes

okay a scene I would love would be girl gets a make over and all dawn about how pretty she is. and the love interest(not yet her boyfriend) says she was also was pretty before

2 Likes

I dislike when people in the stories are abusive, and rape is confused with love.

2 Likes

rape is love in the same world. murder is friendship

2 Likes

i dislike romance in general

3 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t involve story creation. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

I like romantic comedies but I def think that the humor brings the love birds together (and makes me, the reader, like them more)

Similar to what’s been said above, I do think the comedy needs to be natural because its… better? Like, idk forced comedy is a bit meh.

4 Likes

I love romcoms that are actually funny, I know its common for romcom writers to get so caught up in the romance aspects of their story that the comedy is barely there sometimes (im guilty of it as well).But I appreciate when they keep a consistent balance between romance and comedy throughout the episodes

4 Likes

What is romcoms anyways?

Within a romantic story I like all the love, the characters fallings for each other, the complications that comes in between then the happy ending and usually finding out where they end up.

I hate all the cleche romance though like being set in a high school and a teenager falling pregnant.

P.S.I’m a romance/drama writer if you ever need any advice on dialogue

1 Like