What is a good amount of gems to use for a choice

I have noticed many choices use gems to be unlocked. Like some amounts of gems used are quite large and some are small to make that choice happen. I’m thinking about possibly adding some gem choices to my first episode in my story. But I don’t know what a good amount would be.

Also if I do test these choices in the Episode app will it cost me the amount of gems I have set for the choice?

2 Likes

less than 5

2 Likes

I would say 5. And I personally wouldn’t put any in the first episode of your story, but that’s entirely up to you.

4 Likes

When you test it, it should NOT deplete your gems.

Regarding how many to put, I put a max of 12 on major major benefits (I think I only used this 2 times over the course of 10 episodes) and the rest are 5 (maxing point categories, minor plot altercations throughout the episode, etc).

The community is kinda… split on gems still I feel. I personally have never gotten a complaint on my gem usage (just lots of wHeN wIlL yOu UpDaTe? Cuz I take like 2 months Lol :joy:) but I have had more people tell me they aren’t bothered by my gem choices, so take that as you will :joy: I’m sure someone is angry about them but yah can’t please everyone :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I would say less than 5 for sure . A lot of people are broke and rarely get gems .

3 Likes

Hey! So on average it really just depends on the length of the bonus scene and if the contest is something you deem interesting.
Typically if it’s going to be short and at a level of meh-interesting I would say make the choice 5 gems. If it’s long and really interesting I would say 12 gems!
If it’s like a bonus outfit I would probably say about 5 or 8 gems (8 gems if it unlocks a bonus convo).

Also, because gems are a touchy issue I would say do a max of 3 gem choices, but even that’s pushing it.

If you view this in your portal it will not deplete gems

3 Likes

You can’t actually have a gem choice that costs less than 5 gems. The lowest is 5.

2 Likes

Oh… Dang

Then I would do either 5 for a special art Scene but other than that I wouldn’t do a gem choice . Maybe supporting at the end but something where people won’t need to be forced into choosing a gem choice . Like how it’s either you get a sh***y dress ( for free ) or a nice dress ( but costs gems ) .

3 Likes

I think you’re thinking of Episode originals/featured stories.
Most community authors that add gem choices don’t do this. They will add gem choices to unlock a bonus scene that is interesting but not needed to understand the plot.

I completely understand the dislike for gem choices, but they are something that authors have to accept at this point. If an author wasn’t to even attempt unlocking the writer’s payment option they have to add gem choices because that’s one of the requirements to unlock them now,

3 Likes

thats me!!

1 Like

I would say 5-12 gems on an average, that’s the range most people are willing to pay for (like me) as I don’t like spending gems. I don’t have many. But I am willing to pay for supporting the author (5-8 gems on that max unless I really love the episode/story). It honestly depends on what it is. If it’s an outfit that doesn’t change the plot much, I suggest putting lesser gems as not everyone can afford a , like 35 gem dress to get 1 romance point or something. You could maybe let the reader have the option if they have a certain amount of points they can unlock a scene or outfit choice so it’s more fair. To let readers get used to gem choices, I think (but that’s just my opinion, you can do whatever you’d like!) you can put support-the-author at the end of the episode just for the first few episodes and afterwards put a few more. 2-3 gem choices per episode is more than enough though! Like I said, it all depends on who you’re asking. Personally I feel that if the choice doesn’t give me something great that affects the plot a lot I 'm not willing to pay the gems unless I really like it or something. Some people are fine with it, so yeah, it depends on you :slight_smile: I would recommend 5-12 gems range.

1 Like

Genuine question, would you still unlock the writers payment by just adding at the end the ‘support me’ option with different amount choices? Or does that not count

Back when this was newly introduced and they’d first changed the requirements from 300 gems to 50K gems… I thought it’d be impossible because I only had the “support the author” option in one of my stories. But weirdly, despite adding no gem choices within my story I still managed to get over 70K gems spent on my story within 60 days… and I still manage to reach that now, too.

So yes, it would be possible… so long as you also reach the 100K reads in 60 days.

1 Like

it count. but lets say you only give 5 gem option for. that 10000 times it has to be picked, in 60 days,

my story which I released over a year ago has 33.658 reads and 5.496 gems earn, for all the time it has been out

I am not saying its impossible, I am just saying it might as well be.

how,

Like i legit wanna know how people do that, I feel I put so much work into my story and only got a couple of hundred reads when I post a new chapter.

My “support the author” choices at that time were as follows:

NARRATOR:
As gems now determine where a story ranks, are you able to help a girl out?!

choice
GEMS:5“Sure, I can help a little.”{

My thank you message went here.

}GEMS:12“I love your story, I can help even more.”{

}GEMS:17“I adore this story, I can help a lot.”{

}

I think a lot of them must’ve picked one of the more expensive “support the author” options. And I’ll be honest, I think it’s because they knew how hard I’d worked and how much sleep I’d lost in order to gain my #1 position, that they didn’t wanna see me lose it because of the new system. [Because way before gems even played a part in the ranking, I was able to hold #1 solidly for months, not even authors with ten times the reads that I had, could shift my story out. But of course the gem system changed all of that. However, thanks to my readers and their loyalty… the only time when I really get out of #1 spot now, is when another story in the same genre as mine either wins a contest or gains a spot on a shelf… which obviously happens since those stories will be seen by a larger audience. But once the shelf is down, I land back in #1 again… and I honestly do think that it’s all down to my amazing readers.]

1 Like

Ohhhh that makes sense! Thankyou! :blob_hearts:

1 Like

Here’s a gem choice guide by Episode, they break it down to what is advisable for each gem amount :blush:

1 Like