What kind of story directing makes you speechless?

It’s the directing and dialogue for me. I love a good story where there’s a decent amount of zooms, flawless transitions, and advanced coding. Im not entirely sure how to describe it…

3 Likes

Aesthetically unique ones (those which look good obviously), and when those stories have smooth direction despite many overlays and effects being used. I’m also a movie buff so I love stories that have very, literally, cinematic direction.

2 Likes

Outside of the general advanced stuff, aesthetics etc. what makes me go “WOW!” is when there is one or multiple scenes totally comprised of animated overlays of characters. Funicidal’s work always wows me, she honestly puts SO much work into everything she does. She makes them breathe, blink, talk, do everything effortlessly smooth. Georgia Sanders’ impressed me with her animated action scenes and Nelly’s work is awesome as well (especially the cool pocket knife rotation and hand movements she did).

3 Likes

Let me show you an example of the coding this author does. Her name is Josie Jackson and her coding is remarkable. HOW DOES SOMEONE KNOW HOW TO DO THAT?

Here’s is a scene which she posted on her Instagram. It’s from her story Second Chance - Hiding the truth. I’m speechless.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJkA1dynTuM/?igshid=1mxva7yfujmec

3 Likes

For me it’s when authors clearly pay attention to detail.

Having characters framed perfectly on the screen, using zooms and careful spot directing to get around animation limits (like zooming in to a character to allow them to have the full range of animations when they’re supposed to be sitting), having background characters in motion with different animations, making sure characters are walking at a normal speed and not just rushing across the screen, etc.

I try really hard to do all of these things because in my opinion it really adds to a story!

3 Likes

Ahh thank you!! Your comments always make me happy when I feel down :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you, everybody, for replying to this topic. I most certainly agree with everything that was written here.

If anybody else would like to write something, feel free :revolving_hearts:ngl I’m still kinda confused about what is considered “good directing” vs “advanced directing”, I get the idea but still not quite.

@thenameisleah I have to agree with you. After the clip, you showed us it is crystal clear that Josie puts an enormous amount of work into the directing. I’m a fan of her work as well!

1 Like

I hope she doesn’t mind me promoting her stuff, but I came across this thread a couple of days ago and was so amazed! I know how long it can take to do stuff like this (from personal experience, it’s exhausting :woozy_face:) so I’ve got lots of respect for her. It’s currently being revamped but she’s got sneak peeks here.

2 Likes

thank you girl!! :two_hearts: this means a world to me :heart:

2 Likes

I have to ask… are you a witch? :see_no_evil: My mind cannot comprehend HOW YOU MADE IT HAPPEN. Like, I know, I get how Episode works but… HOW? :sob:Sis, this is what I call a jaw-dropping moment! My wig flew into the Outerspace and now I’m bald and deeply shook.

1 Like

Oh my god I CAN’T BREATHE- and honestly im no witch but i do spend hours at home lmaoo… thank you for support!!! :heart::heart:

1 Like

Relatable :skull:

No need to thank me! Your work speaks for itself :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Complex overlays. And making certain animations feel natural.

By that I mean that having an animated overlay like fire looks a lot better than some static vector png image.

But what really defines the créme de la créme for me, is using animations and overlays in a way that mimics more realistic movement. We already have x-amount of animations in the “catalogue”, but anyone who’s seen the animations more than a couple of times can recognise by sight what animation is which, and when you’re striving for realism and immersion, thinking “oh, that’s idle_hold_drink” or whatever can mentally take you out of it. But overlays that mimic hugs from behind, or a character drawing knees up to the chest, and such - actions we don’t yet have animations for - really make me take notice, especially if they’re effective and expressive.

1 Like

I’m just asking, but isn’t qu*er a slur?

It is. The whole scene is someone being a bigot about someone’s sexuality. It’s part of the storyline

1 Like

The author is lgbtq right?

Not sure. They could be.

But if they’re not, they seem to have done a lot of research. This is pretty accurate about the type of bigotry and injustice they face. I also saw a post where she said that it was based on a true story about a friend who went through it

well I understand that, but even if they have done research, they definitely shouldn’t be putting slurs in their story (I’m not trying to attack anyone!) it’s also against the guidelines I believe. It should 100% be removed from the story. It doesn’t matter what the context is. It shouldn’t be there. Especially if they cannot reclaim it.

This story was reviewed and it passed. Its even trending. It’s her story and she can write whatever she wants. It’s made clear that using the slur is wrong. You have no right to say what can and can’t go in a story. I say that as a queer person. I can say queer because I reclaimed the slur