What does episode mean by crossovers?

I know what crossovers generally mean but what does episode mean by them? I read in a topic that crossovers aren’t allowed. Anyone got an idea?

4 Likes

My first thought is a bag but I’m probably wrong

crossovers are when two stories combine for an episode (or two). for example, if the authors of “attracted to the nerd” & “the new girl” decided to pick an episode where the main characters all meet up and have a sleepover . i hope that makes sense!

4 Likes

Ohh, I see. Thank you!
But I heard it’s against the community guidelines now :eyes: I wonder why.
Does this go for authors as well? For example, if I wanted to feature my friend in a story and I had her permission. Is that okay?

3 Likes

hmm…i don’t think so. but here’s something i found about the crossover guidelines!

4 Likes

Yes, I saw that thread and that’s what led me to create this topic :sweat_smile:
I wanted to include the MC’s of other stories in my story because this a good way to promote a lot of author’s works and I’ve seen it in quite a lot of shows, which I found amusing. I had gotten permission from a lot of people in one of my topics to use their characters as well! And my friend was okay with me using her character (not the MC) I thought it was okay to do crossovers, haha :sweat_smile:

Anyways, thank you so much for your help!! :heart:

2 Likes

that’s great! in the thread they say “banning” for crossovers is the last thing they would do, and they don’t search for crossovers. i don’t see the harm in you doing so :]

2 Likes

Ohh, tysm! :heart:

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this isn’t about coding. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

They mean that authors cannot add characters that have been developed, published and belong to other authors. Those characters have specific appearances, personalities, development, experiences etc that make them the characters that they are and they are owned by their respective authors.

You can add characters to your story that have not been published and developed by another author, for example, a background character that another author has provided for you to use, but does not have an existing personality, style, past, etc. Something more of a template rather than an already fleshed out character that has appeared in a story owned by someone else.

I hope all of that makes sense ‘cause my brightness is low and I’m tired… 🥲

2 Likes

Thank you! :heart:

1 Like
  1. Make sure the characters who you’re adapting into your story via crossovers don’t get as much screen time as your og characters.
  2. You may do crossovers with stories you own completely/partially (collab counts) but if it’s other people’s individual work, ask for their permission before adapting them into your story. The original author must know that your intentions with their characters aren’t bad.
    It’s best if you do this with your friend mutually. And credit them. Always.
  3. Make sure the crossover characters can be removed from the story completely and it doesn’t affect your plot at all. If it does, you should give them little to no importance to the story.

Conclusion: you can do crossovers with conditions. Not recommended if your adapted characters belong to an author you’re not quite familiar with, but if they’re your friend, ask for their permission.

4 Likes

I’ve seen many popular stories have crossovers and I wonder why they haven’t gotten in trouble.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen a really popular story with 1M reads have a crossover. I guess it only applies to current stories?

1 Like

Thank you so much! Yep, I did ask for permission and they agreed, and I have no ill intentions. Thank you so much, this definitely made things clearer!

1 Like

As long as the featured characters don’t have much screen time in comparison to the OG characters created by the author. featuring one external character in one episode from other stories in a 60-episode long story is fine. However, it’s also important that the original creator acknowledges, understands, and allows the said author to adapt his/her characters in the said author’s story (stories not recommended unless the two are co-authoring).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.