What kind of theme shleves would you like to see?

I feel like they are getting a bit repetitive with theme shelves. Or maybe running out of ideas :upside_down_face:. I think there have been 3-4 Hidden Gem shelves this year.

What new themes do you think should be there for stories to get featured on? I personally would love to see a shelf that has “mature” MCs i.e. MCs older than 30 years.

13 Likes

This won’t really answer your question, but I think they are making more hidden gem shelves because this is what the community asked for. Also, I like most of the themes they come out with lately, I’m actually excited about every shelf they are currently working on

16 Likes

agree!

1 Like

I would love to see a shelf for music- based stories. As somebody who is soon to release a story about songwriting high school student (just waiting for backgrounds to be approved) it would be so inspiring and help me to write better stories!!!

4 Likes

I agree it does feel like they’re running out of ideas. More so that they don’t know what they have in mind. Going off a whim. I personally don’t mind seeing a lot of hidden gems shelves, to be fair, it’s actually the only shelf I prefer to see and wait for.

I don’t have an answer for you because I feel like they have made a shelf for just about everything. But, it would be nice to see a ‘mature theme shelf.’ Stories that feature characters over 30 or authors who are over 30. Idk, that would be a nice change.

12 Likes

More stories with sibling themes, family themes, maybe art, music, travel, stories that spread awareness on illnesses or bullying, or pollution, stories with PET themes, etc.

5 Likes

I don’t mind Hidden Gems but I don’t think it’s a “theme”. It’s just stories under 20-30k reads. Theme is based on the content of the story. Besides they can have stories under 30k reads on any theme shelves :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

It’s just that the themes that they have/had now Hot Pursuit, Family, Epy Academy were all there last year as well. I feel like there should be some new themes. This might even encourage people to write different kinds of stories

2 Likes

I’m going to suggest a sci-fi shelf for @Zey :joy:

But in reality I think I just wish the themes were more…specific? For example the most recent one could apply to so many things. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Yeah, I agree with hidden gems not being a theme, but the chances of seeing a story under 30k reads on a shelf are less likely. For that, I’m assuming that’s why there are so many hidden gem shelves.

2 Likes

If they just put more effort into choosing stories that would go the shelf then I’m sure there could be more under 30k stories on regular theme shelves :eyes:

2 Likes

You know me too well :joy:
I would prefer a genre but a shelf is appreciated as well

2 Likes

This is true. I keep seeing so many stories on the comment section for the most recent shelf (Meant to Be?) and so many of them are already: featured, stories on the trending sections, or stories with well over 250000 reads.

1 Like

Yes, you have a point here.
And I agree with this too:

I wouldn’t mind at all if all the shelves would be for hidden gems, but that would probably not work for many different reasons.

Now that @Baleigh_episode mentioned it, I would second a sci-fi shelf too

4 Likes

It’s be nice if they maybe had a quota for smaller stories. If there’s 9 stories on a shelf it’d be nice if at least 4 or 5 of them were stories under 20-30k reads. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

This! I completely and wholeheartedly agree with you. It bothers me when I see one story with under 20-30ks and eight other stories with over 100k reads. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I agree with this, I’m also fine with not-so hidden stories but I really don’t see the need to feature on a shelf a trending story that is in the top 10

3 Likes

Totally! Giving more people a chance to be seen is always a good thing in my books!

This is a big problem I’m noticing with the most recent shelf. I’m sorry but if your story is number 8 in romance/drama/fantasy/whatever you don’t need on a shelf. You’re already number 8! Be happy for that and let others have a chance.

3 Likes

To be fair they are doing a much better job with this than they did last year, but this:

5 Likes

I didn’t really answer the question so I’ll do it now,
other than a sci-fi shelf as @Baleigh_episode suggested I don’t think that I’ve ever seen a Jewish heritage month shelf (or did I miss every single one of them?) which I find kind of weird since a big portion of Episode’s readers are Jewish themselves

3 Likes