What is with this obsession?

Trust me, I wanna see that too.

2 Likes

It’s probably because “quirky” young girls who read episode like thrilling bad boys. And the shy gullible girl who falls for the mafia leader is very similar to the girls reading these stories. Yes it’s disgusting because it means they will let their partner off with a lot because thats what it was like in a episode story so it must be “normal”. But i guess its a cliche that does well :woman_shrugging:t6:

4 Likes

“Strong female characters” should be female characters with strong character development. Too often they are just as Mary Sue-ish as the damsel in distress characters. They can “keep up with the boys” and do things like roll their eyes and say “whatever,” but those are pretty cheap ways of suggesting “strength.” Shy characters can still be complex and even strong. So I definitely agree with you, but I also find it tiresome when MC’s are constantly in need of rescuing by some bad boy who treats her like garbage until it suits him to be decent.

I wish more people focused on developing nuanced characters first and then let the romance stem realistically from that. Instead I think the issue might be prioritizing the contrived romantic drama and just letting the cardboard Mary Sue do whatever works best for reader projection from scenario to scenario.

MC is mad at the LI for some petty jealous reason so she gets drunk at a party and LI proves what a nice guy he actually is by taking a break from vague gang business to carry her home. That’s could be one of 100+ Episode MCs. What drives her? Does she care about anything other than the fact she thinks she saw LI kissing some other girl? What makes her psychologically real? If her only objective is “hot dude” and her only obstacle is “he’s a scary jerk (but even that’s kind of hot),” I’m not going to care, and if that’s the only source of the tension between the two leads, I’m definitely not reading it.

That does seem to be enough of a draw for a lot of people. I guess everyone’s different.

15 Likes

This is literally the best idea I’ve heard in a while :joy:

6 Likes

Its a wonder all these authors aren’t suing each other for copyright breaking or plagiarism of their stories and sh*t.

Like, the plots of their stories are so synonymous with each other… its just so sad to know that these famous authors lack in creativity. I mean, don’t you think we should come up with something new other than copying the same thing every time? Ahem, ahem, MissMj and LadyDianna

8 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is about Episode stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

yes episode romanticises everything, i mean, mafia gang leaders are essentially murderers, but episode turns it into some sexy fantasy and honestly i just don’t get it. like i understand everyone has different types of stories their interested in and no i don’t think that people shouldn’t write these stories if they want, i just think that other stories that aren’t focused on a bad guy and innocent girl should be brought forward. becuase whenever i’m looking for a story, the descriptions are all VERY similar. even the thumbnails are close in appearance.

6 Likes

yes absolutely. it’s so unrealistic. it always starts with a nerdy shy girl who gets noticed by the popular guy and they fall in love and get married.

4 Likes

yes i feel as though each main character and love interest in ever story are exactly the same. they all act the same way. whereas if you read a book, each character is it’s own person, it’s like you know them. but when i’m reading episode stories it feels like the same two people put in slightly different scenarios.

and as for a powerful female lead, i’m not talking about a girl that just slaps the guy for no reason, or is rude to him, that isn’t empowering that’s just being plain rude.

i’m talking about a main lead who doesn’t fall head over heals over the first guy she meets, and when he first appears in the episode there isn’t a whole paragraph on how hot he is. i actually love stories where none of it is centred around each other’s appearances. i hate reading a story and the MC just talks about how hot and sexy someone is and gets so flustered looking at him. because in real life, if you saw someone that sexy you’d probably just think “hmm he’s fit” then move on with your life.

5 Likes

Honestly it would help stories with originality get the attention they deserve!

5 Likes

I cried :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Like, don’t get me wrong i like a bit of romance in the stories i read. Like the books i read, the Slated trilogy and the Contagion trilogy (if you’ve heard of them). One is about an antimatter virus taking over the UK and one is about a future where people’s minds are wiped- yet they always include a bit of romance around characters, but the whole book isn’t focused on that. I wish people wrote episode stories more like books, because right now they kind of remind me of fam fiction and i cringe with almost every story i read.

4 Likes

i feel as though when some people write an episode story they just get so excited to get the romance started and forget to actually thoroughly create their characters. i feel like whenever i start an episode, the first thing that happens is you create yourself and your LI, without even knowing anything about them. and the whole story is about how they act around each other. never acting as a character themselves if you get me?

6 Likes

The best story that i have read with its main focus not being romance, is Galactic Game by Lucky. It’s honestly great.

1 Like

Mafia stories and bad boy stories have always been a thing tbh. All I want is my deep compelling characters with heart wrenching angst god damnit.

I think that most authors write stories like that because 1) it’s easy and 2) it “sells”.
You don’t need to think about any of the character’s traits when writing such a story because you already know that the target audience ( some weird teenagers) wants a “weak” girl and a “hot” guy. You only have to add some kissing and making out and the readers will like it even when the guy doesn’t treat the MC right. They just don’t care as long as the guy is hot and rich, I guess.
I’m actually thinking about adding a bad boy as a “LI” in a story I’m working on and instead of falling for him the MC will call him out for his behaviour because I’m very annoyed by these bad boy and mafia clichés and maybe the people will start to think about how wrong these romance stories are.

2 Likes

Exactly what i’ve been trying to say, but in much better words. Thankyou!! I guess it’s the same with the media- Sex sells. And unfortunately, rude, hot, dangerous boys chased by innocent girls who usually haven’t ‘had their first kiss’ is the trending topic on episode. I guess it’s because that’s the type of content that gives younger, impressionable teenagers butterflies and makes them swoon over. I, as a 17 teen year old would rather read a story with a real plot and story line. I feel as though most episode stories look like the writer has just written it as they go a long and not really thought through it first.

It is true that these types of stories are easy to write and for some reason very popular, and a lot of the time the writers are good at what they are writing. Very punctual and write as if it were a book, it’s the content that just doesn’t fit. If only these talented writers could write something unique, and different, and take their time to write a really good, gripping story, rather than following the cliché

1 Like

This.

3 Likes

:clapping:

2 Likes

I agree with all of you. I personally want a story that is based on how we act in real life, not who we act like in our fantasies. In real life, you could fall in love with a mafia leader (or be totally terrified of him), but he more than likely won’t like you and will just kill you. And normally, the “bad boy” won’t fall for a “nerd”, he’ll fall for some other rich girl or is gay. Episode is more of a way for people (authors) to express how they want their life to be. Not how they are. Episode reflects on dreams, not reality which (not to be selfish or anything) kinda bugs me.

5 Likes