What languages do you speak? Any suggestions?

I never tried Spanish myself, but I did try French and idk why I just can’t get into it. So I get what you meant with you finding German difficult as a Dutch native speaker.

Also happy birthday! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Well, I speak Norwegian (Mother language), Swedish, English, some German and some Japanese.

I don’t know about easy, but Norwegian grammar is super simple, and very similar to English grammar. I guess the main issue with the language is the wide spectrum of dialects making it orally challenging, even as a native speaker. Some dialects are still heavily influenced by Old Norse, and basically incomprehensible to me. Buuut, generally speaking, you’ll be fine outside of the smaller communities around. Simply put, easy to learn, easy to master, but not universally applicable within Norway. If that makes sense.

Other than that, German is also something to recommend. The grammar is a mess, but orally it’s pretty simple I’d say.

5 Likes

Thank you!! :heartbeat:

2 Likes

My first language is actually Spanish, I learned English through school like any other Hispanic kid would when they get pulled out of class and get tutored for 2 hours every day of the week :v:t3:. I still struggle on what correct words to use when writing but I just go with it. I would actually love to learn how to write and read in Spanish more :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I speak Swedish:-p

2 Likes

Only English.

I’m learning French in hs rn. I did do some Spanish on Duolingo but I’m not fluent. I also want to learn German, Croatian, Arabic and so much more

4 Likes

I found French on Duolingo was hard at first. But now it isn’t so bad. It’s a romance language so most of the grammar rules apply.

2 Likes

Learn that alphabet!!

2 Likes

Danish, cant recomand

1. its very deficult,
  2. most Danish people speak english anyway,
4 Likes

Hey, I’m brazilian (so I speak portuguese) and I would definitely recommend it! It can be a bit hard tho, but I’ve heard a lot of people say that if you know something from French it gets easier because the structure is very simillar (you just have to memorize the vocabulary) :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m from the Netherlands, so I speak Dutch and as you can read, I also speak some English :grin:
I’ve had 5 years French in school, so I kiiinda can speak French too. Same goes for German, I’ve had a year German in school and the language is kinda similar to Dutch and my grandmother can speak it :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m from Croatia, so my mother tongue is Croatian. I’ve been learning English for 9 years, and I’m also learning German (I can only write it, not speak it) Idk; if I should recommend you learning Croatian because it’s a tough language it has tons of grammar, but if you do you’ll automatically know three languages :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (Cuz in Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina they speak almost identical, some words are different) so yeah try it if you want :smile:

6 Likes

Maar toch is Duits wel moeilijk soms… Ook voor Nederlanders… :zipper_mouth_face::wink: Ik herinner mij die naamvallen :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Ja pff verschrikkelijk, gelukkig had ik Duits maar 1 jaar :joy: Ik weet alleen een paar Duitse zinnen en woorden door mijn oma en moeder, haha

2 Likes

Ik praat liever Engels dan Duits om eerlijk te zijn :laughing::mask:

3 Likes

Ik ook, veel makkelijker en ik kan het ook beter :rofl:

2 Likes

By the way, ben je jarig vandaag want ik zie een taart bij je naam? Gefeliciteerd :blob_hearts: :gift: :tada:

2 Likes

Dankjewel!!! :heartbeat:

2 Likes

I’d say, French, I’m Indian, and like any other Indian kid, you learn English almost like a mother-tongue, so I know more English than I know Hindi :rofl: Doesn’t make sense, I know… I also know Polish, since I transferred to Poland like 4 years ago? But I’d just like to point out that as a speaker of English, French is easy if you want to learn, look, don’t get me wrong, but every language is difficult if you don’t want to learn it :woman_shrugging:t4: Or as they say, don’t have the will-power to learn, so I’d recommend choosing a language you want to learn :blush:

3 Likes

Um ok lemme make a list:

• English
  • French
  • Kannada
  • Hindi
  • Telugu
2 Likes