What do you think about NARRATOR dialogue bubble?

Hey! I’m a new writer on Episode.
I’m still writing my stories and I wanted to ask you if you like some interventions by the narrator or if you prefer more dialogues.
I don’t know, sometimes I’m afraid of having inserted too many narrative parts, more than anything else to better explain the context

1 Like

I think it depends. (worst answer lol, but bear with me)

I’ll admit, many readers dislike when there is too much narration, especially on Episode where you got tools to make them visualise stuff.
Try to look at your narration and wonder if it’s essential that you tell the readers right now. Remember the key rule : show, don’t tell. If it’s context about your characters, the universe they’re in, etc. then let your readers find out by themselves, show them through interactions and dialogue.
If your narration is just “This is my best friend, I’ve know her for years” ; “I’m 17, my mum died when I was an infant” ; or stuff like that, cut it. It’s not very engaging to read about it, rather than finding out about it through dialogues. Let your readers make their own conclusions.
Now, interventions by the narrator are still okay if you really want to share some information that they need to know right away. Or just to set the mood, if it doesn’t take too long. If you really need to use a lot of narration, find a way to make it visually interesting with stuff happening in the background (and not just a still screen).
I have no idea what your story is about or what’s your narration like so I don’t know if those advices helped in your case, but I hope it did. Good luck with your story !

2 Likes

Only if it’s necessary. I find it acceptable to describe feelings (just using a few lines) or to narrate an event quickly, but I’d keep narration to a minimum since Episode is definitely a “show, don’t tell” kind of platform. No more than 4-5 lines every now and then is my recommendation, and I’d make sure there’s some “movement” happening. If you’re narrating and characters have no reason at all to be moving, then I’d consider keeping that narration as short as possible, removing it entirely, or maybe combine both “show and tell” for a moment.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion! @MaePisode @Jarec

I quite like them as long as they’re not too long (maybe 5-10 lines that aren’t paragraphs but actually lines) and used sparingly

For me they do have a huge impact when trying to convey what the character is feeling in certain parts of the story but I would say try to keep it as short and to the point as much as possible with something else happening in the background :two_hearts:

1 Like

It really depends on the story and the story style. Some stories benefit greatly by having narrator interjections (like comedies). Although generally I think it’s its better to show through actions and dialogue rather than descriptions. Kinda the same with movie narration. It has been used very cleverly in a lot of movies but in turn a lot of movies don’t have any narration at all. In summary i guess I like the use of narrations when done well or creatively or even to describe an action you can’t show with episodes limitations, but i don’t like the author telling me about characters and places those are things that i should learn through the story and plot

Edit: i would also argue that some genres narration is pretty crucial to like film noir, or teenage girl coming of age stories like obviously you can do those genres without narration but they are a staple of those genres it just really depends on the style and genre

1 Like

I like narrations if they’re 1) by the character(s) or without a “NARRATOR” title on the bubble 2) relevant to the scene 3) written well 4) not too long, not too short 5) eloquent and/or realistic because I’m not really a fan of exaggerated purple prose and 6) not in the way of the character’s face…

1 Like

Thank you so much for replying! Thanks to your opinions I have clearer ideas! :hearts:
@Evilyn @casuallylaughs @schittwriter

2 Likes