What Happens To Stories When They Are Featured On Shelves

Yeah, u could try. Even for the sake of the experiment ^^

1 Like

The All Able shelf was actually the other one besides BHM that I was thinking about. I agree with what you said and @Caitoriri’s posts seem reasonable too. I really think that this depends on the theme of the shelf and the genre, yes. Seems like if you don’t have some romance in the first 2 chapters, people will not continue reading your story. And I assume that readers are still biased by the reads, so if you start off with a very few reads they are not even interested to give your story a try :confused:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it might seem like here in the forums community, we are all very supportive of one another and can appreciate stories that have slow burn romances (i.e. stories with love interests that take time to develop as they’re main genre takes the forefront) or even no romance at all. But the majority of the app is full of people who are just readers and they don’t even know the forums exist. Maybe the majority of them like drama and romance, so that’s why it always does better. Or maybe the majority of them pick the stories they read based on how many people are already reading it? If something has 1 million reads, it’s only natural to assume it would be better than one with 30 reads. They wouldn’t care whether one has been out for a year and the other only a day, for example.
But it’s a lot of hypotheticals…

6 Likes

You know this kinda makes me sad, especially now that I started reading these trending stories with millions of reads and like 80% of them is pure trash. I want to think that people keep reading them because they are lazy to look for something better, but then I don’t understand why they don’t try new stories when they finally become visible on a weekly shelf.

6 Likes

Cause majority seem to be around 13-15, prob. People just can’t chew a plot, that is more complex than a sloppy love triangle with bad boy and a nerd.

I have a friend here (won’t say the name :smiley: but she knows), that has a popular story with hundreds of thousands of reads on one of her stories, and she honestly said, that the story is pure trash and made solely to get the most reads.

U can try and go with the interesting plot writing, complex characters and epic directing, but at the end most likely this majority won’t care.

3 Likes

Mhmmm. I’m with you there. Idk what else I can add. Younger readers don’t think in the same way that you or I or the majority of the forums do. They really will base what the read off of things like that. I’ve seen people even admit to “being like that when the first got episode” lol

2 Likes

Haha when @fcukforcookies mentioned “she has a friend” I knew it was you because I noticed you have this new story because I’m such a stalker but I haven’t read it yet, should I? :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m sorry if I made you feel this way, @fcukforcookies said it was trash, I didn’t say anything :laughing: If it has your humour, I don’t think it can be that bad :wink:

2 Likes

I personally don’t think it’s trash after reading. That’s what @Mehasels said :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I didn’t got to that part, but I will agree. Queen is life. :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Standards

1 Like

I have a few theories. It could be the cover, description, or genre. Some stories are more appealing to some people than others.

It’s kind of like Caitoriri said, shelves can be a boost for reads but some stories are just not going to be a hit with a ton of readers.

5 Likes

@Annieways I thought of another factor last night when I slept that I’m almost ashamed to admit that I think plays a huge roll: CC. There’s three stories I can think of from the top of my head that didn’t get to 10k when they were featured and all three had no CC

8 Likes

:astonished: Weird, I don’t really care about CC but I always add it to my stories because I thought it was important to many readers, but I never thought it was THAT important. I’m shocked.

3 Likes

Well, there are lots of people who say they won’t read a story without CC, but there aren’t too many that won’t read a story for having CC. If people don’t like CC they just go with the author’s default look. I think it’s stupid, but it makes sense. Imagine a shelf for non-CC stories lol

6 Likes

So I’m gonna share my shelf experiences on here, since I’ve been featured three times and each of them was totally different :'D

My first shelf was editor’s picks - my featured story was a romantic comedy with 8 published episodes at the time and did very well - I gained 110k reads within a week. There were 5 other stories on that shelf.

Then, I got on a theme shelf - the “LOL” shelf, to be exact - story that was featured this time was not romance, more like a dramedy, and only had 4 episodes - and I only gained about 20k reads during that week. There were 5 other stories on that shelf.

And lastly, I won the Fantastical contest with a completed, 3 episodes long short story and even though it was featured for almost two weeks, it barely got any reads compared to my other two stories - about 9k throughout its entire time on the shelf. There were 8 other stories on that shelf.

All my stories offer full CC, so this was definitely not an issue. However, it’s not hard to notice that the only story that did very well during its 5 minutes was focused on romance :laughing: The “LOL” shelf one has the keyword “bad boy” in the title, so maybe that’s the reason it got 20k instead of 1k (lol), but still I’m pretty sure that episode readers would rather read about teenage bad boys, not 40-year-olds :smiley: And the Fantastical winner didn’t suggest neither romance nor bad boys in its description - so maybe that’s why it did as badly as it did.

10 Likes

And now I have no doubt in my mind that genre plays a role :laughing: Thank you for sharing your experiences!

4 Likes

Well f*** me. Guess I’ll quit while I’m already behind.

As if

4 Likes

Every shelf there’s usually one or two stories that do super well and one or two that don’t as well.
I think at the end of the day, it comes down to what the core audience likes (so… lots of romance and steam lol). I honestly can usually make some predictions on how stories will perform just off the cover and description (although I’ve been surprised before).

I’ve been on 6 shelves (4 contest) and I think the shelf that did best as a whole was the Thriller contest one (my story gained the least amount of reads while on the shelf, but it still did pretty well IMO) which kind of surprised me as that genre isn’t that popular.

4 Likes

Same, my most popular story was my Thriller contest story.

But then again, when I was on Hidden Gems shelf, my mystery story really took off which shocked me because I didn’t think it was a popular genre. Maybe it was the description?

I have no idea lmaoo

2 Likes