What Kind of Episode Story Would You Like to See?

Hey, I have just finished the first season of a mystery I have been writing and would like to write something fresh and new before returning with season 2, so I’m just wondering what audiences are interested in.
Feel free to complete the polls, or reply below if you think I have missed (or would like to suggest) something you feel I have forgotten or could add.

What do you look for in an Episode Story (most important)?

• Relatable and realistic Characters
  • Romance
  • The coding has to be perfect; use of unique overlays and advanced directing.
  • A plot driven story.

0 voters

Which of these descriptions sound like stories you would be interested in?

• Thriller - An “Escape the Room” inspired story where the reader will need to complete riddles and codes to complete episodes. Characters are minimal. Story is incredibly interactive. Plot entails the reader figuring out who locked them in and why.
  • Horror - The reader chooses one of five seemingly unconnected characters at the beginning to watch how they cope during a zombie outbreak. The story can be replayed with a different character chosen at the beginning to see a completely different experience whilst understanding how each of the five characters are linked to each other and how the outbreak started.
  • Action/Comedy - A superhero themed story following the perspective of the genius sidekick who has to help lead a superhuman and vigilante onto the right path before the world pays the price.
  • Fantasy - A point-system led story following a witch who must make moral choices leading up to their Judgement where they either become a Light Witch or Dark Witch. Do you reveal magic to the world to save it or keep magic hidden despite the consequences? Romance is an underlying theme with two love interests and choices obviously make a difference.
  • Drama - A story following your fully customised character on their rise to fame, following their dream to be a singer, on a TV show competition where each choice is important. Large character list and romance involved should you want to choose it.

0 voters

What style would you like it to be in?

• Limelight
  • INK

0 voters

Would you rather the romance be incorporated into the story or as the main theme?

• Incorporated into a story (so not the main plot/genre of the story);
  • As the main theme.

0 voters

Choices?

• Choices should matter;
  • There should be lots of choices in each episode (5+);
  • I would rather choices mot matter;
  • A few choices in each episode (3-4);
  • One or two choices should be present in each episode;
  • I would rather no choices.

0 voters

Thank you so much; feel free to leave some more suggestions!

1 Like

I really like this one ^^

3 Likes

Here’s an additional poll:
What genre do you tend to read most?

• Romance
  • Drama
  • Hollywood
  • Fantasy
  • Mystery
  • Comedy
  • Action/Adventure
  • Thriller/Horror
  • Editor’s Picks

0 voters

Witch Judgement and Escape the Room sound excellent. :yum: I’d read the zombie one too if I saw it, but are you sure you wanna write 5 interconnected stories in one? Every time they’re in separate locations, the branching would split into at least 2, as many as 5 ways. :weary: Plus, if you can only see into the mind of “your” character, but if the other 4 have different thoughts… I go hard when I branch but I’m not a masochist. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

I agree, the five character one would be incredibly hard, but I do like challenges (saying that, I have just done a mystery where I used constant overlays to produce ghosts and that was tedious) :expressionless: . Basically, at the beginning of the first episode you would choose one character out of five to follow for the whole entire episode story which allows for more character development. Occasionally, during their story, you will cross the characters that you could have chosen until the end when they all join together which is where choices and branching would get complicated. In each episode for each character I am anticipating on having a major choice that will affect the timelines of the other characters whilst the others are smaller. The only way I have figured to work this into the whole ‘replayable’ feature of this kind of story (you can replay a story five times hence why there are five characters) is if I do a small quiz at the beginning asking if you have played the story before and what they chose for the major choices so they have the right gains for the story (which is why I would only do one major choice so that the quiz isn’t too long). I also understand that this means my code for each episode will end up from being 6000 lines in episode 1 to about 20000 lines, but hopefully the effort will be worth it… maybe :thinking:. I don’t know if this makes much sense, but I hope this explains the branching a bit more. I just wanted a story on episode that, if you played it again, it would be completely different.

1 Like

I’ve never have actually read a story in Episode that has to use logic or something connected to codes and riddles and stuff, so I thought it was unique in some way and interesting :3

3 Likes

5-in-1 story including 1 major choice per episode, geez, I’d been anticipating a 5-in-1 story with little or no choices at all. @___@

Tbh I guess it wouldn’t be that much more difficult than one story that’s 5 times as long, like 10 eps of a 5-in-1 story is about equal to 50 eps of a linear story lol. But still. @___@

Good luck with whichever one you choose to make next, though. :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah, that one is my favourite!

2 Likes

Yeah, the biggest problem I would probably have would be making sure they are all connected at the same time in case people decide to play the different stories at the same time. I can’t have one character meet another before the other does otherwise it wouldn’t make much sense. :sweat_smile: I’ll figure it out, but a lot of effort would have to go into it.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah, I thought it would be interesting to use interactive overlays and input directions to create an episode where you have to look for clues to answer riddles and codes whilst still having a point. For example, like how when you go into an escape room, they give you a little bit of story and background to add to the feel of it. At the moment, I have the kind of puzzles like searching a room for clues, reading notes left for you, having keypads and boxes to keys of rooms, and this jigsaw kind of puzzle that you do to find numbers or passwords. I want there to still be a story, but for the reader to interact wholly (I mean, it is Episode Interactive after all) to escape or be locked inside forever.

2 Likes

THIS IS GREAT, I’M GONNA ROOT FOR THIS IF THIS EVER HAPPENS LEL

2 Likes

Escape The Room is so cliche…
Without any storyline…
Nope

1 Like

Do you have any ideas maybe on what I could do next? I’m just pitching in hopes to see what people like.

1 Like

You should watch:
All saw movies
Escape Room

Or go to the:
Escape room

It will get you many.many,many ideas

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you so much for this link; it is very interesting - good read and it will be fun to compare the results I get with these ones in order to get a better understanding of what some people on episode like. Obviously, your sample size is a bit larger and you go into a lot more depth with your answers by asking questions about branching and cut scenes.

1 Like

Has anyone else got any ideas that they want to share or would like to see on Episode?

I really like the ideas that you already have. If you ever publish I’d totally read it. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you so much, that’s encouraging to hear! Do you have a preference out of all the ideas, or just any of them?

1 Like

They are all great ideas and I feel all those genres don’t get a lot of attention but out of all of them I like the escape room one it’s probably the one I’m looking forward to reading and the 2nd is the fantasy story (I love stories that give you an option to be on either side)

2 Likes