What languages do you speak? Any suggestions?

Hi everyone! I’ve been wanting to learn a language for a while now, and my friend found this language school, so I was considering going. I speak a bit of French, a bit of Japanese, a bit of Chinese, but I’m not fluent and I can’t even have a conversation in any of them.

So, I was wondering, what languages do you speak? Preferably something not too complicated. Yes, I want something diverse, but the school is small and they just cut out of their program Hungarian, Finnish, and Basque, so it’s going to be a limited selection.

My friend is leaning towards Romanian, but she also likes Portuguese, Russian or Arabic.

Any suggestions?

20 Likes

I speak English (as you can probably already tell :sweat_smile: ) and I also speak Vietnamese, because… I just kinda had to learn. I’m Vietnamese, after all.

Maybe try Spanish? I learned that you can actually learn a bit from watching Dora the Explorer :rofl:

7 Likes

That’s what I forgot :joy:
I took Spanish in middle school, but I opted to take French in high school.

2 Likes

That’s good! It means some of it is still in your head, even if you don’t remember it
Spanish might be worth a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Besides English i also speak Russian and Latvian, (all fluently).

Maybe try Russian? :purple_heart:

4 Likes

I was thinking of taking Russian. It sounds fun and the course doesn’t seem to be that hard.

2 Likes

Well, then you should go for it!

1 Like

American Sign Language (ASL)

6 Likes

Oh that’s so cool! I didn’t think of sign language
@scarlettm Try @Yoshi 's suggestion!

1 Like

That sounds interesting. I never thought of learning that.

1 Like

Thank you. I learned it because it was the only language I could understand other than just regular English.

2 Likes

I mean, I’m more of a visual learner, so it would probably be easier to learn for me than for an auditory learner.

2 Likes

Same

1 Like

Hi! I’m from New Zealand and speak my native language - Māori.

My suggestion is any Polynesian language, really! They’re all so beautiful sounding. Unfortunately, a lot, if not ALL of them are dying in their usage. Especially Hawaiian.

I’m not sure how to explain if it would be complicated to learn or not from your perspective. Or even if your language school has any of them… but it’s my suggestion. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :blob_hearts:

6 Likes

I speak english russian, hebrew, Ukrainian a little bit of arabic . I think arabic would be an easier one bc russian is hard to foreigners to learn, good luck :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi there! Well, my native language is Italian, but I don’t recommend it if you’re looking for something easier to learn. Grammar can be a mess haha. I studied French for a few years and I noticed that its grammar is actually not that different from the Italian one (I could see some similarities). I’ve been learning German for years now and although it’s super hard for me as an Italian native speaker, it might be easier for you as an English native speaker. And then I recently started learning Japanese too, which is a mess hahah *laughing in pain * :'D

I guess from my personal experience I can recommend German. I love the language and it shouldn’t be too hard for you!

4 Likes

I speak German, Dutch and English. To be honest… German is a tough language to learn… I am not saying that you are totally wrong, @Malannee. :wink: But for a Dutch-native speaker it’s even difficult to speak and write German fluently. :wink: (And those languages are close to each other). Both languages Dutch and German have a lot of grammar and even alphabetical differences. But if you wanna learn German (or Dutch) I definitely support!!! :blush:

By the way Italian is also a beautiful language :wink:

5 Likes

I speak English, Mauritian Creole, French, Hindi and i’m learning Spanish.

3 Likes

Oh I guess I hadn’t thought of that. I didn’t know sorry :sweat_smile:

I just figured German was a hard language for those who speak romance languages or other non-related ones in general. I guess it’s a black beast for everyone then. A beautiful black beast though :black_heart:

I never tried to learn Dutch, mostly because I have yet to find people or schools that teach it here.

3 Likes

I got your point, dear… I learned Spanish for a year… And I still got troubles with reading or talking Spanish. :woman_facepalming:t2: Although I love the language… :wink: Italian and Spanish are difficult to learn for me. :innocent:

3 Likes