What makes a episode story worth reading?

What characteristics does a episode story have that makes you want to keep reading it? What are some things that instantly make you want to stop reading the story?

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is a general discussion topic and not about story ideas or reviews. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

Here are some things that make me want to keep reading. Remember, these are just my opinion.

When the LI and MC met each other when they were children
When the MC isn’t afraid to speak up about her rights
When the MC has control over the LI
When the story has 20+ chapters
Point System

2 Likes
  • When the storyline is insanely good
  • Really good character development
  • Choices
  • Side stories within the main story
  • Really good directing (plot and characters are far more important than directing, but directing needs to be good)

These are all personal tastes.

2 Likes

Hey bree.hanson21,

I will give you the likes and dislikes of a story. :wink:

• Surprising storyline (something you don’t expect);
  • Advanced coding (so, you see the writer takes the time for his/her story);
  • Slow burning relationships;
  • Interactivity with the reader → get the reader ‘s*cked’ weird sentence, but you get my point in the story;
  • LGBTQ+/Romance/Drama/Fantasy (and/or :wink: ), No wait and No gem choices;

Dislikes:

• Too many black screens (get me on my nerves…);
  • Authors character takes half of the time of the storyline (I get it… You may have your own character → I have that too… But not in every episode half of the story time.;
  • Too many LI’s → I prefer 1;
  • One whole episode for only CC;
  • Mean girls and creepy alley guys popping out of nowhere → little too cliche;
  • Bad grammar and spelling → I am not a native English speaker, but I check my spelling during coding;
  • Wrong layering → like people walking through each other or kissing the wrong way;
  • Toxic relationships, violence against the LGBTQ+ community and/or racism;
  • Entering and exiting left or right → go from spot to spot… It’s irritating and weird if you see in a story a kid entering and exiting, while they grow if the leave or shrink into the spot.

If you’d like some more advice PM me over here or DM me at Instagram @angelwings_1983

Love A-W

Here’s some things that keep me reading.

Original ideas: I’m talking about story ideas that are not commonly used. I don’t really want to read 20 different stories with the same or similar plot. Make it unique m. What’s so special about the story?

Choices: bonus if choices matter

Good directing: It doesn’t have to be perfect but good enough where I don’t characters standing in the same spots for the whole story. Give me the zoomszz.

Plot twists: Yes, I love a good plot twist. There’s been some stories where I’m actually surprised :sob: it keeps me reading. Bonus if it ends on a cliffhanger.

Representation of LGBT community: This is more of a me thing but I’m 95% more likely to read a story that has a female li just because Its hard now a days to find good lgbt rep. To anyone that wants to add a female branch please avoid JUST swapping out pronouns. I’ve read stories with female li and the female is like a captain of the football team (nice!) but the rest of her team is males and she shares a locker room with them? Eh, no.

Slow burn: I love slow burns because you get a chance to get that sweet character development. Try to avoid having characters be in love with each other within the first 3 chapters. Love at first sight is cool and all but its not my cup of tea.

Different angles: More of a personal thing but it’s nice to see a story that has different camera angles. Like over the shoulder type thing. I won’t stop reading a story if it doesn’t have this but it’s a plus in my book :sweat_smile: or maybe im just weird like that.

Ok, now here are some dislikes.

Author introductions: A few lines here and there in the beginning is ok, but not half the story please. Bonus points if the MC or love interest pops In.

Predictable: I’m on the fence with this one. It won’t stop me from reading but I’ll get bored since I’m already positive I know what’s gonna happen next. There’s been times where I literally gasp cause I didn’t not expect something to happen :sweat_smile:

Toxic LI: I see this more in mafia stories (Which I avoid in general) but murderous men is not a cute look on “baddies”

Misrepresentation: Do some research before you add any type of topics to your story. It can be something so small but yet someone reading it might not like it. I can write a whole essay about this, but I’m sure you get the point.

Fast paced: This is more for Romance/drama stories where the plot is moving way tooo fast. Too fast to the point where you have plot holes all over the place.

Bad grammar

Wrong layering

Overused tropes Ex: bad boy next door, mean girl, orrr you just add a character that hates the character for no reason?

Mafia stories: I avoid these for many reasons.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.