What has this community become?

Hope Moon

1 Like

How many authors are doing this now!? I’ve only heard of one I think. :flushed:

I agree that it’s definitely ridiculous for a “big” author to set such prices even if we disregard the worth of a 24-hour story, but as others have said above, I think that we can only try to promote support within the Episode community. After all, they have the right to set these prices (regardless of whether we agree or disagree on it) and the decision to use that money is based on the person who sees that as something worth. I did not know this issue previously, so I don’t know who actually pays for this, but I would assume it’s not that many- at the same time, I can also imagine people doing that. I think it’s good that we can see that paying this amount of money for a story/post shoutout isn’t worth it as it diminishes the worth set by authors. I perhaps don’t have such a well-rounded view on this issue, but you definitely brought up some good points.

1 Like

Letting reader pay for a shoutout?

Uh - that’s stupid. Especially during these times man, I’d be out running. Ain’t no one getting ma money.

For a dang SHOUTOUT?

Are you kidding me?

Disgusting

Ugh my head hurts from processing that.

At this point do they care about the readers or money?

It’s really disgusting especially them not asking your age (what if the one who asked were young authors?) asking money for promoting your story just because you’re a BIG (popular) author.
But it’s actually reasonable if you think it in a business way, you do need to pay for someone famous (or sponsor them with your product to) promote your product (to get more recognition). So, a lot of people would buy it because a famous person used it.
So, you can say it is both good and bad for the promotion thing.

2 Likes

Perhaps like what happened later on YT and social media after many complaints, people who do this should tag a “paid promotion” on their posts. And some kind of age verification. Plus there should be some kind of proof they actually did read the story. I mean, how do you know what kinds of stories you are even promoting?

I emailed that girl to see how much money she takes, it’s 35 dollars for a 24 hours shout-out. I think it’s really fake and stupid to do shoutout for money. It’s because she didn’t really like the story or anything she’s getting paid. In terms of business- it’s smart. And it’s a way to take money, if it was any other platform it was okay. But episode is a community, and we support each other and we read each other stories because we enjoy them not because we get 35$. It’s people’s right to pay for it if they want but in my opinion it’s just not worth it. If you’re already spending money on episode in 35$ you can buy a really well quality art scene and promote your story & help the artist, and you can also buy gems 🤷

2 Likes

Exactly, if I want my story to get viral, I want people to be reading it cause they want, not just cause I pay then or cause people are going to read it cause someone tell them. I want my readers to enjoy my story…

If you’re exploiting underage kids - and aren’t checking their ages then I agree this is completely wrong. However, if you’re over 18 falling for this obvious scam then that’s your own fault to be honest. It is morally questionable on their part, but they’ve found a way to make money and paid shout-outs aren’t illegal. And hey, if the traffic diverted to your story likes what you have to offer then it can even work out in the end when it converts to readers ?

1 Like

Scam, I don’t know who would be unreasonable enough to agree paying 35$ for a cheap shoutout on Instagram or something, it’s sad how promoting each other’s stories used to be free and for a good cause. This ain’t a Charli D’Amelio meet and greet.

2 Likes

I personally don’t think paid promotions even work lol, especially if the shoutout is only for 24 hours. As someone who uses Instagram a lot I very rarely go to external links that people recommend or swipe up on their stories, I think that’s the case for most people, we just flick through people’s stories :face_with_head_bandage: I think it’s very sad that people under 18 are paying for this thinking it will get them clout, most ppl under 18 don’t even work and have to get money from their parents, but if you’re over 18, I guess you should know better, paying 50 dollars for probably only a handful of people to check your story out is totally not worth it

I don’t click the them often either, but there is this one author who even share results and make it all about her🤦🏽‍♀️

1 Like

Hope moon does :woman_facepalming:t4:

I’ve seen that, I think its totally misleading, because it makes someone think all reads were result of the promo, when many other people who hadn’t seen her story could have read it :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

She turn this community into some kind of business and contest, and it is disgusting and heartbreaking in my eyes :weary::weary:

1 Like

I love her stories but I don’t rate that she is taking advantage of people during the corona virus… a time where EVERYBODY is struggling with money imo

2 Likes

Yes😩

1 Like

It is true, I have seen it and have a proof for promoting of the payment and know people one author have done it for :weary:

I used to read her stories, but I won’t support her anymore :mask:

2 Likes

It’s Hope Moon… I’m not aware of other authors that are doing this

1 Like