What makes a MC "relatable" for you?

Their backstory? Personality? Likes & dislikes? How they look? Where they live? Sexuality? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Their backstory.
Their personality.
Likes/dislikes.
I don’t necessarily think a characters sexuality matters lol

3 Likes

Backstory, yes. Personality, yes. Likes and dislikes, yes. How they look, no. Where they live, no. Sexuality, no. Lol!

1 Like

Personality mostly, backstory on some level, but usually backstory connects to the personality anyways.

1 Like

Backstory, personality and likes/dislikes!

1 Like

I think shortcomings and mistakes, everyone isn’t perfect, we all slip up sometimes. I don’t see how anyone can relate to a flawless MC.

4 Likes

For me, it’s really how the MC evolves and tries to fix their mistake/learn from it.
The rest doesn’t really matter, but it’s always fun when there’s a bit more representation and when there’s character development. :slightly_smiling_face:

And I personally don’t think I NEED to relate to a character at all times, because then it would be kinda boring.

3 Likes

Personality backstory likes and dislikes sexuality doesn’t bother me

2 Likes

Hello @IndieEpisode, this is Sydney the moderator. Welcome to the forum. :smiley: Moved this to Episode Fan Community since Share Feedback is for story ideas and reviews. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

It all makes them relateable to me its important

Personality:i cant relate to these cliche mary sues(agressive/“bad girl”/bitchy/“strong”) types nor the extroverted social butterflies

Backstory: cant relate to the MC thts had a best friend for years in her life or has a group of friends. MC has an overly sad backstory, or “happy” cliche one.

Apperance: im a black woman so
ill leave “relatabillity” at that

1 Like

most of the backstories of MC’s can be a bit depressing and i’m sad to say that i relate to most of it. even the MC’s i create can have backstories that freaking suck. either that, or i create the backstory of an MC to be bright and cheery to make me feel better lol

1 Like

Personality, likes/dislikes, and sense of humor.

Can relate to: MCs that have realistic flaws and have a few things in common with me (doesn’t have to be everything but I relate better to MCs that share my values)
Can’t relate to: MCs that have a perfect life, always make the right decision, Mary Sues, are rude to everyone for no particular reason, talk like robots, or are nothing like me all.

4 Likes

Personality, attitude towards challenges, how they behave when they fail or when they’re upset or sad, and how they behave when they realize they’re wrong. Their actions just in general.

Like, I don’t relate to characters that never have any consequences or tragedy or characters that don’t react to bad things happening around them “Oh my mom just died? That’s sad. What’s next??” Like
um
excuse me? How about some personality, please? LOL

3 Likes

personality, mostly.

also if they really love food

2 Likes

For me, realistic weaknesses and the way they tackle challenges are very important. A flawless character, who never makes mistakes, just leaves a hole for me. I need to see a character struggle at times, be able to maybe even hate something they do or don‘t do. A perfect character makes it ubrelatable for me and leaves me unattached.

Also, a somewhat (episode pace) realistic development. Meaning: If a character switches personalities too quickly, I get detached. I like to see a character grow or change. Not over the pace of about 76 episodes, but at a reasonable pace that makes me grow with them as a reader.

All in all, for me it comes down to motives. If a character acts based on motivations that make sense for them, I’ll fall in love with the characters :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.