What is the meaning of Queer?

the title self explanatory…idk the meaning and wanna know and understand as my friend suggested to add a queer character in my story…so pls help :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

This may be wrong, (I got this from google, and google is not always reliable)

Queer is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities who are not heterosexual or are not cisgender. Originally meaning “strange” or “peculiar”, queer came to be used pejoratively against those with same-sex desires or relationships in the late 19th century.

Me:

Cisgender means transgender

From that paragraph above, I think what queer is, is that they don’t have pronouns they are just them selves, yk what I mean? They don’t see them selves as to have a gender, they are simply them

Again I may be wrong bc I don’t really understand what queer means, school don’t teach crap about this stuff which they really should

5 Likes

i kida understand but not fully??? sorry!!

2 Likes

I edited it. Look back please

4 Likes

ohhhhhhhh ok ty!!!..yea school doesn’t teach anything about this…

3 Likes

Cisgender doesn’t mean trans it means the exact opposite.

It is a slur to separate people who are part of the LQBTQ+ community and people who aren’t. As it was seen as weird and disgusting (still is to a lot of people) but I believe it is a reclaimed slur to only be used by members of the community. Any information I have on the word queer was found in I thread I will link here.

https://forums.episodeinteractive.com/t/lets-talk-about-the-queer-contest/402318?u=bakedpotato

This will give you a better explanation of the word.

But basically your friend is saying you should add a character that is part of the LGBTQ+ community. I would only do this if you actually want to add the character because nobody wants fake representation. If you are do research on the community so you know what you should avoid if don’t want to p*ss people off.

11 Likes

Queer is like an umbrella term for people in the LGBTQ+ community, I currently use the label queer because I know I like girls…and idk if i like boys, so it’s kind of a way to label yourself when you are still figuring yourself out, but the word should only really be used by people in the LGBTQ+ community :)) its kind of hard to explain though :skull:

7 Likes

There is nothing more headbanging inducing than performative :air_quotes: diversity :air_quotes:. This is coming from a Black, Bisexual Christian Cisgender woman.

If it’s not authentic, then I would ask yourself what it is that you are trying to say in your work because if you add minorities to your story, itll be easier to fall into the stereotype tropes that come with that group of people…

5 Likes

oh ok!! under stood!!! tysm yall!!!

1 Like

Crap I’m sorry, I really don’t mean to offend anyone. I’m trying to know more about it, but research can only go so far, and more than half of it is wrong

2 Likes

i am actually putting a queer character on my new story! im not lying!..i did not know the meaning fully so i asked yall!!!..my latest stories also have an lgbtq version also!!!

2 Likes

No, it is ok I just wanted to correct you so you know for next time. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Cisgender means feeling the same gender as your sex at birth

4 Likes

Yeah, we should all think of our characters as people.

3 Likes

oh wait no!! im not going to do it like that …in my script randomly it mentions she is queer…she is not going to introduce that “hi im queer” sort of way…im going to introduce the new character in my new episod but not going to rush the facj she is queer

3 Likes

That’s usually the best way to go about it. We’re people too. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Also if you’re not LGBT+ I’d avoid using the word queer to describe your characters.

6 Likes

Oh ok then

I definitely agree that queer shouldn’t be used by those outside of the lgbtq+ community.
Someone may identify as queer though when they know they’re a part of the community but are still unsure of how they identify.
I’m definitely open to answering any questions you have about your character! I’m trans nonbinary and use they / them pronouns.

1 Like

Bump