What is Your way of coding?

In my ideal world:

• First start with broad outline of the whole story
• Then more detailed outline for the next 2-3 chapters I’m working on (usually write this out on paper)
• Then write+finalize dialogue in Google Docs
• At the same time, choose bgs and start thinking about/creating the overlays+bgs I need
• Put dialogue into donacode, start putting animations
• Upload the overlays and bgs so that they are approved while I am working on advanced directing
• Meticulously direct everything
• It’s done! The perfect episode!

In reality:

• Have a vague idea of where the story goes, which gives me undeserved confidence
• My “detailed outline” ends up being madman chickenscratch I scribbled at 2AM
• Write the script directly in donacode cuz ain’t nobody got time for that
• Start adding animations immediately, then realize the dialogue needs to be revised and so the animations do too, Thus wasting time
• While directing, I realize the scene doesn’t make any sense without an overlay I forgot to take into account. Oops. So add an extra few days before it can be approved.
• Spend 10 minutes on every speech bubble placement (very important step)
• Actually now that I think about it, this scene I envisioned for the next episode makes more sense to put in this episode. Let’s add more work!
• At the very end I realize I forgot to draw my chapter cover. Cool. Extra few days then.

… All this while also procrastinating between each step. :joy: Oops. A miracle I get things done tbh

3 Likes

This is amazing :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: So true tho. I’ve totally ditched on placing those speech bubbles, it’s too much time to fix it so they’re just kinda everywhere :joy::joy: All those ideas come when it’s super early in the morning and you’ve been messing around with storylines and you feel like “yaas! I’m gonna make this into an epic episode story!” :crazy_face: For me its like that but then it usually flops haha. Writing episode it hard work I tell ya, u probs can agree :no_mouth::expressionless::sweat_smile::hot_face:

1 Like

hdafhsk Episode is really so dang hard :hot_face::hot_face::hot_face:

1 Like

Hi Everyone! I have read this discussion post and I’ve noticed that a lot of you have great experience in coding. I am very new to Episodes and their forums. I have a lot of ideas for stories but unfortunately I do not know how to code. I would love if someone were to help me to create my first story here on Episode! If you are interested PM me for more info! Thanks! -LoveDeeDee

2 Likes

I’ll teach you how to code, if you’d like. :wink: Also, welcome!

I literally just wing everything. Basically go with the flow… then delete and recode everything again since I’m not satisfied with it.

I have the idea, but it just takes time to code advanced directing, which I usually don’t have the time for (unfortunately).

1 Like

Good luck with your future stories, people here would love to help you along the way :facepunch::fire::star2:

Oof. Yeah heaps of time goes into coding :sleepy:

1 Like

I usually just write everything out of my mind as a coding (I never think about what’ll happen before I start coding.) I just start coding while remembering what happened in the last episodes, at first I code everything, if I have new characters then I do them, then if I wanna use zooming or something then I do it next, then I add music. If I have an art scene then I do it/add it.

2 Likes

Aaah okay, so do you come up with the story as you code or do you have a rough outline of the plot or even a detailed one? I do the same as you, but have a rough outline of the story so I dont get confused or waste hours of coding.

Well I have a rough outline. Like I have an idea of what I want to happen in that episode, then I just start to code it and then the scenes just come out there as I code.

1 Like

I do it all at once. I tack each spot and set it up where they should then add what they’re saying and what they should be doing and any zooms from that character then if need others I add them and do each step before moving on. If I need music for the scene I add it before the scene starts. If I need overlays I add them to my background then add then move them around where I need them and add if they need to be seen or not at first. If they are not seen at first then I just add in when they should show up when it comes to that spot lol. I feel my way tacks me longer but I have tried other ways and I just can’t do it because I’ll forget things.

1 Like

When I first started I just jumped right in and started coding everything. I placed characters when need be and wrote dialog where it was needed. Now I’m planning chapters and working on a new strategy, but I have no idea how people write dialog or something first without being lost.

1 Like

I bullet point each chapter beforehand. I set the scene using basic screen spots then I spot direct. I write the dialog with animations as I go, after each scene I add zooms. When I’m happy with the whole episode I then sit and spend an evening directing every speechbubble, add music and fix any errors/add more stuff and then I publish before I decide to tweak anymore :joy:

3 Likes

Haha good that you’re trying a different approach. Yeah I find that too, just write dialogue as I code.

1 Like

Oh wow! You’ve got it all sorted hey :joy: Props to you for directing each speech bubble. I hardly change them and now they’re just everywhere :flushed:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.