What do you wear in China?

I have a character, she’s white and was raised in America for 5 years but she got adopted at 5 and was taken from the orphanage and was taken back to China with her new parents.

Just one question, What do you wear in China?
As an American i don’t know.
Do you dress casually or traditionally?

She goes back to America when she’s older but that’s only because her life sucked in China and she had a bad past she wanted to forget, and she was going to collage there, too, so, against her mother’s feelings, she left for her old home.

This is the story I’m trying to make that it’s for: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/6709137689870336
This is for the second episode as it focuses on the time after she got adopted and before she left for America and was a child. and the first episode is available to read, the second one has a lock on it for anyone wondering, don’t ask how it got published.

They just wear casual clothes :thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t live in China, but I live in Hong Kong.
I can tell you that China has a lot of western influence and that no, for normal people, you don’t go outside wearing Chinese traditional clothing. If you’re leaning towards the rich, they usually indulge in expensive items and are huge social media people, and they wear a lot of expensive clothing.
However, on the lower class side, I think you would still occasionally wear traditional clothing?
I’m not really sure, I haven’t been to China much, but it depends on the area.
Shanghai- bustling cities, and people definitely wear casual clothes.
Hope it helps!

6 Likes

Clothes.
You wear clothes.

Nearly every part of the world is Westernised (Asia Europe Africa etc) due to Globalisation. Everyday life people wear normal clothes…t shirts etc. Yeah the rich maybe expensive clothing. Only culture events like Chinese New Year then you see traditional clothing like the Cheongsam etc etc. But even now sadly as the years pass, less and less people would wear their traditional clothing and prefer just normal western clothes even in their Chinese New Year. Its sad abit cause we are now leaning towards a homogenous culture instead of celebrating diversity of our own distinct cultures.

But depnds on your story’s timeframe too. The start of the 21st century in the year 2000, these things are slowly emerging. If you want 1999 and below during our parents and grandparents age, esp grandparents, they would wear traditional clothing.

Im from Singapore where 70% is Chinese people 20% Malay people 10 % Indian people. Lots of China nationals migrate here too. #Singapore is Not in China😁

3 Likes

Moved to General Chat since this is mainly about a non-Episode-related topic. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.