What makes a good story in your opinion?

So I am writing my first story here on episode and I wanted to see what are some important things in stories for you.
-How long should be one chapter?
-Story with a lot or less characters?
-One love interest or more?
-Do grammar mistakes matter?
-Does it matter when story don’t have art scenes?
-Would a story with less reads be in your favourites?
-Does directing need to be really good or you can still read it with average directing skills?
-Would you click on story with bad cover?

Thanks for answering and feel free to add criteria that matter to you :grin: :heart:

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community since it doesn’t fit into any of the Creator’s Corner subforums. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

Untill you reach to 400 lines.
Im not sure how long one chapter will be though, but until you reach 400 lines, you can stop.

Hm, your story, your characters, you can have maybe 5.

1 should be fine.

To me, not really, but at least you can improve. It matters to some people, but to me, it doesnt really matter. Yes you can have grammar mistakes, and that is fine.

It doesnt matter at all. You can include art scenes IF you want to, and if you dont that is still fine.

Yes.

-Does directing need to be really good or you can still read it with average directing skills?

Doesn’t matter, You are a beginner, practice makes perfect with directing. I will still read it :wink:

Of course! I dont really care if the cover is bad. It was worth it. You took the time to make your own cover, and that is good.

1 Like

How long should be one chapter?
the bare minimum s 400 but id say 1200-2000 lines

A few but i don’t want to many or it will be hard to keep track :slight_smile:
2?.. maybe
Sometimes to be honest it annoys me but if the story is really good i dont mind.

Not at all many sucessful stories don’t have art scences

ofc.
I mean if you have tired your hardest i’d read but some people just don’t try and thats a let down. you don’t nedd AMAZING directing to have a good story. lol
Yes. its the content thats counts however, a good cover is eye catching!

2 Likes

It depends on how much advanced directing you want to put into it, the minimum would be 400 lines, I’m not sure how long that is, but I prefer stories with episodes that are around 15-20 minutes long (it sounds like a lot but it is achievable).

I’d say less for the main characters, and a good amount for background characters. You don’t necessarily have to have background characters but it affects aesthetic.

One love interest would be nice, I wouldn’t mind more than one though.

Yes, it’s a big factor even though some may not admit it, it’s a big pet peeve. As long as the grammar mistakes aren’t constant, then it shouldn’t be a problem, it gets annoying when there’s the same mistakes getting repeated again and again, maybe you could get someone to check grammar for you.

No it doesn’t matter.

It depends if it’s good or not, but I’m open to new experiences, I always try reading stories with less reads.

Average directing skills are alright, as long as it’s not too awkward, I’m not expecting overlays all over the place and zooms and pans going everywhere.

In my opinion, sometimes I know “don’t judge a book by its cover” is important, but it just doesn’t interest me. Im sure if you don’t think you could make a cover that looks well, then you could find a hundred of artists, including myself, here to do your cover. The cover and intro is basically the “selling point” of a basic story.

3 Likes

@lanafrazer.episode I’ m going to cheat on you for the presentation :shushing_face:

Honestly, it depends. Some readers will prefer long episodes, other the shortest one ( well, not to short, because of the pass you know…:wink:).
Just let your imagination doing the job, but maybe something around 1 000 lines…

Story with a lot or less characters?
I really like when a story is full of characters, when you can see the relationship getting stronger between them, when every single one of them has an unique personality! :grin:
But, some story needs to have just a few character to have more impact.
You’re the only one to know how many characters you will need in your story.

I don’t really care about that, as long as you don’t make in the cliché " oh my god, he’s sooo cuuuuute! I know him since 2 seconds but let’s make a baby together!" :joy::joy: I think you’ve understood my point​:sweat_smile:

Well, I’m not english so some mistakes don’t bother me but something like “you’re” instead of “your”…:scream:

**-Does it matter when story don’t have art scene? **
Not at all! It’s sure that everybody loves art scene but a story can be awesome without it.

Would a story with less reads be in your favourites?
Sure! As long as your plot is interesting.:blush:

Does directing need to be really god or you can still read it with average directing skills?
I’m not an expert so I won’t judge your directing. When I’m really into a story, I can totally forget the directing part.

**Would you click on story with bad cover? **
First, bad covers don’t exist, they all have their own style, that’s all! Then, we’re not having the same taste so even if a cover seems bad to you, someone will probably find it amazing.:grinning:
So, it’s true that I’m looking at the cover before reading a story but, overall, I’m looking at the plot.

I hope that it will be helpful…
Good luck with your story and feel free to pm me when you’re going to publish it, I’ll be glad to read it! :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Okay. Thanks :kissing_heart:

1 Like

WOW great answer.
You helped me a lot.
Thank you :heart:
I will PM you when I publish :smile:

1 Like

I totally agree with you.
Thanks for your answer :heart: :grinning:

Thanks for your answers.
I will keep them in mind. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
I agree with you :heart:

1 Like

@Merit18 lol

1 Like

At least 10 minutes. I personally think 13-17 minutes is a good “range” but 10-15 minutes seems to be the most popular. (You’re looking at roughly 1200 lines, depending on how you direct).

It completely depends on the story. You don’t want there to be so many characters that the reader gets confused.

One love interest or more?
Again it depends on the story but you want to make sure that you develop each love interest properly. It might be better to start with one, unless the story really calls for two. Some authors include one male and one female love interest and use points to determine which one you build a connection with.

Do grammar mistakes matter?
A couple minor errors? No. Constant grammar errors and sentences that I have to reread because they don’t make sense? I’ll be exiting that story straight away.

Does it matter when story don’t have art scenes?
No. In general, I prefer stories without art scenes. :woman_shrugging:

Yes. I think I have a couple in my recommendations right now with around 1k reads and I shared a story on the social feed the other day with 100ish reads.

Does directing need to be really good or you can still read it with average directing skills?
As long as the directing is clean (no major errors such as characters popping in all the time, standing on top of each other and sliding all over the place), then I’ll still read it.

Would you click on story with bad cover?
Sure! But I probably won’t click on a story with no cover at all.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for answering. You helped :heart: :grin:

1 Like

Héhé… glad to help you! :wink:
I can’t wait for your story, and if you need anything else, maybe I could be useful, or maybe not…:smirk:

1 Like

I am kinda new to al of this and I am so happy that here I can find a lot of very nice people like you :smiley: :smile:

1 Like

np. Let me know when u publish yr story so i can give it a read :wink:

1 Like

Sure I will let you know :heart: :grin:

1 Like

Ohhh you’re sweet :kissing_heart:
We’ve all been new once, and it helps to know that there are people on which you can count😁

1 Like

I would say 10-15 minutes, but it also depends on your content. You don’t want have random filler scenes just to make it longer if it’s not contributing to the plot at all. Plenty of people can still write a substantial amount of content and it only takes 5 minutes to read it (but they still might get complaints from people who wasted passes)

Definitely depends on the story itself. I don’t really have a preference either way, but what I will say is if you’re going to have a lot of characters, make sure they all look different so it’s not confusing for the readers.

One love interest or more?
I actually think this depends on two things.

1. Genre
  2. Length of story

If it’s a romance I only prefer one love interest so then we’re only focusing on one relationship. If it’s drama or even comedy, it can be beneficial to have multiple love interests. For all other genres, it could really go either way depending on content.

Why I say the length of the story is because if you’re only doing a shortish kind of story (less than 10 episodes), it can be hard to develop multiple love interests, so it’s better to stick to one.

Do grammar mistakes matter?
If it’s constant throughout, yeah it matters, but tbh I would probably still read on if I liked it enough.

Does it matter when story don’t have art scenes?
I actually don’t really like art scenes. They’re pretty, sure, but I just don’t understand why it’s such a big deal.

Yes. A while ago I started only recommending stories under 5k reads on m shelf, so most things in my favourites are also less than that.

Does directing need to be really good or you can still read it with average directing skills?
Sometimes average directing can still be really good. The only directing error I won’t stand for is when the characters ‘pop’ in one by one after the scene instead of already being spot placed, but I don’t mind if it’s only minimal zooms, etc. as long as the plot’s still good.

Would you click on story with bad cover?
Define “bad”…? But I’ve clicked on stories that have the default, Episode ones, so I guess my answer is yes hahah.

2 Likes